Tuchel defends Neymar after PSG fans call for Barca and Madrid target to leave

By Sports Desk August 11, 2019

Paris Saint-Germain head coach Thomas Tuchel defended Neymar after the wantaway star was targeted by the club's own supporters during Sunday's Ligue 1 win over Nimes.

Neymar – tipped to leave the French champions amid links to Barcelona and Real Madrid – sat out the 3-0 victory against Nimes as PSG opened their title defence with three points.

Amid growing speculation over an imminent departure, sections of the Parc des Princes aimed derogatory chants towards Neymar before and during the match.

"It's a little difficult, I don't know what to say. I saw [the public's reaction on Neymar] on my colleagues' phones because I hadn't heard that during the game," Tuchel said about the chants directed at Neymar.

"Can I understand that? Yes and no, that's the way it is in our lives. The emotions are serious, the emotions are still there, okay. But on the other hand, Neymar is still our player, still my player, and I will always protect my players. He's in the locker room, he's here and I'll protect him.

"I can understand that not everyone likes what he said and what he did. I understand, but we have to express a level to express our emotion."

Asked if PSG missed Neymar against Nimes, Tuchel added: "He is still missing, because he can find solutions that only he can find. He can open spaces with movements, accelerations, one against the other.

"It was a little lacking today to be more decisive in the first half. But we have to find other solutions, we have to give rhythm with passes, with intensive runs. But it's clear, he's Neymar, and he has extraordinary qualities. If he is not on the field, he is missing, but it is our challenge to find solutions. We still have to improve."

While Neymar was absent on Sunday, Edinson Cavani, last season's top scorer Kylian Mbappe and Angel Di Maria led the way for PSG in Paris.

After Cavani broke the deadlock via the penalty spot in the first half, Mbappe and Di Maria put the result beyond doubt following the interval.

"The best thing is that they [Neymar and Mbappe] play together," Tuchel said. "It is not a question of whether Mbappe can give more when Neymar is not there.

"Kylian gives a lot, he's been very focused for four weeks now. He puts a lot of intensity into training, into matches. It's great for the team to improve. But the best thing is that Neymar is next to him."

Mbappe, who hinted he could be ready for a "new project" following the 2018-19 season, scored a Ligue 1-high 33 goals as PSG retained their crown last term.

"As I said last year, he is invited by the club to take more responsibilities every day. Taking responsibilities does not mean taking every penalty, hitting every corner or every free-kick," Tuchel continued. "It's not like that, there are many ways to take responsibilities, and he does that.

"He started this season with a lot of concentration, I'm very happy. He's here, I have a feeling he's happy. He has objectives for himself and the team, and he does everything to achieve them. He gives his opinion, and we're going to keep developing that. He has a good relationship with everyone, he is reliable."

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Manchester United launch £30m Bellingham bid Rumour Has It: Manchester United launch £30m Bellingham bid

    Manchester United have lined up another exciting midfield transfer target amid their ongoing pursuit of Bruno Fernandes.

    As the wrangling over figures with Sporting CP continues, the Red Devils have reportedly submitted a sizeable offer to Birmingham City for teenage talent Jude Bellingham.

    But making the first move might only spark a European bidding war.

     

    TOP STORY – UNITED SUBMIT BELLINGHAM BID

    Birmingham youngster Bellingham's clear potential has convinced United to launch an offer worth more than £30million, reports the Sun and Sky Sports.

    The 16-year-old midfielder has burst onto the scene this season and the Old Trafford outfit are understood to be keen to test him in the Premier League.

    However, they could face stiff competition from Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Borussia Dortmund, Liverpool and other heavyweight clubs across the continent.

    The Mirror, meanwhile, claims United have made a "breakthrough" in negotiations for Portugal international Fernandes, having reached a "compromise" transfer fee in the region of £55m.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - David Beckham's Inter Miami have contacted Manchester City striker Sergio Aguero to assess his interest in a switch to MLS, adds the Sun.

    - Tottenham have enquired about Real Madrid winger and former Spurs star Gareth Bale, according to Spanish television programme El Chiringuito.

    - Barcelona, still searching for a new striker, have ruled out RB Leipzig's Timo Werner and Lille's Victor Osimhen, suggests Mundo Deportivo, with Valencia's Rodrigo Moreno a more likely target.

    - Serie A side Roma are set to discuss personal terms with Matteo Politano after agreeing a €25million fee with Inter, according to Sky Sport Italia.

    - Inter, meanwhile, are said to be in discussions with United youngster Tahith Chong, who is also on Chinese outfit Jiangsu Suning's radar as his contract runs close to expiring, says Sky Sport Italia.

    - Brescia midfielder Sandro Tonali is interesting Premier League champions City and Ligue 1 leaders Paris Saint-Germain, reports SportMediaset.

  • Championship: Preston topple Tykes to go sixth, tempers flare as Boro deny Blues Championship: Preston topple Tykes to go sixth, tempers flare as Boro deny Blues

    Tom Barkhuizen scored a first-half double as Preston North End beat Barnsley 3-0 to go sixth in the Championship and tempers flared when Birmingham City had a late winner disallowed at Middlesbrough on Tuesday.

    Preston replaced Swansea City in the final play-off spot after dominating the first half at Oakwell, forward Barkhuizen grabbing a brace either side of Daniel Johnson's strike.

    Defeat for the third-bottom Tykes leaves them four points behind Stoke City, who sit directly above the relegation zone.

    Ashley Fletcher salvaged a 1-1 draw for Boro after Lukas Jutkiewicz headed Birmingham in front against his former club in the first half.

    Lee Camp saved a Paddy McNair penalty before Jutkiewicz nodded in, but Fletcher was on target nine minutes from time for Jonathan Woodgate's side.

    There was drama in the closing stages when Jutkiewicz had the ball in the back of the net but the goal was chalked off by referee Andy Woolmer, with Boro winger Marcus Tavernier down injured.

    That sparked a touchline melee, resulting in Blues head of performance Sean Rush and Boro assistant Leo Percovich being sent off. A point apiece leaves Boro and Blues 17th and 18th respectively.

     

  • Insigne guides Napoli past Lazio in action-packed Coppa quarter-final Insigne guides Napoli past Lazio in action-packed Coppa quarter-final

    Lorenzo Insigne's fine solo goal proved the difference in an enthralling encounter as Napoli beat in-form Lazio 1-0 to advance to the Coppa Italia semi-finals.

    Elseid Hysaj and Lucas Leiva were dismissed in the opening period, the latter shown a straight red after protesting against a booking, as Napoli handed Lazio just their third loss in 17 games in all competitions.

    Insigne guided a cool finish past Thomas Strakosha after dribbling in from the left in the second minute, but Ciro Immobile missed a chance to equalise from the spot eight minutes later - Serie A's leading goalscorer losing his footing and looping his penalty over the crossbar.

    Arkadiusz Milik saw a header come back off the post with 20 minutes remaining, with Immobile volleying against the bar before Mario Rui curled an effort against the woodwork in a frantic finale.

    However, Napoli held on for a win - just their third since Gennaro Gattuso took over in December - that set up a last-four meeting with Fiorentina or Inter.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.