Perin's move from Juventus to Benfica postponed after medical

By Sports Desk July 18, 2019

Juventus goalkeeper Mattia Perin must wait for his move to Benfica after the Portuguese champions postponed the transfer following a medical on Thursday.

Perin, 26, was set for a €15million switch to Benfica after Gianluigi Buffon's return to Turin left the two-time Italy international behind the veteran goalkeeper and Wojciech Szczesny in the pecking order.

However, the shot-stopper only underwent shoulder surgery in April and a longer than expected recovery will see his move to Benfica delayed.

"Sport Lisboa e Benfica informs that in the medicals aftermath, held today, was concluded that the goalkeeper Mattia Perin has a higher than expected recovering process, of approximately four months," a statement from Benfica read.

"In this regard, there was an agreement between the clubs and the player's representatives so that the recovering period might take place at Juventus, completing the transfer process only after its conclusion."

Perin, who arrived at Juventus from Genoa last year, made nine appearances in 2018-19.

Related items

  • Sturridge agrees three-year deal with Trabzonspor following Liverpool exit Sturridge agrees three-year deal with Trabzonspor following Liverpool exit

    Daniel Sturridge has agreed a three-year contract with Trabzonspor, the Turkish Super Lig side have confirmed.

    The striker, who left Liverpool at the end of last season, is set to join his new club until 2022, with the option of an extra year.

    Sturridge was released by the European champions when his contract expired in June after six years at Anfield, in which he scored 67 goals in 160 appearances.

    In July, the 29-year-old was fined £75,000 and banned for six weeks - four of which were suspended - for breaching betting rules in English football.

    Sturridge, who was free to play again from July 31, said it was "extremely disappointing" to hear the Football Association would be appealing against what the governing body considered to be an insufficient punishment.

    "I will continue to defend the case and the appeal," he said.

    Trabzonspor finished fourth in the Super Lig last season, six points behind champions Galatasaray.

    They face AEK in a Europa League play-off first leg on Thursday.

  • It is always the same story - Cutrone accuses Italian clubs of favouring foreign players It is always the same story - Cutrone accuses Italian clubs of favouring foreign players

    Patrick Cutrone is grateful to AC Milan but claims he was sold by his former club because there is a preference for Italian teams to field foreign players.

    The one-cap Italy international ended his 12-year association with boyhood club Milan in July after taking up Wolves' offer of a four-year deal.

    He came through the Rossoneri's youth ranks and scored 18 goals in all competitions in an impressive breakthrough campaign in 2017-18, but the 21-year-old was less prolific last term and was moved on for a reported €22million during the close season.

    Portuguese forward Rafael Leao, 20, was brought in as a replacement and Cutrone believes that move - as well as Moise Kean's switch from Juventus to Everton - is indicative of the way teams operate in Serie A.

    "Me and Kean in the Premier League? It's always the same story - foreigners are preferred to us," he told Gazzetta dello Sport. 

    "For us twenty-somethings, it's hard, but in any case I'd like to emphasise something - I’ll always be grateful to Milan for what they gave me."

    Cutrone will be back in Italy this week as part of Wolves' squad for their Europa League play-off first leg against Torino.

    The Milan youth product has made four appearances for his new side and is expecting a difficult test in Turin on Thursday.

    "My first impressions of Wolves have been excellent," he said. "I was received very well and I've already settled in. 

    "I didn't like living in a hotel, so I've found a house where my best friend has been keeping me company.

    "It'll be tough against Torino. They're a good team and there are several similarities between us and them - passionate fans, character, pride, a sense of belonging."

  • PSV forward Malen included in Netherlands squad for September qualifiers PSV forward Malen included in Netherlands squad for September qualifiers

    Ronald Koeman has named uncapped PSV forward Donyell Malen in Netherlands' provisional squad for their upcoming Euro 2020 qualifiers against Germany and Estonia.

    The 20-year-old has started seven of PSV's eight matches this season and is in contention to make his senior international bow next month.

    An initial 29-man group has been named for the games against Germany in Hamburg on September 6 and Estonia in Tallinn three days later.

    Ajax centre-back Joel Veltman has been recalled by Koeman but there is still no room for Lyon right-back Kenny Tete, who has been used as a sub in Lyon's first two Ligue 1 matches.

    Beaten UEFA Nations League finalists Netherlands also have Liverpool pair Virgil van Dijk and Georginio Wijnaldum in their squad, while Barcelona's Frenkie de Jong and Juventus defender Matthijs de Ligt are in line to feature in both matches.

    Netherlands squad in full:

    Marco Bizot (AZ), Jasper Cillessen (Valencia), Kenneth Vermeer (Feyenoord), Jeroen Zoet (PSV); Patrick van Aanholt (Crystal Palace), Nathan Ake (Bournemouth), Daley Blind (Ajax), Virgil van Dijk (Liverpool), Denzel Dumfries (PSV), Hans Hateboer (Atalanta), Terence Kongolo (Huddersfield), Matthijs de Ligt (Juventus), Joel Veltman (Ajax), Stefan de Vrij (Inter); Donny van de Beek (Ajax), Frenkie de Jong (Barcelona), Davy Propper (Brighton and Hove Albion), Marten de Roon (Atalanta), Kevin Strootman (Marseille), Tonny Vilhena (Krasnodar), Georginio Wijnaldum (Liverpool); Ryan Babel (Galatasaray), Steven Berghuis (Feyenoord), Steven Bergwijn (PSV); Luuk de Jong (Sevilla), Donyell Malen (PSV), Memphis Depay (Lyon), Quincy Promes (Ajax), Wout Weghorst (Wolfsburg).

     

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.