Ancelotti 'not disappointed' after seemingly missing out on Pepe to Arsenal

By Sports Desk July 28, 2019

Carlo Ancelotti insists he is "not disappointed" after media reports began to indicate Napoli have missed out on Lille winger Nicolas Pepe to Arsenal.

Ivory Coast international Pepe scored 22 goals in Ligue 1 last term, subsequently emerging as one of the hottest properties in French football.

Pepe has been linked with a host of Europe's biggest clubs, including Manchester United, Liverpool, Bayern Munich and Paris Saint-Germain.

Napoli and Arsenal appeared to be leading the chase, but speculation on Saturday suggested the Gunners had all but wrapped up a £72million deal.

And after beating Liverpool 3-0 in a friendly on Sunday, head coach Ancelotti seemed to accept Napoli have missed out on the forward.

"I don't like to talk about players of other teams, but I'm not disappointed," Ancelotti told reporters when asked about Arsenal's apparent success in landing Pepe.

"We have some players like Allan, [Kalidou] Koulibaly and Fabian Ruiz who are still on holiday. We are definitely looking for players.

"The transfer window is so long. We are looking [at signings]. If there are opportunities, we will look to seize those chances."

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Guardiola has break clause in Manchester City contract Rumour Has It: Guardiola has break clause in Manchester City contract

    Murmurs about Pep Guardiola's potential departure from Manchester City are not going away.

    Recent reports have suggested the successful Catalan could look to leave the Etihad Stadium at the end of the season.

    It now appears Guardiola has the power to make that happen.

     

    TOP STORY – GUARDIOLA'S ESCAPE ROUTE

    An exit clause in the contract Guardiola signed last year gives the two-time Premier League winner the chance to leave City at the conclusion of the campaign, reports the Daily Mail.

    Guardiola's deal, which he renewed in May 2018, runs through to 2021, but it seems he will have a decision to make when the club's title defence comes to a close.

    City have formulated contingency plans, according to the report, and are "known to be admirers" of former Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino.

    Guardiola, 48, has been linked with a return to Bayern Munich but last month said he was "open" to signing another contract extension with City.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - Manchester United missed out on Liverpool-bound Takumi Minamino because the Old Trafford club were unaware of a £7.25million exit clause in the winger's Salzburg contract, says the Mirror.

    - Bundesliga side Borussia Dortmund want to keep Jadon Sancho in January but Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's United are confident of pushing through a transfer for the England international, claims the Mirror.

    - Inter are monitoring Argentine attacking midfielder Rodrigo De Paul but are not prepared to meet Udinese's €35m asking price, according to CalcioMercato.

    - Carlo Ancelotti is set to fly to London for talks with Everton as the managerless Merseysiders look to beat Arsenal to the ex-Napoli boss, says the Sun.

    - Ivan Rakitic appears set to stay at Barcelona after all. The midfielder wants to continue at Camp Nou after breaking back into the starting XI over the past four matches, reports Marca.

  • Solskjaer open to January buys Solskjaer open to January buys

    Manchester United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has suggested he is ready to delve into the January transfer market.

    Mason Greenwood scored a superb brace as United built on consecutive 2-1 wins over Tottenham and Manchester City by breezing past AZ 4-0 to top their Europa League group.

    Solskjaer has leant on Greenwood and other promising youth products, much to the delight of United fans, but he is keen to deepen his squad and could act during the mid-season window.

    "We are looking to strengthen in many positions," he said at his post-match news conference.

    "If you look at our squad compared to the others, we are getting there but we still need two or three players to have enough numbers to rotate through a long season.

    "So we'll see what we sign."

    Irrespective of who comes in, Solskjaer has a talent in Greenwood he insists he will be happy to use frequently on the big stage.

    "He played against Tottenham and was class. I'm not afraid of playing him in the Premier League," he added.

    "Not at all. But it's about sharing the minutes and finding the right minutes for him. Of course he's ready to play in the Premier League."

  • Haiti, T&T, Bermuda, Cuba await dangerous Gold Cup hopefuls Haiti, T&T, Bermuda, Cuba await dangerous Gold Cup hopefuls

    The official draw for the qualifying matches of the 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup is in the books and Haiti, Trinidad & Tobago, Bermuda and Cuba, despite already being placed in round two, are not set to have an easy of it.

    As announced in March of 2018, the 2019-2020 Concacaf Nations League kicked off the road to 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup. After group stage play, the top two finishers in each of the League A groups and the top finisher in each of the League B groups secured their participation in the 16th edition of the Confederation’s premier tournament for men’s national teams.

     

    The road to the 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup will continue next year with a two-round qualifier, to be played in a direct elimination format. Beginning in March of 2020, the second-place finishers of League B will face the first-place finishers of League C. The four matchups were drawn as follows:

     

    Matchup 1: Guadeloupe vs Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

    Matchup 2: Barbados vs Guyana

    Matchup 3: Bahamas vs French Guiana

    Matchup 4: Guatemala vs Monserrat

     

    After home-and-away play, the four round one matchup winners will advance to the second round, where they will face the third-place finishers of League A. The second round will take place during the FIFA window of June 2020. The four round-two matchups were drawn as follows:

     

    Matchup 5: Winner Matchup 1 vs Haiti

    Matchup 6: Winner Matchup 2 vs Trinidad & Tobago

    Matchup 7: Winner Matchup 3 vs Bermuda

    Matchup 8: Winner Matchup 4 vs Cuba

     

    This mean Haiti will play against either Guadeloupe or St Vincent and the Grenadines, while Trinidad & Tobago has the task of trying to turn back either Barbados or Guyana. Bermuda, who have done well to date, have either the Bahamas or the dangerous French Guiana, while Cuba must contend with either Guatemala or Montserrat.

    After home-and-away play, the four matchup winners will qualify for the 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup, joining (in alphabetical order); Canada, Costa Rica, Curacao, El Salvador, Grenada, Honduras, Jamaica, Martinique, Mexico, Panama, Suriname and the United States.

    The gala event in Miami, FL was attended by Concacaf President Victor Montagliani, Concacaf General Secretary Philippe Moggio and the presidents of all 41 Concacaf Member Associations.

    The draw was conducted by Concacaf Development Director Jason Roberts and Concacaf Director of Competitions Carlos Fernandez.

    The complete schedule, including dates, kickoff times and host venues for the qualifying matches will be announced at a later date.

     

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.