Witsel revels in Bayern's Sancho fear

By Sports Desk August 04, 2019

Axel Witsel was left revelling in the fear of Bayern Munich's defence after claiming they were "scared" of Jadon Sancho in Borussia Dortmund's 2-0 DFL-Supercup win on Saturday.

Dortmund looked the more threatening and inventive side for much of the game in Germany's traditional curtain-raiser, with Paco Alcacer and Sancho getting the goals.

Sancho also set up the opener, dazzling the Bayern defence on a solo run, before teeing up Alcacer for a sweeping finish from the edge of the box.

England international Sancho picked up from where he left off last season, when he scored 12 Bundesliga goals and recorded a league-high 14 assists.

Dortmund managed to see off reported interest from Manchester United to keep the winger, and on the evidence of Saturday's match, Sancho will be tormenting Bundesliga defences again this term.

"Jadon is damn talented," Witsel told reporters. "Even Bayern's defenders are scared when he has the ball.

"But that's normal, because Jadon just has a lot of quality. He is fast, technically strong and he can score goals as well as putting his team-mates in the spotlight. He really is a complete player."

Despite the relatively comfortable nature of the victory, Witsel was not getting carried away and was adamant Bayern's form will pick up.

"It is a good sign, but we have to keep working hard," he added. "Before the game, we said we are quite self-confident.

"If you're playing against Bayern and you're not self-confident, like we were in April [when Bayern won 5-0], then you have no chance. You cannot win if you do not play [in a positive fashion] against Bayern.

"It will be a very long season and, in the end, Bayern are still Bayern. That means we have to get back to work."

Related items

  • Simeone dismisses suggestion he has lost Atletico Madrid dressing room Simeone dismisses suggestion he has lost Atletico Madrid dressing room

    Head coach Diego Simeone has dismissed suggestions he has lost the dressing room at Atletico Madrid.

    Atleti are sixth in LaLiga after 14 matches on 25 points - six behind leaders Barcelona, who are ahead of second-placed Real Madrid on goal difference.

    But Simeone played down talk he no longer has the confidence of the Atleti players following an underwhelming start to the campaign.

    The 49-year-old claims such questions have been a regular feature of his tenure and was bullish at a news conference on Thursday.

    "In the eight years that I have been here, it has been said that the group was not with me every year," Simeone said ahead of Friday's clash with Villarreal.

    "There is always a moment of speculation. However, we move forward with patience and lots of energy.

    "I don't think there has been more criticism than in other seasons.

    "The responsibility I have is a lot. I assume it and share it with players, club, people who work in the dressing room.

    "We all have responsibility - mine is important, I assume it and I look for solutions so that everything returns to the best situation, which is to win. When you win, everything looks much better."

    Simeone acknowledged Atletico are, to some extent, in a season of transition, but it will not affect his daily approach.

    He added: "The ones who think that the word 'transition' leads to sunbathing and waiting for the flowers to come out don't know me.

    "I always imagine positive things, and within them, there are situations that can be improved.

    "Our goal is to compete game after game. We will not change. Reality is what counts, day to day."

    Having been dealt a blow by last week's defeat to Barca, Simeone has urged his players to focus on catching Athletic Bilbao, Real Sociedad and Sevilla - immediately above them in the table - rather than worrying about LaLiga's top two.

    "We look at the one closest to us," he said. "We must always look at the one closest to us. It is the best way to approach those who are further away - first, go for those who are closest."

  • Inter boss Conte confirms he turned down Roma job Inter boss Conte confirms he turned down Roma job

    Inter head coach Antonio Conte has confirmed he turned down the chance to join Roma earlier this year.

    Conte was linked to Roma before taking over at Inter and, ahead of a meeting between the two sides on Friday, revealed he held preliminary talks with the Giallorossi.

    The move came in the off-season, before Conte knew of Inter's interest, but the former Chelsea boss decided the timing was not right.

    Conte spoke to ex-Italy team-mate and Roma legend Francesco Totti about the position before Paulo Fonseca was appointed in June 2019.

    Totti, who spent his entire playing career with Roma, was a director at the club until he resigned the same month as Fonseca was installed.

    Conte told a news conference: "With Francesco, there is a long-standing friendship. He explained the situation to me and told me about the possibility of Roma.

    "I made an assessment in a very calm manner and thought it was not the right time. 

    "At that moment, however, an offer from Inter was not there. There were no other teams. I made my evaluation and I decided to decline the proposal in a very respectful manner. 

    "I know it's a huge club, but it wasn't the time. Maybe in the future."

    Conte has been impressed by the job Fonseca has done at Roma, who are fifth in the Serie A table and nine points behind leaders Inter.

    "He is demonstrating his qualities after his time in Ukraine [with Shakhtar Donetsk]," Conte added.

    "Here, you have to settle in, your opponents study you and prepare very well to stop you. He brought an idea and also used it in Serie A. 

    "Roma deserve compliments. They have a competitive squad made up of experienced players and very good talents.

    "They are in a great moment of form. Roma have a maturity, strength and knowledge which will force us to show them respect."

    Meanwhile, Roma have been boosted by the availability of striker Edin Dzeko for the match.

    The 33-year-old Bosnia international had been struggling with a bout of flu but will be in the squad that travels to Milan for the clash at San Siro.

    Fonseca said: "He missed the last couple of sessions but Edin trained with the group today – he's fit to play."

  • 'Black Friday' headline focusing on Lukaku and Smalling defended as 'innocent' by newspaper 'Black Friday' headline focusing on Lukaku and Smalling defended as 'innocent' by newspaper

    Italian newspaper Corriere dello Sport has defended its "Black Friday" headline ahead of Romelu Lukaku's reunion with former team-mate Chris Smalling as "innocent".

    Inter and Roma face each other on Friday in a match that will see two of Serie A's form teams clash.

    But "Black Friday", a term used to describe the first Friday after Thanksgiving in the United States when retail sales mark the start of the Christmas shopping period, saw the publication focus on the meeting of former Manchester United colleagues Smalling and Lukaku, both of whom are black.

    The front-page splash has attracted widespread criticism, with Roma, Inter, Milan and Fiorentina among those to respond.

    But Corriere has hit back with a remarkable defence, adamant those criticising the article do so because it is they who are bigoted. The publication claims the headline was designed to hail diversity.

    "Digital platforms? I'd rather say rubbish bins," Corriere wrote of social media, where much of the criticism has originated. "Made up by noble grudges and cheap disdain. A good thought a day turns the doctor away.

    "Armies of conformist people surf around the web these days just to paint their good souls whiter. Once the daily racist is spotted, there you go, a handful of strikes to the keyboard and the stain fades away. You feel a better man in a better world. White, black and yellow.

    "The denial of the difference is the macroscopic typical mistake of the racism hidden within the anti-racism movements. The mental rabble of the Sunday moralist, and even a Thursday is a Sunday.

    "'Black Friday', for he who wants to and can understand, is only the praise for difference [diversity], the pride of difference, the wonderful wealth of difference. If you don't get it, it is because you can't or you don't want to.

    "[It was] an innocent headline, so perfectly explained by Roberto Perrone [the author of the article], is transformed into poison by those who have poison in themselves."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.