Norwegian club IK Start battle to keep Lowe - Defender target of numerous clubs during window

By Sports Desk July 30, 2019
Jamaica defender Damion Lowe. Jamaica defender Damion Lowe.

Norwegian division one club IK Start has refused to entertain offers for Jamaican international Damion Lowe, despite several proposals put on the table for the player this transfer window, reports have claimed.

The 26-year-old defender has been a standout performer in recent times and played a crucial role for Jamaica in a third straight run to the CONCACAF Gold Cup semi-finals.

The defenders outstanding performances have not escaped the attention of scouts, with sources claiming the player has already received offers from Turkey, Belgium, Russia, Germany, Norway and the United States MLS. 

According to the club’s Sporting Director Tor-Kristian Karlsen, who earlier this year outlined a plan for the team becoming one of Norway’s elite in three-years, the club is not inclined to easily part with one of its prized assets.

“I can confirm that there has been great interest in Damion both from the Elite series and from abroad but we want to keep him,” Karlsen said.

“I can confirm that there have been bids that we have rejected, but I do not want to go into which clubs they are from,” he added.

Lowe, the son of former Jamaica international Onandi Lowe, has made 17 appearances for Jamaica’s national team.

Related items

  • Tottenham re-sign Vorm as cover for injured Lloris Tottenham re-sign Vorm as cover for injured Lloris

    Tottenham have re-signed free agent goalkeeper Michel Vorm on a short-term deal to provide cover for injured skipper Hugo Lloris.

    The 35-year-old had been without a club since being released by Tottenham when his contract expired at the end of last season.

    However, with Lloris out for the rest of 2019 with an elbow injury sustained in the 3-0 defeat to Brighton and Hove Albion on October 5, the Premier League side have moved to bring in Vorm until the end of the season.

    Ex-Netherlands international Vorm, who made 47 appearances in all competitions for Tottenham during his previous five-season spell in north London, has again been assigned squad number 13.

    He will likely act as back-up to Paulo Gazzaniga when Mauricio Pochettino's side return to action with a home match against Watford next Saturday.

  • Ribery in love with Fiorentina after spurning Premier League interest Ribery in love with Fiorentina after spurning Premier League interest

    Franck Ribery says the affection he feels for Fiorentina has justified his decision to shun transfer interest from the Premier League.

    The former France international was linked to Sheffield United and clubs in the Middle East after leaving Bayern Munich as a free agent at the end of last season.

    Fiorentina won the race for his signature and have reaped the benefits, with winger Ribery named Serie A's Most Valuable Player for September following a string of standout performances for Vincenzo Montella's side.

    "I had other contacts, in England and also in Italy, but there was a spark with the Fiorentina executives," Ribery told Corriere della Serra.

    "When I agreed to come to Florence I couldn't know that it would be love at first sight, but that's how it has been since the evening of the presentation. That night was special and I will always carry it with me.

    "Speaking with [sporting director Daniele] Prade and [consultant Joe] Barone, even with coach Montella, I felt warmth and confidence in me."

    The 36-year-old departed Bayern at the same time as long-time team-mate Arjen Robben, who decided to retire aged 35.

    "I don't know," Ribery responded when asked how much longer he might have left in the game.

    "I came here because I'm hungry and I want to be able to win something. But the future cannot be foreseen."

  • Rumour Has It: Real Madrid move ahead of Barca in race for Napoli's Fabian Rumour Has It: Real Madrid move ahead of Barca in race for Napoli's Fabian

    Where will Fabian Ruiz be playing by the end of January?

    Napoli will be hoping Fabian remains at Stadio San Paolo.

    However, LaLiga giants Real Madrid and Barcelona are determined to bring the former Real Betis midfielder back to Spain.

     

    TOP STORY – MADRID SURPASS BARCA IN BATTLE FOR FABIAN

    Madrid have moved ahead of Barca in the race for Napoli star Fabian and want to sign the midfielder in January, according to Marca.

    Fabian has attracted plenty of interest since swapping Betis for Serie A side Napoli, where the Spaniard has starred since his €30milion arrival in 2018.

    Barca have been keeping tabs on the 23-year-old, but rivals Madrid have reportedly jumped to the front of the queue.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - While Fabian is of interest, Tuttosport says Barca are eyeing Inter star Lautaro Martinez, who has a €111m release clause.

    - There is plenty happening at Camp Nou. Mundo Deportivo reports Barca are willing to let Ivan Rakitic and Carles Alena leave in January. Barca are also reportedly not interested in signing a new centre-back as they trust Jean-Clair Todibo or Ronald Araujo, with Marca saying right-back is an area they are looking to strengthen.

    - According to Corriere dello Sport, Fiorentina are targeting in-demand Brescia midfielder Sandro Tonali. The 19-year-old has been linked to Juventus and Manchester United.

    - AS claims Madrid are considering a move for Tottenham's Christian Eriksen in January, before his contract expires at the end of the season.

    Hakan Calhanoglu's time at AC Milan could be coming to an end, with Calciomercato reporting the struggling Serie A side may sell the 25-year-old. Calhanoglu has struggled for consistency since joining from Bayer Leverkusen in 2017.

    Barca are lining up an approach for PSV sensation Donyell Malen, according to Sport. It comes as AS reports Ernesto Valverde's side are set to hand contract extensions to Marc-Andre ter Stegen and Nelson Semedo.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.