Leroy Sane: No contact with Bayern Munich, says Pep Guardiola

By Sports Desk July 19, 2019

Pep Guardiola remains hopeful winger Leroy Sane will stay at Manchester City and claims he has not spoken to anyone at Bayern Munich regarding the Germany international.

Bayern are on the lookout for wide players to fill the sizeable void left by Franck Ribery and Arjen Robben with Sane top of their wishlist.

Chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge and coach Niko Kovac have been vocal in their admiration of the 23-year-old with the former even suggesting the Bundesliga champions are "ready" to make a move should the player express a wish to leave the Etihad Stadium.

Guardiola, speaking ahead of the Asia Trophy clash with Wolves, hinted at dissatisfaction with his former club's public pursuit and outlined his desire to keep Sane in the Premier League.

He told reporters in Shanghai: "For a long time they talk about their interest, but Leroy is our player and hopefully he can stay next season and next season and next season."

Pushed on if he had spoken to anyone at Bayern, Guardiola replied: "No."

City have been relatively quiet in the transfer window so far, with the signing of defensive midfielder Rodri from Atletico Madrid their only major acquisition.

Guardiola said: "We are so happy with the squad we have. I don't know if the players here will stay or if new players will come. But I am delighted with the players we have."

City have been linked with Leicester City's Harry Maguire although it seems Manchester United now lead the race for the England international. Guardiola suggested central defence was an area he was considering strengthening but had options in his squad should a move not materialise.

"There's a chance [of a defender coming in] but I don't know if it will be possible. We [already] have three incredible central defenders and Fernandinho can play in that position," he said.

Related items

  • Football needs Mourinho - Bosingwa pleased ex-Chelsea boss is back at Tottenham Football needs Mourinho - Bosingwa pleased ex-Chelsea boss is back at Tottenham

    Jose Mourinho's appointment at Tottenham has got the approval of Jose Bosingwa, who said "football needs" the old Chelsea boss.

    Spurs replaced Mauricio Pochettino with Mourinho last month and the Portuguese has guided the club to four wins out of five since taking the reins.

    Mourinho, who had been out of work since being sacked by Manchester United last December, was a surprise appointment by Spurs, having previously said he would "not take the job" with Tottenham due to his Chelsea connections.

    However, Bosingwa, who played under Mourinho at Porto, is glad to see his former coach back in work.

    Bosingwa, speaking on behalf of the UEFA Champions League Trophy Tour driven by Nissan, told Omnisport: "I think football needs Mourinho. I'm happy he came back.

    "I hope he will do a good job because he's one of the best managers in the world so for sure he will do a great job."

    Bosingwa was part of Mourinho's Champions League-winning side in 2003-04 and the full-back won Europe's premier club competition again in 2011-12 with Chelsea.

    Success has proved more elusive for Tottenham, though, with the 2007-08 EFL Cup the most recent trophy the north London side won.

    Asked whether Mourinho could end that wait for silverware, former Portugal international Bosingwa replied: "Tottenham have a good squad, maybe one of the best squads in the Premier League.

    "It's not easy [to win trophies] but I hope he does."

    Tottenham's rivals Arsenal are currently looking for a new head coach after sacking Unai Emery last month.

    Wolves boss Nuno Espirito Santo is one of those to have been linked with the vacancy and Bosingwa believes his compatriot has earned a shot at a top club.

    "I think he deserves [this], the next two or three years," Bosingwa said.

    "He's doing very well with his team now, so he deserves [this]. Let's see what will happen."

  • Rise in incidents of racism concerns Kick It Out Rise in incidents of racism concerns Kick It Out

    Kick It Out chairman Sanjay Bhandari fears the issue of racism "is definitely getting worse" in Britain following an incident at Saturday's Manchester derby, which has led to an arrest.

    On Sunday, Greater Manchester Police confirmed a 41-year-old man had been arrested on suspicion of a racially aggravated public order and remains in custody over an incident at the Etihad Stadium.

    Ole Gunnar Solskjaer claimed two of his Manchester United players were targeted in their 2-1 win over City, when television footage appeared to show a supporter making a racist gesture in the direction of Brazil international Fred and his team-mate Jesse Lingard.

    The incident came almost a year to the day since City striker Raheem Sterling was subjected to "racially abusive language" by a Chelsea supporter, who was later banned for life.

    A League Two game between Forest Green Rovers and Scunthorpe United was also temporarily halted on Saturday following a report of alleged racist abuse, and Bhandari is concerned by the growing number of incidents across the game in Britain.

    "I think the problem is definitely getting worse here and it has been over the last three years," he told Sky Sports News.

    "We're nowhere near where we were 30, 40 years ago but there's definitely been an upward spike over the last two, three years.

    "But by the same token it doesn't help us if we create these false oppositions; we're not [like] Bulgaria."

    In October, UEFA ordered Bulgaria to play a competitive home game behind closed doors after their Euro 2020 qualifier against England was halted twice due to racist chanting from the stands.

    "We should not be complacent, we should focus on what's happening in our own country," Bhandari added.

    "There has definitely been a rise over the last two or three years and we need to get a handle on that and collaborate much more effectively across football to really try and stamp this out."

    City promised any individual found guilty of making racial gestures would be banned for life.

    The Premier League also issued its own statement on Sunday saying it would support any action taken by their 20 clubs.

    "The Premier League and our clubs will not tolerate discrimination in any form," the statement read.

    "If people are found to have racially abused Premier League players they deserve to be punished and we will support any action taken by the authorities and the clubs.

    "We appreciate the millions of supporters who help create a positive Premier League matchday atmosphere and have made it clear that racist conduct or language is unacceptable."

  • Rise in incidents of racism concern Kick It Out Rise in incidents of racism concern Kick It Out

    Kick It Out chairman Sanjay Bhandari fears the issue of racism "is definitely getting worse" in Britain following an incident at Saturday's Manchester derby, which has led to an arrest.

    On Sunday, Greater Manchester Police confirmed a 41-year-old man had been arrested on suspicion of a racially aggravated public order and remains in custody over an incident at the Etihad Stadium.

    Ole Gunnar Solskjaer claimed two of his Manchester United players were targeted in their 2-1 win over City, when television footage appeared to show a supporter making a racist gesture in the direction of Brazil international Fred and his team-mate Jesse Lingard.

    The incident came almost a year to the day since City striker Raheem Sterling was subjected to "racially abusive language" by a Chelsea supporter, who was later banned for life.

    A League Two game between Forest Green Rovers and Scunthorpe United was also temporarily halted on Saturday following a report of alleged racist abuse, and Bhandari is concerned by the growing number of incidents across the game in Britain.

    "I think the problem is definitely getting worse here and it has been over the last three years," he told Sky Sports News.

    "We're nowhere near where we were 30, 40 years ago but there's definitely been an upward spike over the last two, three years.

    "But by the same token it doesn't help us if we create these false oppositions; we're not [like] Bulgaria."

    In October, UEFA ordered Bulgaria to play a competitive home game behind closed doors after their Euro 2020 qualifier against England was halted twice due to racist chanting from the stands.

    "We should not be complacent, we should focus on what's happening in our own country," Bhandari added.

    "There has definitely been a rise over the last two or three years and we need to get a handle on that and collaborate much more effectively across football to really try and stamp this out."

    City promised any individual found guilty of making racial gestures would be banned for life.

    The Premier League also issued its own statement on Sunday saying it would support any action taken by their 20 clubs.

    "The Premier League and our clubs will not tolerate discrimination in any form," the statement read.

    "If people are found to have racially abused Premier League players they deserve to be punished and we will support any action taken by the authorities and the clubs.

    "We appreciate the millions of supporters who help create a positive Premier League matchday atmosphere and have made it clear that racist conduct or language is unacceptable."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.