James can be great at Napoli, says Insigne

By Sports Desk July 17, 2019

Lorenzo Insigne believes James Rodriguez would flourish at Napoli if he chooses to join the Serie A club.

Napoli appear locked in a two-team race to sign the Colombia playmaker, who reportedly favours a move to Atletico Madrid.

The battle may come down to whichever club is willing to meet Real Madrid's asking price which, according to Partenopei president Aurelio De Laurentiis, is beyond reasonable.

Atletico have denied being close to an agreement and Italy international Insigne remains hopeful James will consider a switch to Stadio San Paolo.

"The doors are open for strong players, we welcome them all," the Napoli captain told Radio Kiss Kiss.

"James Rodriguez is a true number 10, he has quality and together with us he would be great.

"Those choices, however, are up to the coach and the club."

Napoli have been quiet in the transfer market to date, acquiring only centre-half Kostas Manolas from Roma and right-back Giovanni Di Lorenzo from Empoli since the end of last season.

But after two successive second-place finishes and with the defender Insigne views as the best in Europe, Kalidou Koulibaly, already on board, Carlo Ancelotti's men are continuing to aim high.

"The Scudetto is everyone's dream," Insigne said.

"In the past few years we have come close and we have been disappointed. I'm convinced that if we all play with this determination we can cause trouble for anyone.

"We know we have a great competitor like Juve in front of us, but things could change this season with the new coach [at Juve, former Napoli boss Maurizio Sarri].

"I think we are getting stronger, but we have to start off on the right foot because we have the potential to fight at the top."

Related items

  • Liverpool defender Lovren prioritising move to Roma, says agent Liverpool defender Lovren prioritising move to Roma, says agent

    Liverpool defender Dejan Lovren has prioritised a move to Serie A side Roma, according to agent Alessandro Lucci.

    The Croatia international has not been used by Liverpool this season and was left out of the squad entirely for the Premier League opener against Norwich City and the UEFA Super Cup clash versus Chelsea.

    Roma were considered the favourites to sign Lovren, only for a deal to reportedly collapse as the sides were unable to agree a fee.

    However, Lucci suggested there is still hope of a move going through before the Serie A transfer window closes.

    "Lovren is very open to joining Roma and I think that's obvious, seeing as we are talking about a great club," he told Tuttomercatoweb.

    "After Gianluca Petrachi [sporting director] and Guido Fienga [CEO] took over, you can tell there is a new and far healthier atmosphere at Roma, along with long-term planning for a great future.

    "Every operation has its problems, especially for a player of Lovren's calibre who reached the Champions League final in the last two seasons.

    "At times, you can overcome these obstacles. I don't know if Lovren will join the Giallorossi, but as things stand, that would certainly be his priority.

    Lovren's recent absence has been put down to illness and he spent time on the sidelines last season with pelvic and hamstring injuries, but Lucci stressed the 30-year-old is ready to play.

    "I want to counter any stories of fitness issues," he said. "At the start of last year, after an entire season and reaching the World Cup final with Croatia, he had pelvic strain issues that kept him out for the initial part of the campaign, but that's all."

  • Simeone calls for transfer window to close before LaLiga season starts Simeone calls for transfer window to close before LaLiga season starts

    Atletico Madrid boss Diego Simeone has reiterated his desire for the transfer window to close before the LaLiga season starts.

    Spanish clubs have until September 2 to complete their transfer business and there is still the possibility of incoming and outgoing activity at the Wanda Metropolitano.

    Atletico, who begin their campaign with a home match against Getafe on Sunday, have been strongly linked with Valencia forward Rodrigo and Angel Correa is among those to have been tipped for the exit.

    Simeone said he wants LaLiga to follow the example set by the Premier League in moving the cut-off point for new signings as it would be "mentally healthier" for teams.

    "I think all the managers would love it, like it happens in England," he said. 

    "If I am not wrong, all of them have the squad built when the competition starts. 

    "It would be mentally healthier for everyone being focused on the guys who will play. Now we have to wait until September 2 as there can be updates."

    Atletico appeared to be on the brink of signing Rodrigo from LaLiga counterparts Valencia earlier this week, only to pull the plug on a deal reported to be worth €60million.

    Valencia general director Mateu Alemany revealed the original offer is "no longer on the table", but Simeone was unwilling to comment on the transfer saga ahead of Sunday's meeting with Getafe.

    "You should ask to Andrea Berta, Miguel Angel [Gil Marin] and Enrique [Cerezo]," he said. "I am just focused on Getafe, a team who did a fantastic season last year."

    Correa's future is also uncertain on the eve of the new season amid links to AC Milan, though that deal could depend on Rodrigo joining Atletico as a replacement.
     
    Asked if Correa is part of his plans, Simeone said: "I would like all the good players to stay. I would also like to sign all the good players and build the strongest team possible to compete as the team has competed so far."

    Koke, Saul Niguez, Jan Oblak and Jose Gimenez have been installed as Atletico's four captains for 2019-20 following the departures of Diego Godin, Juanfran and Antoine Griezmann during the close season.

  • Cuisance to join Bayern Munich immediately, Gladbach confirm Cuisance to join Bayern Munich immediately, Gladbach confirm

    Mickael Cuisance has passed his Bayern Munich medical and left Borussia Monchengladbach after the Bundesliga clubs reached a transfer agreement.

    Gladbach confirmed the midfielder will join the champions with immediate effect following the completion of relevant paperwork on Saturday.

    Bayern are yet to verify whether Cuisance has officially signed his contract at the Allianz Arena.

    Their sporting director, Hasan Salihamidzic, announced the France Under-20 international's imminent arrival on Friday as he confirmed a deal was in place to secure Barcelona midfielder Philippe Coutinho on an initial season-long loan.

    "After two seasons with Borussia, Mickael Cuisance will leave to join Bayern Munich with immediate effect," read a Gladbach statement.

    "The 20-year-old midfielder completed a medical in Munich on Friday, with both clubs reaching an agreement on the transfer deal on Saturday."

    Bayern commenced their title defence with a 2-2 draw against Hertha Berlin, while Gladbach begin their season on Saturday at home to Schalke.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.