Longstaff flattered by Manchester United interest

By Sports Desk July 19, 2019

Sean Longstaff has admitted to being flattered by interest from Manchester United following a whirlwind rise to prominence at Newcastle United.

The 21-year-old midfielder broke into the first team at St James' Park in January and made nine promising Premier League appearances before a serious knee injury ended his breakthrough campaign.

Manchester United took note and are reportedly weighing up whether to meet Newcastle's lofty transfer demands.

For his part, midfielder Longstaff is content just to enjoy the ride as he sets out to impress new Magpies head coach Steve Bruce.

"If somebody had said to me a year ago I would be in this position, I would probably have laughed at them," Longstaff told the Chronicle.

"This time last year I was deciding whether to go to League One on loan. A year on, you are seeing your name linked with one of the biggest clubs in the world.

"For me, it is all a positive really. It gives you even more confidence. When I was in [the team] for a short amount of time people took notice of me. It is flattering but my job is at Newcastle.

"The new boss is coming in and it's a clean slate for everybody – including me."

Manchester United have signed Aaron Wan-Bissaka and Daniel James since the end of last season and manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has made no secret of his desire to add further reinforcements.

Longstaff and Leicester City centre-back Harry Maguire are reported to rank highly on the Norwegian's wish-list.

"As I've said and answered a few times, we're working on one or two cases," Solskjaer said in Singapore, where the Red Devils are preparing for an International Champions Cup clash against Inter.

"But obviously my objective now when I'm here is to get ready for the games and training sessions.

"We're working on putting a squad together that can compete. Of course we have some youngsters but we have loads of players that can play and loads of ways we can play."

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Barcelona give up on Rodrigo, Fernandes to Man Utd finally done Rumour Has It: Barcelona give up on Rodrigo, Fernandes to Man Utd finally done

    Barcelona have seemingly given up on their pursuit of Rodrigo, while Manchester United are finally getting their man.

    LaLiga giants Barca are eyeing a forward with Luis Suarez set to miss most of the rest of the season due to a knee injury.

    But while they reportedly targeted Rodrigo, their bid to land the Valencia forward appears over.

    Meanwhile, a long-running saga is set to come to an end in Manchester.

     

    TOP STORY – BARCELONA GIVE UP ON RODRIGO

    'Rodrigo no' reads the cover of Sport, which reports Barcelona have stopped negotiations with Valencia for the forward.

    The report says Barca cannot reach an economic agreement with Valencia, but are considering other options in their bid to sign a forward.

    Rodrigo has scored just two goals in 18 LaLiga games for Valencia this season.

    ROUND-UP

    - It is finally set to be over. Bruno Fernandes' move from Sporting CP to Manchester United is practically done, according to Record. The Premier League club will pay £46.5million (€55m) for the midfielder, plus £8.5m (€10m) in add-ons with the potential for a further £12.7m (€15m).

    - There could be some movement at Stamford Bridge in the coming days. AS reports Roma have made contact with Chelsea regarding Pedro, who has made just five Premier League appearances this season.

    - Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham are ready to launch bids for Atletico Madrid midfielder Thomas Lemar, according to The Sun. The LaLiga club want £51m (€60.3m) for the Frenchman.

    - Also at Spurs, the Mirror reports Tottenham are set to sign PSV attacker Steven Bergwijn for £25.4m (€30m).

    - Pablo Mari's move to Arsenal appears set to become official. Globo Esporte reports the Flamengo defender will join the Premier League club on loan until June, with his club receiving £4.2m (€5m) and Arsenal holding an option to make the move permanent.

  • Fernandes: Premier League always my preference ahead of reported Man Utd move Fernandes: Premier League always my preference ahead of reported Man Utd move

    Bruno Fernandes said moving to the Premier League has "always" been his preference after Manchester United reportedly struck a deal to sign the Sporting CP captain.

    One of football's most drawn-out transfer sagas is believed to be reaching its conclusion, with Fernandes poised to swap Sporting for United in a deal initially worth £47million (€55m) plus add-ons ahead of Friday's deadline.

    Fernandes – heavily linked to struggling Premier League giants United this month and in the previous transfer window – is reportedly set to travel to Manchester on Wednesday.

    Asked if the Premier League was his preference following reports of a possible move to either LaLiga champions Barcelona or Valencia, Fernandes told SIC: "It always was."

    Pressed on whether United was his specific preference, the Portugal international midfielder replied: "Anything really."

    Fernandes, linked to Tottenham and Real Madrid previously, has scored 15 goals in all competitions for Sporting this season.

    The 25-year-old netted 31 goals last term, including 20 in Primeira Liga.

    United, meanwhile, face Manchester City in the second leg of their EFL Cup semi-final – trailing 3-1.

    Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's Red Devils then play Wolves in the Premier League on Saturday before their mid-season break.

  • Man Utd condemn those involved in attack on Woodward's home Man Utd condemn those involved in attack on Woodward's home

    Manchester United will ban for life any supporters who were involved in an attack on the home of executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward on Tuesday.

    The Mirror reported between 20 and 30 fans threw flares at Woodward's house on the eve of United's EFL Cup semi-final second leg against Manchester City.

    In a statement provided to Omnisport, the Premier League club criticised the attack, saying there was "no excuse" for the "unwarranted" act.

    "Manchester United Football Club have tonight been made aware of the incident outside the home of one of our employees," the statement read.

    "We know that the football world will unite behind us as we work with Greater Manchester Police to identify the perpetrators of this unwarranted attack.

    "Anybody found guilty of a criminal offence, or found to be trespassing on this property, will be banned for life by the club.

    "Fans expressing opinion is one thing, criminal damage and intent to endanger life and property is another. There is simply no excuse for this."

    United fans had chanted about Woodward - who was understood not to be at home at the time of the incident - and the club's owners, the Glazers, during a 6-0 FA Cup win over Tranmere Rovers on Sunday.

    Sitting fifth in the Premier League, United have been increasingly criticised amid a difficult run of form that has seen them win only three of their previous eight games in all competitions.

    It also comes as they reportedly continue to work on bringing in reinforcements in January, with Sporting CP star Bruno Fernandes a target.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.