Reported Arsenal target Izzo commits to Torino

By Sports Desk July 19, 2019

Armando Izzo has signed a new contract at Torino, ending speculation he could move to the Premier League.

Arsenal were reportedly interested in the centre-back, who has also been linked with Manchester United and Everton.

But Izzo, who made his first Italy appearance in a Euro 2020 qualifier in March, has instead signed a new five-year deal with Torino.

Speaking last month, the 27-year-old indicated he would commit to the Granata and he is thrilled to have agreed an extension.

"Happy to continue with the Bull, with the same determination we will still face many battles together!!" Izzo wrote on Instagram.

Torino, who finished seventh in Serie A last season, will play in the Europa League in 2019-20 due to AC Milan's ban.

Walter Mazzarri's side face a qualifier against Hungarian outfit Debrecen, with the first leg to be played on Thursday.

Related items

  • Pioli lauds Milan's 'extra weapon' after substitutes deliver Pioli lauds Milan's 'extra weapon' after substitutes deliver

    Stefano Pioli hailed Milan's bench as an "extra weapon" after a 4-2 extra-time win over Torino in the Coppa Italia quarter-finals on Tuesday.

    Milan's substitutes, Zlatan Ibrahimovic among them, delivered at San Siro, where the hosts came from behind.

    Hakan Calhanoglu, introduced late on, equalised to force extra time before netting again prior to Ibrahimovic's sealer.

    Pioli praised his team and said the power off the bench gave them even more options.

    "We started the game very well, we would have deserved a bigger lead at the break," the head coach told Milan TV.

    "But having such important players on the bench allows me to find alternate solutions. So, it is an extra weapon for the team and everyone needs to accept starting on the bench with the right mentality.

    "The important thing is not playing the full 90 minutes, but to give the right contribution to the team, whether they play 90 minutes or five or eight, we must always play with this mentality."

    Milan have been resurgent to begin 2020 and the win over Torino marked their fifth straight.

    Pioli said his side, who host Hellas Verona in the Serie A on Sunday, were heading in the right direction.

    "The players deserve the congratulations because they made another important statement, a statement of quality, intensity and sacrifice," he said.

    "We're on the right path."

  • Fernandes: Premier League always my preference ahead of reported Man Utd move Fernandes: Premier League always my preference ahead of reported Man Utd move

    Bruno Fernandes said moving to the Premier League has "always" been his preference after Manchester United reportedly struck a deal to sign the Sporting CP captain.

    One of football's most drawn-out transfer sagas is believed to be reaching its conclusion, with Fernandes poised to swap Sporting for United in a deal initially worth £47million (€55m) plus add-ons ahead of Friday's deadline.

    Fernandes – heavily linked to struggling Premier League giants United this month and in the previous transfer window – is reportedly set to travel to Manchester on Wednesday.

    Asked if the Premier League was his preference following reports of a possible move to either LaLiga champions Barcelona or Valencia, Fernandes told SIC: "It always was."

    Pressed on whether United was his specific preference, the Portugal international midfielder replied: "Anything really."

    Fernandes, linked to Tottenham and Real Madrid previously, has scored 15 goals in all competitions for Sporting this season.

    The 25-year-old netted 31 goals last term, including 20 in Primeira Liga.

    United, meanwhile, face Manchester City in the second leg of their EFL Cup semi-final – trailing 3-1.

    Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's Red Devils then play Wolves in the Premier League on Saturday before their mid-season break.

  • Man Utd condemn those involved in attack on Woodward's home Man Utd condemn those involved in attack on Woodward's home

    Manchester United will ban for life any supporters who were involved in an attack on the home of executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward on Tuesday.

    The Mirror reported between 20 and 30 fans threw flares at Woodward's house on the eve of United's EFL Cup semi-final second leg against Manchester City.

    In a statement provided to Omnisport, the Premier League club criticised the attack, saying there was "no excuse" for the "unwarranted" act.

    "Manchester United Football Club have tonight been made aware of the incident outside the home of one of our employees," the statement read.

    "We know that the football world will unite behind us as we work with Greater Manchester Police to identify the perpetrators of this unwarranted attack.

    "Anybody found guilty of a criminal offence, or found to be trespassing on this property, will be banned for life by the club.

    "Fans expressing opinion is one thing, criminal damage and intent to endanger life and property is another. There is simply no excuse for this."

    United fans had chanted about Woodward - who was understood not to be at home at the time of the incident - and the club's owners, the Glazers, during a 6-0 FA Cup win over Tranmere Rovers on Sunday.

    Sitting fifth in the Premier League, United have been increasingly criticised amid a difficult run of form that has seen them win only three of their previous eight games in all competitions.

    It also comes as they reportedly continue to work on bringing in reinforcements in January, with Sporting CP star Bruno Fernandes a target.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.