Joelinton left out by Hoffenheim as Premier League move edges closer

By Sports Desk July 17, 2019

Hoffenheim have confirmed Joelinton is in talks with a Premier League club amid speculation of a £36million (€39.8million) move to Newcastle United.

Joelinton was left out of Hoffenheim's squad for their friendly with Jahn Regensburg on Wednesday.

The Brazilian forward was rumoured to be close to a move to Newcastle in January, though the switch failed to materialise.

However, the 22-year-old now looks set to join the Magpies, who officially confirmed Steve Bruce as their new head coach on Wednesday, with Hoffenheim confirming negotiations are ongoing with a Premier League side.

"Joelinton is not here," Hoffenheim posted on their official Twitter account. "He is in concrete negotiations with a Premier League club. It may be that he leaves us."

Joelinton scored 11 goals across all competitions for Hoffenheim last season, following a spell with Rapid Vienna.

It has been an off-season of upheaval for Newcastle, who were demolished 4-0 in their Premier League Asia Trophy match with Wolves.

Rafael Benitez's departure was followed by that of Ayoze Perez, who joined Leicester City in a reported £30m deal, while Joselu and last season's top scorer Salomon Rondon have also left.

Related items

  • Solskjaer: Pogba 'stronger' after racial abuse Solskjaer: Pogba 'stronger' after racial abuse

    Ole Gunnar Solskjaer praised Paul Pogba's character and expressed disbelief over the racism directed at the Manchester United midfielder on social media.

    World Cup winner Pogba was the subject of discriminatory posts online after failing to convert a penalty in the 1-1 draw at Wolves on Monday.

    United condemned the abuse and pledged to take the "strongest course of action available" ahead of a meeting between the club, Twitter and anti-discriminatory body Kick It Out.

    Pogba's team-mates have spoken out in support of the France international in recent days while advocating for stricter identification protocols for social media users.

    "Paul's fine, Paul's a strong character and it makes him stronger," Solskjaer said, speaking ahead of Saturday's match against Crystal Palace.

    "When you speak to him he's fine and I just cannot be believe we're still sitting here in 2019 talking about these instances.

    "Social media is a place where people can hide behind fake identifies. It's not down to me to change it but there are so many Ole Gunnar Solskjaers on Twitter, and I know it's not me.

    "We've got to do something about it and the authorities have got to do something about it.

    "You feel sorry for [the social media trolls], they must have problems themselves."

    Solskjaer added: "We need to protect individuals and protect people. When there are death threats and racism, it's serious allegations, serious incidents.

    "Sometimes you get annoyed, what can we do about it as Manchester United? We're not going to ban our players from using social media. We have to spread the good word instead.

    "We can use it to spread good and have to stop those incidents."

    Pogba's role as penalty taker at Molineux raised eyebrows, as Marcus Rashford had successfully converted a spot-kick in the 4-0 win over Chelsea on the opening weekend.

    Solskjaer confirmed the pair would continue to share the responsibility but denied the players were left to their own devices when making decisions.

    "It's not that I've left it to the players, we've nominated two and throughout the season you'll have games where they are not playing and it's good to know they're there and trusted to take penalties," the Red Devils boss said.

    "It's not like anarchy and they can do whatever they want, we have a few, last year we had Marcus, Jesse [Lingard] and Paul.

    "It's not left to them."

  • Sanchez talks ongoing but Solskjaer won't rule out Manchester United stay Sanchez talks ongoing but Solskjaer won't rule out Manchester United stay

    Alexis Sanchez is not certain to leave Manchester United even though there are ongoing transfer talks with interested clubs, according to manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

    Chile forward Sanchez was not in the matchday squad for United's first two Premier League games of the season with Chelsea and Wolves, having not taken part in any pre-season fixtures following his efforts at the Copa America.

    The 30-year-old has been heavily linked with Inter, who have already signed Romelu Lukaku from United in this transfer window and are said to be interested in a loan deal.

    It is claimed Sanchez's wage demands are proving a problem for the Nerazzurri, though, with Italy's transfer deadline just 10 days away.

    Solskjaer appears unsure of what will happen with Sanchez, but he was pleased with his efforts in a behind-closed-doors friendly match against Sheffield United this week and does not seem desperate to see the player go.

    "There's still talks with some clubs, but he played in that game and played well," Solskjaer told a news conference on Friday. "So, as I've said, he's working hard and let's see in September what's going to happen."

    Lukaku caused a stir this week when a podcast apparently recorded while he was still a United player was published, in which the striker accused United of effectively nudging him out of the club by failing to protect him from public criticism and transfer speculation.

    Solskjaer refused to become embroiled in the matter, saying: "I'm not going to dive into that one. That interview was made before the summer, wasn't it? When he was a Man United player? So, I think I'd rather not."

    United host Crystal Palace at Old Trafford on Saturday after taking four points from their first two league matches of the season at home to Chelsea and away to Wolves.

    Solskjaer has been encouraged by the fitness displayed in those performances, having been concerned by the way his players allowed their intensity to drop in matches towards the end of last season.

    "The team spirt is great, we've got loads of energy and passion. You can see that with the way we went about the game with Wolverhampton," he said.

    "I thought our pressing was excellent. We gave them five minutes in the second half and that was it, really, when they had the ball and pushed us back but, apart from that, the engine looks so much better.

    "Everyone's fit and when you're physically fit it's easier to be mentally strong as well.

    "[Palace] are a very organised team. They've got pace up front for counter-attacks, strong on set-pieces, so, of course, we know we have to do all parts of the game.

    "We have to attack well, we have to win the ball back when we're losing it and we've got to be strong on set plays."

    Solskjaer also confirmed that full-back Diogo Dalot is likely to be out of action until after the international break next month due to injury.

  • Mexican star Lozano completes transfer to Napoli Mexican star Lozano completes transfer to Napoli

    Napoli have completed the signing of Mexico forward Hirving Lozano from PSV in a deal reportedly worth €40million.

    Lozano spent two seasons in the Eredivisie, scoring 34 league goals for PSV across the two campaigns, and impressed in the Champions League last term.

    The 24-year-old winger also starred for Mexico at the 2018 World Cup, scoring a memorable goal in a 1-0 win over Germany in the group stage.

    Lozano, who had also been linked with Manchester United, has now swapped the Eredivisie for Serie A, with Napoli reportedly paying a club-record transfer fee reported to be €38m plus bonuses.

    Prior to the club's official announcement on Friday, Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis had shared a photo of Lozano signing his contract on his official Twitter account.

    Napoli kick off their Serie A campaign against Fiorentina on Saturday.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.