Abidal denies Barcelona approached Griezmann before striker announced Atletico Madrid exit

By Sports Desk July 20, 2019

Barcelona sporting director Eric Abidal has denied talks were opened with Antoine Griezmann in March, as has been claimed by Atletico Madrid.

Griezmann completed his long-awaited switch to Camp Nou last week and is expected to make his Barca debut on their pre-season tour of Japan.

Barca paid €120m for Griezmann but Atletico argue the fee they received should have been €200m as they claim the Catalan club were in talks with the striker before his release clause fell on July 1.

Griezmann announced his intention to leave Atletico in a social media video posted before the end of the LaLiga season, but the Rojiblancos say his move to Barca had been agreed some weeks earlier.

Reports in Spain have claimed the Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) has opened proceedings against Barcelona over the club's move for Griezmann but, in an interview with Le Parisien, Abidal said the move for the France forward was above board.

He said: "The president [Josep Maria] Bartomeu got in touch with Atletico Madrid to discuss the terms of a transfer for Griezmann and to inform them, if negotiations weren't possible, that Barca would pay his €120m buyout clause. It was €200m in March and €120m in July..

"Atletico are defending their interests and we are defending Barca's. We never had a prior agreement with the player. We got in contact with his lawyer after Griezmann announced he wanted to leave the club.

"We can always talk about interest. We can like a player because our sporting department says they'd fit the profile of what we are looking for. But this interest only became concrete when the player expressed his wish to join Barca.

"He was a very important player for Atletico Madrid. He can make a difference in the big matches and is capable of playing in various positions. He's still a great goalscorer and Barca need players like him."

Despite adding Griezmann to a forward line already containing Lionel Messi, Luis Suarez, Ousmane Dembele, Malcom and Philippe Coutinho, Barca have been linked with making a sensational move for Neymar.

Paris Saint-Germain sporting director Leonardo has confirmed the Brazil forward wants to leave the French capital with a return to Camp Nou two years after his world-record move said to be Neymar's preferred option.

Barca are reported to have offered PSG a choice of six players - including Coutinho, Dembele and Malcom - as makeweights but Abidal suggested the club's work in the transfer market could be complete.

"We needed six attacking players and, with Griezmann, we have those six," he added. "After that, it's the coach [Ernesto Valverde] who makes the decisions."

Messi is reportedly pushing for Neymar's return with the Barca captain said to be underwhelmed by Griezmann's arrival.

"That isn't Messi's role," Abidal added. "If he gives his opinion on someone who players for another team, it's disrespectful to his current team-mates. I believe that's why Leo didn't want to talk about Antoine."

Related items

  • Icardi not causing a disturbance at Inter, says Conte Icardi not causing a disturbance at Inter, says Conte

    Mauro Icardi is not causing any issues for Inter coach Antonio Conte, who insists the unsettled striker's failure to secure a move away from San Siro has not hindered preparations for the new season.

    Inter handed Icardi the number seven shirt for the 2019-20 campaign in a move that indicated he is expected to remain at the club, where he was stripped of the captaincy last term.

    The 26-year-old was widely expected to leave in the close season and was linked with Juventus and Monaco.

    However, with Icardi still at Inter and the arrival of Romelu Lukaku from Manchester United, it appears Conte will be left with a player deemed surplus to requirements.

    Asked about the effect of Icardi's continued presence by the media, Conte said: "I have great respect for everyone, but I don't feel any disturbance.

    "We are working hard, we know full well what approach has been taken with the player, but it is not causing any disturbance for me."

    Inter open against Lecce at San Siro on Monday, with Conte making clear that the aim for his side is to close the gap on last season's top two, Juventus and Napoli.

    The Nerazzurri finished fourth, 10 points behind second-placed Napoli, but Conte believes Lukaku's arrival can boost their chances of improving this term.

    "Lukaku arrived full of enthusiasm," said Conte. "He is a very joyful guy to be around and the team immediately welcomed him into their hearts.

    "He was on the margins of the Manchester United squad for a while, so is not at 100 per cent, but has immense potential and can improve in every area.

    "I tried him out alongside Lautaro Martinez, Matteo Politano and Sebastiano Esposito, so I am pleased with the synergy that is forming between these players.

    "I always said that I wanted to feel even a one per cent chance of competing for victory. We are building something important here and I can say that the chase is on.

    "We aim to close the gap, which is pretty large, from the top two. I don't set limits, only time will tell what we are fighting for, but we've got to work even better than the rest if we want to achieve something extraordinary."

  • Werner extends RB Leipzig contract to 2023 Werner extends RB Leipzig contract to 2023

    Timo Werner has signed a new contract until 2023 with RB Leipzig, preventing him leaving on a free transfer next year.

    Werner, 23, has been strongly linked with a move to Bayern Munich in recent months, as the Bundesliga champions look to refresh their squad with younger talent.

    But the Germany international looks set to remain at Leipzig for the time being, with the contract extension putting the club in a much stronger negotiating position for any future transfer.

    Managing director Oliver Mintzlaff said: "We are glad that the negotiations with Timo Werner have now come to a positive conclusion and he has decided to extend the contract with us.

    "We have had many intensive discussions over a long period of time and have been very attentive to and valued by Timo.

    "We are glad that we now have clarity and are pleased that Timo remains an important part of our team."

    With Bayern reportedly unwilling to meet Leipzig's valuation of €40million, it was claimed the Bavarians planned to wait until his contract expired and lure him away on a free transfer.

    The extension ends that plan, although media reports suggest Werner's new deal does include a release clause of €30m, bringing his price down significantly.

    Either way, Werner insists he is excited to continue developing with Leipzig.

    "I'm glad that I signed with RB Leipzig and thus extended my contract," he said. "Of course, this process has been going on for a very long time, but I really wanted to be completely sure that I could take the next steps in the development of this club.

    "And for the right decisions you just need a little longer. Now I can fully concentrate on playing as successful a season as possible with our team."

  • BREAKING NEWS: Werner extends RB Leipzig contract to 2023 BREAKING NEWS: Werner extends RB Leipzig contract to 2023
    Timo Werner has signed a new contract until 2023 with RB Leipzig, preventing him leaving on a free transfer next year.
© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.