BREAKING NEWS: Newcastle replace Benitez with ex-Sunderland boss Bruce

By Sports Desk July 17, 2019

Newcastle United have confirmed the appointment of boyhood fan and ex-Sunderland boss Steve Bruce as their new head coach, replacing departed manager Rafael Benitez.

The Magpies had been searching for a new coach since Benitez's departure at the end of his contract last month and they have found their man in Bruce, who leaves Sheffield Wednesday after a short but impressive stint.

The former Manchester United captain was reported to have resigned from his role at Wednesday earlier this week, having confirmed talks with Newcastle.

Bruce's links to rivals Sunderland, where he was manager between 2009 and 2011, may not go down well with supporters who were already organising protests against owner Mike Ashley, but he has signed a three-year deal at St James' Park.

Related items

  • Zidane the man for France when Deschamps leaves, says FFF president Zidane the man for France when Deschamps leaves, says FFF president

    France will target Zinedine Zidane to replace Didier Deschamps when the World Cup-winning coach departs, FFF president Noel Le Graet revealed.

    Real Madrid head coach Zidane has been linked with the France post previously, but he returned to the Santiago Bernabeu last year.

    Meanwhile, Deschamps, in charge of the national team since 2012, last month signed a contract extension to stay in his role through to the 2022 World Cup.

    The France boss has championed his former team-mate as a future coach of Les Bleus, though, and chief Le Graet is also keen.

    "The day Didier decides to leave or his contract is not renewed, if Zidane is available at that time, he will be the man for the job," Le Graet told Canal+.

    That opportunity could come as soon as 2022, as Deschamps' position beyond the Qatar World Cup is uncertain.

    "There is Qatar," Le Graet said. "Didier will be there and then, maybe afterwards, I don't know."

    Deschamps and Zidane won the 1998 World Cup together as players, before the former Juventus coach led his country to a second success two years ago in Russia.

    Zidane won three consecutive Champions League titles in his first stint as Madrid coach, later returning when the LaLiga giants were struggling last year.

  • Man Utd 'mentally' need mid-season break - Solskjaer Man Utd 'mentally' need mid-season break - Solskjaer

    Ole Gunnar Solskjaer claimed Manchester United's dreadful defeat to Burnley was not "a fair reflection" of his players as they were "mentally" drained 10 days out from a mid-season break.

    United are fifth in the Premier League but remain six points behind fourth-placed Chelsea after slumping to a shocking 2-0 loss to Burnley at Old Trafford.

    Chris Wood and Jay Rodriguez got the visitors' goals, while United, after passing up promising first-half chances, scarcely threatened a fightback.

    Manager Solskjaer does not want United to wallow in the aftermath of the loss, yet he believes his players are struggling.

    They face Watford or Tranmere Rovers in the FA Cup on Sunday, before an EFL Cup semi-final second leg against rivals Manchester City - who lead 3-1 on aggregate - and a Premier League clash with Wolves.

    United can then enjoy a mid-season break before returning to action at Chelsea on February 17.

    "For us, we've just got to stick to our values, stick to our beliefs, knowing it's no use feeling sorry for yourself," Solskjaer told a news conference. "You know you've got to go out there tomorrow, the day after, getting ready for Sunday.

    "We know we've had X amount of games since the beginning of December and they are very stretched. Some of these have probably played more than they should have and expected.

    "More mentally than physically, I think, they need the mid-season break. So we just need to get over that line, get these three games not out of the way but look forward to Sunday.

    "FA Cup against who knows who still. There's a chance then to get some belief back."

    Solskjaer added United have sporadically been "fantastic" but the Burnley game was an indication of "where we're at" in terms of squad depth, with Paul Pogba, Scott McTominay and Marcus Rashford all out.

    "I wouldn't say today was a fair reflection on this group and the season they've been through," he said. "They've done fantastic at times.

    "Of course, I can't sit here and do anything but hold my hands up and say that's not good enough for Manchester United.

    "But that's where we're at at the moment in terms of players. It's not like we had 10 players on the bench we could have rotated. They've played and they've done fantastic."

  • Rumour Has It: Tottenham to spend big on Willian Jose? Rumour Has It: Tottenham to spend big on Willian Jose?

    Have Tottenham finally found an alternative to Harry Kane?

    According to reports, Spurs are in talks to sign Real Sociedad's Willian Jose with just over a week to go until the transfer window closes.

    But it could take in excess of £50million to finally end their search for a second out-and-out striker.

     

    TOP STORY – SPURS TO DIG DEEP FOR SOCIEDAD STRIKER

    Krzysztof Piatek, Islam Slimani and Fernando Llorente have all been linked but Tottenham have now set their sights on 28-year-old Willian Jose, reports the Guardian.

    The Brazilian was left out of his side's Copa del Rey clash with Espanyol on Wednesday and could now be headed for north London.

    Talks are underway, the Guardian states, although Spurs could be forced to contemplate meeting Willian Jose's €70million (£59m) release clause as Sociedad seek adequate compensation.

    The one-time Real Madrid man has scored eight LaLiga goals this term after reaching double figures in each of the previous three seasons.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - Dani Ceballos has asked Real Madrid to terminate his Arsenal loan and find him a move elsewhere, according to Spanish radio station Cadena SER.

    - The Gunners are set to suffer another blow as Ligue 1 outfit Lyon prepare to confirm the €25million signing of rumoured Atletico Madrid target Bruno Guimaraes, reports L'Equipe.

    - Bundesliga champions Bayern Munich will allow Philippe Coutinho to return to Barcelona at the end of his loan spell if, as desired, the Bundesliga giants land Leroy Sane and Bayer Leverkusen's Kai Havertz, reports Bild.

    - After sealing a deal for Reinier Jesus, Madrid could return to raid Flamengo for 19-year-old forward Lincoln, says Mundo Deportivo.

    - Leicester City plan to bolster their Champions League ambitions by splashing £15million on Southampton centre-back Jannik Vestergaard, according to The Sun.

    - Serie A side Milan have submitted an 18-month loan offer for Manchester City-linked Florentino Luis, claims CalcioMercato. The 20-year-old defensive midfielder plays for Benfica.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.