Manolas completes Napoli switch

By Sports Desk July 13, 2019

Kostas Manolas has completed a reported €36million switch to Napoli from Roma after undergoing a medical on Saturday.

Roma announced on June 30 that the 28-year-old was due to depart for their Serie A rivals, and the transfer has since gone through, with the defender understood to have signed a five-year contract.

Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis seemed to confirm the completion of the deal with a "welcome" post on Twitter earlier in the day, before the club followed suit on their official account.

Greece international Manolas spent five years with the Giallorossi after signing from Olympiacos and will bolster Napoli's options at centre-back following the departure of Raul Albiol to Villarreal.

Manolas is Napoli's sixth signing of the close-season, following Alex Meret, Giovanni Di Lorenzo, David Ospina, Orestis Karnezis and Luigi Liguori.

The experienced defender will be expected to line up alongside Kalidou Koulibaly, provided the Senegal international does not leave.

Related items

  • Icardi to Monaco ruled out by Wanda Nara Icardi to Monaco ruled out by Wanda Nara

    Mauro Icardi will not be joining Monaco, the Inter striker's wife and agent Wanda Nara has insisted.

    Argentina international Icardi has been linked with a switch to the Ligue 1 side after being told he can leave San Siro.

    The Inter captaincy was taken off the player last term and he appears to have no future at the club under coach Antonio Conte.

    Nara, however, has ruled out a Monaco move before the French and Italian transfer windows close on September 2.

    "He will not go to Monaco," Nara said simply to TyC Sports.

    Monaco are reportedly seeking a successor to Radamel Falcao, who has been linked with Galatasaray.

    Free agent Daniel Sturridge, who left Liverpool at the end of his contract, is reportedly a target for Leonardo Jardim's side.

  • Coutinho 'a worthy successor' to Robben's No.10 shirt at Bayern Coutinho 'a worthy successor' to Robben's No.10 shirt at Bayern

    Bayern Munich asked retired Arjen Robben for permission before giving new signing Philippe Coutinho his old No.10 shirt and club CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge believes the Brazilian is a worthy successor.

    After a difficult 18-month spell with Barcelona, Coutinho completed a season-long loan move to Bayern on Monday, with the German champions able to make the switch permanent for €120million.

    Bayern have been undertaking something of a rebuild in recent months, with various older players being moved on or retiring.

    Chief among those are Franck Ribery and Robben, with the latter opting to hang up his boots after a 10-year spell at the club that saw him win 20 trophies.

    Given their respective contributions to Bayern, Rummenigge confirmed they intended to leave the No.7 and No.10 jerseys unoccupied, but Robben gave permission for Coutinho to take his.

    When asked about where Coutinho will play, Rummenigge told a news conference: "Hasan [Salihamidzic, sporting director] and Niko [Kovac, coach] have already agreed on all the tactical variants, and Hasan had a talk with Arjen Robben this morning.

    "We did not want to give his number away for the time being, as a special gesture, but we also wanted to show how important and valuable this is.

    "It was also a very important sign for Philippe that the club is also fully behind him, so Arjen has no problem at all, he wishes him all the best, and he is a more than worthy successor."

    Coutinho could make his Bayern debut on Saturday when they travel to Gelsenkirchen to face Schalke in the Bundesliga.

  • Coutinho accepts Barcelona spell 'didn't work out' as hoped Coutinho accepts Barcelona spell 'didn't work out' as hoped

    Philippe Coutinho accepts his time at Barcelona "didn't work out" the way he had hoped after he completed a loan move to Bayern Munich on Monday.

    Coutinho joined Barca from Liverpool in January 2018 in a deal potentially worth a reported €160million and things began promisingly, as he scored eight goals in his first 18 LaLiga games.

    However, he struggled for consistency and failed to hold down a spot in the starting XI last season, playing only 22 matches from the beginning.

    Coutinho became a scapegoat for fans and came in for increased criticism – as did coach Ernesto Valverde and team-mate Ivan Rakitic – after Barca's Champions League semi-final exit to Liverpool, despite them winning the first leg 3-0.

    The Brazil international had been suggested as a potential makeweight in a deal to take Neymar from Paris Saint-Germain back to Camp Nou, but Bayern secured his loan signing with a €120m purchase option.

    Coutinho acknowledges things could have gone better in LaLiga but insists he is excited to be joining the German champions.

    "Concerning Barcelona, things didn't work out the way we wanted," Coutinho told reporters at his Bayern presentation.

    "But that's the past. This is a new club, a big club, an important club. I hope I'll be here for a long time and win lots of titles."

    Despite the difficulties Coutinho had at Barca, he is adamant it was not all a negative experience – though he had no doubts about leaving for Bayern.

    "Within those years I did have great experiences," he said. "I learnt a lot, won a lot with that club and then we had the Copa America, which I won with Brazil and that was really important.

    "Now I have a chance at a new club, a big club. I didn't have any doubts when Hasan [Salihamidzic, Bayern sporting director] called me.

    "He really wanted me to come here, so they flew to Barcelona, we met, they showed me the project and that's why I really want to thank them, because from the first second [it was clear] how they see me. That was important for me to see."

    Coutinho could make his debut away to Schalke on Saturday.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.