Raiola will not rule out Pogba following De Ligt to Juventus

By Sports Desk July 17, 2019

Paul Pogba's agent Mino Raiola has refused to discount the prospect of the Manchester United midfielder returning to Juventus.

Raiola has confirmed the France star is keen for a new challenge three years after returning to United from Juve in what was then a world-record fee of £89.3million.

Pogba appears most likely to join either Real Madrid or Juve if he leaves Old Trafford, although both clubs are likely to face difficulty in generating sufficient funds to tempt United into a sale.

The Serie A champions are poised to sign Matthijs de Ligt from Ajax in a deal that could reportedly cost them as much as €80m, meaning they would almost certainly need to sell players or offer a part-exchange deal to United to stand any chance of securing Pogba's signature.

However, Raiola is not prepared to rule out Pogba's return to Turin, telling reporters on Wednesday: "I live my life day by day. This is what I can say. Today I am here; tomorrow, I don't know."

For now, Raiola is more concerned with finalising De Ligt's move to Juve from Eredivisie champions Ajax.

Describing reports linking the centre-back with Barcelona as "bull***t", he thinks De Ligt's decision to join Juve could prove pivotal to his aspirations of becoming the world's best player.

"It's not a matter of being ambitious or not," he said. "Juventus is the club that most suits his career ideas.

"It is important for a defender to play in Italy, to learn. In his mind, he wants to become the best footballer in the world. That is why this is a necessary stage in his career.

"Amongst the youngsters [in the world] he is number one, for sure. Then, it is not too hard to become the best in the world, but you have to work for it.

"He is the most similar player to - or even better than - [Pavel] Nedved in terms of mentality, and he is similar to Zlatan [Ibrahimovic] for his ambition. He has got everything to become what he has to become."

Related items

  • Fernandes: Premier League always my preference ahead of reported Man Utd move Fernandes: Premier League always my preference ahead of reported Man Utd move

    Bruno Fernandes said moving to the Premier League has "always" been his preference after Manchester United reportedly struck a deal to sign the Sporting CP captain.

    One of football's most drawn-out transfer sagas is believed to be reaching its conclusion, with Fernandes poised to swap Sporting for United in a deal initially worth £47million (€55m) plus add-ons ahead of Friday's deadline.

    Fernandes – heavily linked to struggling Premier League giants United this month and in the previous transfer window – is reportedly set to travel to Manchester on Wednesday.

    Asked if the Premier League was his preference following reports of a possible move to either LaLiga champions Barcelona or Valencia, Fernandes told SIC: "It always was."

    Pressed on whether United was his specific preference, the Portugal international midfielder replied: "Anything really."

    Fernandes, linked to Tottenham and Real Madrid previously, has scored 15 goals in all competitions for Sporting this season.

    The 25-year-old netted 31 goals last term, including 20 in Primeira Liga.

    United, meanwhile, face Manchester City in the second leg of their EFL Cup semi-final – trailing 3-1.

    Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's Red Devils then play Wolves in the Premier League on Saturday before their mid-season break.

  • Man Utd condemn those involved in attack on Woodward's home Man Utd condemn those involved in attack on Woodward's home

    Manchester United will ban for life any supporters who were involved in an attack on the home of executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward on Tuesday.

    The Mirror reported between 20 and 30 fans threw flares at Woodward's house on the eve of United's EFL Cup semi-final second leg against Manchester City.

    In a statement provided to Omnisport, the Premier League club criticised the attack, saying there was "no excuse" for the "unwarranted" act.

    "Manchester United Football Club have tonight been made aware of the incident outside the home of one of our employees," the statement read.

    "We know that the football world will unite behind us as we work with Greater Manchester Police to identify the perpetrators of this unwarranted attack.

    "Anybody found guilty of a criminal offence, or found to be trespassing on this property, will be banned for life by the club.

    "Fans expressing opinion is one thing, criminal damage and intent to endanger life and property is another. There is simply no excuse for this."

    United fans had chanted about Woodward - who was understood not to be at home at the time of the incident - and the club's owners, the Glazers, during a 6-0 FA Cup win over Tranmere Rovers on Sunday.

    Sitting fifth in the Premier League, United have been increasingly criticised amid a difficult run of form that has seen them win only three of their previous eight games in all competitions.

    It also comes as they reportedly continue to work on bringing in reinforcements in January, with Sporting CP star Bruno Fernandes a target.

  • I'll be proud to lead Villa out at Wembley - Smith revels in booking EFL Cup spot I'll be proud to lead Villa out at Wembley - Smith revels in booking EFL Cup spot

    Dean Smith "will be a very proud man" when he leads Aston Villa out at Wembley after they dramatically beat Leicester City 2-1 to earn a place in the EFL Cup final.

    The game at Villa Park looked destined for extra time after Kelechi Iheanacho cancelled out Matt Targett's opener to make it 1-1 on Tuesday and 2-2 on aggregate.

    However, Trezeguet steered home a right-wing cross from Ahmed El Mohamady on the volley in stoppage time to spark scenes of jubilation, with fans invading the pitch following the final whistle.

    Villa, who last won the trophy in 1996 and were runners-up in 2010, are likely to face Manchester City in the showpiece, with Pep Guardiola's side holding a 3-1 aggregate lead over Manchester United ahead of the second leg at the Etihad Stadium on Wednesday.

    "I certainly let myself go with the goal. That deep onto stoppage time, there was a bit of emotion from everybody when that goal went in and the place erupted," Smith told Sky Sports.

    "To go and get the win at the death like we did there – we had it last week against Watford in the last minute and we've had it again today.

    "But to be taking this club to Wembley, we've got a great history and a proud history in this competition, and I'll be a very proud man leading them out at Wembley."

    With Pepe Reina missing out due to a tight calf, goalkeeper Orjan Nyland featured for the first time since conceding six against City on January 12, making five saves across the 90 minutes.

    "Our goalkeeper made three great saves early, two low down and one tipped onto the crossbar," said Smith. "But I thought we were aggressive as well and it was a good game of football with both teams trying to win it.

    "We certainly are [making a habit of late wins] and it's certainly a good time to score, because you can see from the eruption in the stadium that they know it's very difficult to get back in it.

    "I'm proud because the players were aggressive, had chances and created chances and made it a really tight game."

    Leicester manager Brendan Rodgers felt his team deserved to win and was disappointed they did not get a first-half penalty when James Maddison's shot struck Marvelous Nakamba's arm.

    "I thought we were excellent in the game. Their goalkeeper made some outstanding saves. We played with a nice control and composure in the game, created opportunities," Rodgers told Sky Sports.

    "I thought we had a clear handball, it looked a definite penalty, so I'm just gutted for my players because they put so much into the game. Especially coming from behind, playing with that composure and scoring a very good goal.

    "By the end of the game I thought there was only one team looked like they were going to win it, but we switch off from the cross and the guy gets in at the back post and scores it.

    "It's tough to take looking back over the two games but congratulations to Aston Villa, they go through and we have to move on."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.