I don't know if Tottenham have bid for Bale - Pochettino

By Sports Desk July 21, 2019

Mauricio Pochettino does not know if Tottenham have made a bid to sign their former player Gareth Bale from Real Madrid.

Zinedine Zidane revealed on Sunday that Madrid are working on selling the Wales international after omitting him from the squad that lost to Bayern Munich in the International Champions Cup (ICC) on Saturday.

Zidane seemed to indicate the club were in negotiations with a particular club, saying: "We are working on his transfer to a new team."

Newspaper reports on Sunday have suggested that Paris Saint-Germain are interested in a swap deal involving Neymar, while Pochettino – speaking after his side's 3-2 ICC win over Juventus – refused to rule out if his chairman Daniel Levy has tabled an offer for the 30-year-old.

"I saw the reports in the media but I don't know which club is trying to sign him," he told reporters.

"I don't have any information from my chairman; I don't know if it's us or another club. It's the job of my chairman."

Harry Kane struck a sensational stoppage-time winner from the halfway line as Pochettino's side opened up their pre-season campaign with a win over Juve in Singapore.

Related items

  • Bale has to play for Real Madrid – Casemiro Bale has to play for Real Madrid – Casemiro

    Gareth Bale must play for Real Madrid as he has helped deliver titles, insisted team-mate Casemiro.

    Bale reminded Zinedine Zidane what he is capable of with an assist in an impressive performance as Madrid opened their LaLiga campaign by beating Celta Vigo 3-1.

    The Wales star had been tipped to leave Madrid after head coach Zidane said last month it would be better for him to depart the Santiago Bernabeu, where Bale has won four Champions League titles and a LaLiga crown among other trophies.

    Bale – who was linked with a move to the Chinese Super League – now looks set to remain in the Spanish capital, and Madrid midfielder Casemiro praised him following Saturday's triumph.

    "He [Bale] has given us titles, he's scored in finals and he has a lot of respect from us all," Casemiro said.

    "He has to play. He's a great player and is very important for us."

    Madrid goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois added: "He is an important player and played a great match. Everyone loves him and it is important that he plays for us. We are so happy with Bale."

    It was a winning start for Madrid, who survived a Luka Modric red card as they overcame Celta with 10 men away from home.

    Bale teed up Karim Benzema for the 12th-minute opener before Modric was sent off for catching Denis Suarez on the heel following a VAR review approaching the hour mark.

    Despite their numerical disadvantage, Madrid wrapped up all three points thanks to Toni Kroos and Lucas Vazquez, while Iker Losada netted a stoppage-time consolation.

    "Preseason was not easy for us, there were games in which we did not play well, but we knew we doing things right," Courtois said. "We feel good, today we showed that. We played a good game and we went ahead with 10 players. That is key.
     
    "We knew that in the second half they were going to press us. In the one-on-one with Aspas I did well, made a good save. I have good reflexes and I got a hand to it. That helped give the team real confidence. We did well today but it is a shame not keep a clean sheet. We need to keep it up and work hard. Now we focus on Valladolid."

  • Modric denies deliberately stamping on Suarez Modric denies deliberately stamping on Suarez

    Luka Modric says the stamp on Denis Suarez for which he was sent off against Celta Vigo was "an accidental action".

    Real Madrid ran out 3-1 winners at Balaidos in their first LaLiga game of the season on Saturday despite Modric's dismissal.

    The Ballon d'Or winner was shown the red card for the first time in LaLiga after catching Suarez early in the second half.

    Modric was sent off after a VAR review, but after the game he used social media to protest his innocence.

    "Sent off for an accidental action," he wrote on Twitter, "In life I would never intentionally make such an action on a player. Totally involuntary!"

    However, Madrid captain Sergio Ramos understood the decision by VAR to show Modric the red card.

    "Everything used to protect football is good," Ramos said when asked his view on the technology.

    "Today the decision was against us. We ended up with one less man, I don't think Modric went in with bad intention but he arrived late and the referee had doubts.

    "He spoke to the other officials and reached that decision. VAR's there to help us and if these decisions protect football then they are welcome."

  • Learning to get used to external factors! - Laporte leads City confusion over VAR Learning to get used to external factors! - Laporte leads City confusion over VAR

    Aymeric Laporte and several of his Manchester City team-mates have expressed frustration over Gabriel Jesus seeing a late strike against Tottenham disallowed by VAR.

    City and Spurs were drawing 2-2 at Etihad Stadium on Saturday when Jesus struck in added time, firing into the bottom-right corner from inside the box.

    But celebrations were cut short by VAR with replays showing the ball hit Laporte on the arm during the build-up - and the goal was duly disallowed.

    A frustrated Pep Guardiola told Sky Sports "they need to fix" VAR, City having seen video replay decisions go against them in a game with Spurs for the second time this year following April's Champions League drama, when Raheem Sterling had a goal disallowed for offside.

    And Guardiola's players steadily followed suit on social media following the game, led by Laporte.

    "Tough game! Learning to get used to external factors! Keep working!" the centre-back posted on Twitter.

    Jesus was visibly upset by the call, despite referee Michael Oliver attempting to calm him down on the field.

    "Great game, lads. Well played, but unfortunately we didn’t get the win," the Brazil striker said. "We scored the goal we needed, but....."

    Kyle Walker was at fault for the second Spurs goal, losing Lucas Moura in the City box, but he also pointed a finger of blame at the technology.

    "Vary frustrating today. But both teams fought well," he said on Twitter, with a deliberate typo. "Well done to Spurs. Always good to see the boys and fans."

    Ilkay Gundogan, meanwhile, agrees with Guardiola's suggestion that rules involving VAR need to be amended for the good of the game.

    "Today's VAR decision is really hard to take," the midfielder wrote on social media.

    "Any attacker that commits handball, intentional or not, is now ruled a free-kick?? And if you’re defending it’s fine?? It only disadvantages the attacking team.

    "In my opinion, this rule needs to be changed."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.