Bale close to leaving Real Madrid – Zidane

By Sports Desk July 20, 2019

Zinedine Zidane said Gareth Bale is close to leaving Real Madrid after he was left out of Saturday's International Champions Cup clash against Bayern Munich.

Bale has been deemed surplus to requirements by head coach Zidane and the Welsh star was absent as Madrid lost 3-1 to Bayern in Houston.

The 30-year-old, who has three seasons remaining on his contract, has been linked to former club Tottenham, Manchester United and Bayern.

And Bale's future is close to being resolved, with Zidane determined to sell the Wales international sooner rather than later.

Asked why Bale was left out of the squad on Saturday, Zidane told reporters: "Bale did not play because he is very close to leaving.

"We hope he leaves soon, it would be best for everyone. We are working on his transfer to a new team."

"I have nothing personal against him, but there comes a time where things are done because they must be done, I have to make decisions, we have to change," he added.

"The exit is the coach's decision, and also of the player, who knows the situation.

"The situation will change, I do not know if in 24 or 48 hours, but it will, and it's a good thing for everyone."

Related items

  • Klopp and Mane win Premier League awards after Liverpool boss agrees new deal Klopp and Mane win Premier League awards after Liverpool boss agrees new deal

    Jurgen Klopp saluted his players after adding the Premier League Manager of the Month award to the long-term Liverpool contract extension he signed on Friday.

    The German claimed the prize for the third time this term in a quick reminder of why the Reds handed him a deal running through to 2024.

    Klopp guided the European champions to four successive victories in November, including a crucial 3-1 win over title rivals Manchester City.

    Liverpool sit eight points clear of second-placed Leicester City after 16 matches, with champions City 14 points behind the leaders.

    "It feels really good," Klopp said. "But I don't take it personally. My players are responsible for that, obviously, because they have so far played an outstanding season."

    Among the most impressive performers for Liverpool has been Sadio Mane, who was named Player of the Month.

    Mane found the net three times and registered one assist in November.

    Among the goals was a late winner in the 2-1 victory at Aston Villa, as the Reds came from behind with two strikes in the closing stages.

    The Senegal international has been in fine form throughout the season, elevating himself to become arguably Liverpool's most crucial player in attack, with nine goals and four assists in his 15 league outings.

    Mane's stellar record has helped the club charge to a 46-point haul that has them on track to to win their first league title in 30 years.

  • Klopp agrees new Liverpool deal until 2024 Klopp agrees new Liverpool deal until 2024

    Jurgen Klopp has signed a new two-year contract extension with Liverpool, keeping him on Merseyside until 2024, the club confirmed on Friday.

    The German sees the agreement as an indicator of where the club is heading, convinced Liverpool's development will only continue.

    "For me, personally, this is a statement of intent, one which is built on my knowledge of what we as a partnership have achieved so far and what is still there for us to achieve," Klopp said.

    "When I see the development of the club and the collaborative work that continues to take place, I feel my contribution can only grow.

    "People see what happens on the pitch as a measure of our progress and, although it is the best measure, it's not the only measure. I have seen the commitment from ownership through to every aspect and function of the club you can think of.

    "When the call came in autumn 2015, I felt we were perfect for each other; if anything, now I feel I underestimated that.

    "It is only with a total belief that the collaboration remains totally complementary on both sides that I am able to make this commitment to 2024. If I didn't, I would not be re-signing."

    Klopp has overseen a steady improvement since joining the club in 2015, making them top-four regulars again before building from that platform and restoring fans' faith in Liverpool's ability to challenge for major honours.

    The Reds were beaten in both the EFL Cup and Europa League finals in the manager's first season, and they have shown immense progress from there.

    In 2017-18, Liverpool reached the Champions League final for the first time since 2006-07, although they were defeated 3-1 by Real Madrid.

    Klopp's men were not to be deterred and returned the following year, going all the way and winning 2-0 against Tottenham in the final in June, becoming champions of Europe for a sixth time.

    And while Liverpool missed out on a maiden Premier League title in 2018-19 - chasing a first top-flight championship since 1989-90 - as they finished a point adrift of champions Manchester City, the Reds are well on course to put that right in 2020.

    The European champions sit eight points clear at the top of the league table after 16 games.

    Klopp insists all of the focus should not be on him, however, as he paid tribute to sporting director Michael Edwards.

    "This club is in such a good place, I couldn't contemplate leaving," he continued. "I must also highlight the role of Michael Edwards in this journey so far.

    "His input and collaboration has been just as important as anyone else's in getting us into a position to compete for the game's top titles.

    "For anyone in football who aspires to compete in an environment where every element of the organisation is at its very best - from the support of the supporters to the vision of the owners - there can be no better place than this."

    Klopp's assistants Peter Krawietz and Pepijn Lijnders have also extended their respective contracts until 2024.

  • Fellaini still in contact with Mourinho but rules out reunion Fellaini still in contact with Mourinho but rules out reunion

    Marouane Fellaini has revealed he is still in contact with "special" Tottenham head coach Jose Mourinho but ruled out a January reunion.

    The 32-year-old played under Mourinho at Manchester United and has been touted as a target for Spurs ahead of next month's transfer window.

    But while having a lasting relationship with his former boss, who was appointed by Tottenham in November, Fellaini is happy in the Chinese Super League with Shandong Luneng.

    "Jose is special for me. We text each other, we call each other from time to time," he told Eleven Sports.

    "He's taken over at Spurs and he's doing well. I wish him all the best. But I am good where I am now."

    Fellaini moved to China in February 2019 and helped Shandong to a fifth-placed finish in his first season with the club.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.