Pochettino satisfied with injury hit Tottenham squad after late arrivals

By Sports Desk August 09, 2019

Tottenham will be without several players for their Premier League opener against Aston Villa but Mauricio Pochettino insists he is happy with his squad.

Dele Alli and new signing Ryan Sessegnon have been ruled out of the match with hamstring injuries, while defenders Juan Foyth and Ben Davies are sidelined by ankle and groin issues respectively.

Star forward Son Heung-min is set to serve the second of a three-game suspension, leaving manager Pochettino light on options at both ends of the pitch.

The Argentinian appeared frustrated last month when he claimed to have no influence over transfers as Tottenham took time to strengthen.

Versatile teenager Sessegnon and midfielder Giovani Lo Celso eventually arrived on deadline day, following club-record signing Tanguy Ndombele through the door.

"I am very happy," Pochettino told reporters on Friday. "I was happy with my squad and to add some more players, they can bring good energy and help us to achieve what we want.

"I was focused on trying to work hard to coach in the best way.

"I hoped the club would do the job that we want to try to bring players in and to try to be competitive with our opponents."

Pochettino admitted 19-year-old wing-back Sessegnon, who agreed a six-year deal, could be held back before entering the first-team equation.

"He doesn't have that much experience in the Premier League, maybe he is a little bit behind Lo Celso and Ndombele in age – they have more experience playing in a top level," he said.

"Maybe he needs three or four weeks out of the group, and we will see how he adapts.

"I think we have made signings for the future. The players will have opportunities to play. There is no pressure on him, or Lo Celso or Tanguy, they arrive from different leagues and they still need to adapt to the new philosophy and the new club.

"It is the responsibility of the senior players to help them, but it is important to give them time."

Related items

  • Dalot reflects on 'tough journey' at Man Utd after scoring first Red Devils goal Dalot reflects on 'tough journey' at Man Utd after scoring first Red Devils goal

    Diogo Dalot admits he has gone through a "tough journey" at Manchester United after scoring his first goal for the club against Tranmere Rovers.

    Making his first start in all competitions since October, Dalot struck a fine second in United's 6-0 FA Cup fourth-round victory at Prenton Park, turning smartly after collecting Anthony Martial's pass and firing home.

    It was a moment to savour for the 20-year-old, who has been restricted to six appearances in all competitions due to injury.

    Indeed, physical problems have largely halted Dalot's progress at Old Trafford since an encouraging first season following his move from Porto in 2018.

    Speaking of his strike against Tranmere, Dalot told United's in-house media: "Yeah, [the celebration] was more like a release of something I've been feeling inside me after these three months.

    "It's been a tough journey, but like I said, these kinds of things, a win and a goal make us feel like I'm doing a good job in fighting, working every day and taking the opportunities."

    United claimed their biggest away win since 1999 thanks to goals from Dalot, Harry Maguire, Jesse Lingard, Phil Jones, Martial and Mason Greenwood.

    It was a boost in confidence for the Red Devils, who had only won two of their previous seven games in all competitions and failed to score in back-to-back Premier League defeats to Liverpool and Burnley.

    With the second leg of the EFL Cup semi-final against Manchester City to come on Wednesday, Dalot was proud of the way the players fought for a result.

    "[It was] like a big fight," he said. "If we didn't come with the right desire and the right mentality, we could make it more difficult.

    "Like I said, today we did a good job: right mentality, proper fight, respect the opponent and we get the win.

    "It's what we work for every day for, these kinds of games, for this kind of fight and now we're focused on tomorrow and we go again on Wednesday."

    United trail City 3-1 from the first leg.

  • Eriksen arrives in Milan ahead of Inter move Eriksen arrives in Milan ahead of Inter move

    Christian Eriksen has arrived in Milan ahead of an expected transfer to Inter from Tottenham.

    The Denmark international touched down on Monday and is due to undergo a medical with the Nerazzurri.

    Inter are expected to pay a €20million fee for the 27-year-old, whose Spurs contract runs out at the end of the 2019-20 season.

    Eriksen will reportedly sign a contract until June 2024 that could be worth €380,000 per week including add-ons.

    His future has been one of the sagas of the transfer window, with Inter initially unable to agree a deal with Spurs despite the risk of Eriksen leaving for free at the end of the season.

    Spurs head coach Jose Mourinho admitted after the 1-1 FA Cup draw with Southampton on Saturday that the protracted nature of the talks had left him frustrated.

    "It is not Tottenham's fault that on the 25th of January we are in the situation," he said.

    "The only thing I can say is Eriksen, since I arrived, he is behaving in a very, very professional way, with me and the team.

    "Tottenham is the last one to blame for this situation, but to be on the 25th of January in a situation like this is not nice."

    Spurs also confirmed on Monday that Brandon Austin is to join Viborg on loan until the end of the season.

    The 21-year-old goalkeeper, who signed a new Spurs deal running to 2022 in December, will move to Denmark subject to international clearance.

  • Rumour Has It: Tottenham close in on PSV winger Bergwijn Rumour Has It: Tottenham close in on PSV winger Bergwijn

    Tottenham appear set to soften Christian Eriksen's exit by making their second January signing.

    Almost two weeks after landing Gedson Fernandes on loan, the Premier League side are reportedly on the cusp of capturing Steven Bergwijn from PSV.

    The impending transfer has caused unrest in Eindhoven, where there is said to be animosity towards Spurs.

     

    TOP STORY - SPURS TO SIGN BERGWIJN

    Tottenham are closing in on the €30million (£25.3m) acquisition of Dutch winger Bergwijn, according to the Guardian.

    The 22-year-old, capped nine times at international level, has reportedly travelled to London to finalise the deal.

    PSV's interim head coach Ernest Faber claimed Bergwijn asked to be left out of Sunday's 1-1 Eredivisie draw against Twente, telling reporters: "It's his choice. We only need players who are 100 per cent focused on PSV."

    The former Ajax youth player later clarified his version of events in a video uploaded to his Instagram account, where he insisted he was not a "rat" and that Faber had given his blessing to the switch.

    Bergwijn was linked to Bayern Munich in 2019.

     

    ROUND-UP 

    - It could be Bergwijn in, Eriksen out to begin the week for Spurs. Sky Sport Italia says the Denmark international will ink his Inter contract after undergoing a medical on Monday. 

    - LaLiga side Sevilla are working to sign Milan winger Suso on an initial 18-month loan deal, claims CalcioMercato. 

    - Could former Newcastle United and Paris Saint-Germain enigma Hatem Ben Arfa finally be about to find a new home? The 32-year-old, a free agent since leaving Rennes, is on the verge of joining Real Valladolid, reports Mundo Deportivo. 

    - Crystal Palace have rejected a bid from PSV bid for £9m-rated left-back Patrick van Aanholt, says the Daily Mail.

    - West Ham and Burnley are monitoring Sampdoria's ex-Leeds United midfielder Ronaldo Vieira, according to the Athletic.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.