Rumour Has It: Man United desperate to sign Maguire

By Sports Desk July 05, 2019

Manchester United are desperate to sign Leicester City defender Harry Maguire.

Maguire, 26, has reportedly told Leicester he wants to leave, with both Manchester clubs linked with a move for the centre-back.

But it seems Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is eager to bring the England international to Old Trafford.

 

TOP STORY – MAN UNITED STARS GIVE MAGUIRE THUMBS-UP

Maguire is Manchester United's number one defensive target, according to the Mirror.

The report says Solskjaer received positive feedback from the likes of Marcus Rashford, Jesse Lingard and Ashley Young, the United trio having played with Maguire for England.

The Mirror also say United assistant manager Mike Phelan is desperate for the club to sign Maguire, who he worked with briefly as Hull City manager in 2016-17.

It was reported earlier this week that United had made a £70million bid for Maguire.

ROUND-UP

- Staying at Old Trafford, Manchester United have offered goalkeeper David de Gea – who has been linked with a move away – a final £350,000-per-week contract, according to The Sun.

- Romelu Lukaku is set to join United's pre-season tour despite reportedly being set for a move away. The Sun say Inter are yet to meet United's £75m price tag for the striker.

- After 12-and-a-half years at the Santiago Bernabeu, Marcelo is set to leave Real Madrid. The left-back, who faced plenty of criticism during 2018-19, will leave the LaLiga giants in the coming weeks, according to Sport.

- It looks set to be a busy few days for West Ham. The Premier League club have agreed to sell Marko Arnautovic to Shanghai SIPG for £23m, according to the Daily Mail. The Mirror say the Hammers are looking at West Brom striker Salomon Rondon, while Football London report the club are trying to land Celta Vigo forward Maxi Gomez, who was set to join Valencia.

- There could be another talented forward heading to China, with Sky Sport Italia reporting Stephan El Shaarawy has agreed to move to Shanghai Shenhua. Roma reportedly want €20m for the forward.

- AC Milan have completed a €16m move for Empoli midfielder Ismael Bennacer, according to Gianluca Di Marzio, who also reports the club have enquired about Benfica's Gedson Fernandes. Still at San Siro, Sky Sports News report Liverpool are not looking to sell rumoured Rossoneri target Dejan Lovren.

Related items

  • Garcia to comfort Lopes after howler: We don't blame him for Lyon loss Garcia to comfort Lopes after howler: We don't blame him for Lyon loss

    Rudi Garcia insisted Lyon "do not blame" Anthony Lopes for their loss to Benfica after his Champions League howler.

    A moment of madness from Lyon goalkeeper Lopes saw Garcia's side lose 2-1 to Benfica in Group G on Wednesday.

    The goalkeeper's attempt to start a quick counter backfired when his throw went straight to Pizzi, who gleefully struck a first-time effort into an empty net.

    Memphis Depay had cancelled out Rafa Silva's fourth-minute opener in Lisbon, where Lyon were left on four points – level with second-placed Zenit and two adrift of RB Leipzig.

    "I have not seen him yet because he is at the anti-doping control, after which I will hasten to see him, to comfort him," head coach Garcia told reporters.

    "Everyone can make a mistake. We are with him. It's sure that this goal comes at the wrong time, it's late, and it's complicated to come back and equalise. We were closer to winning the match than losing it. 

    "After, we must be objective, we did not make a good first period. However, we have skilled players but we must do better, we must do more sequences in one touch and be faster with the ball. The team nevertheless showed personality. We could have won. We must rely on what is going well."

    On Lopes, Garcia added: "It can happen, we do not blame him. He fell victim to wanting to play too fast. He wanted us to score a second goal and he was a little rushed. Nothing can be done against an individual error. I trust him to win us points as he does every season."

    After two defeats to start their Champions League campaign, Benfica won for the first time this season.

    Pizzi's winner saw Benfica move onto three points, only one point behind Zenit and Lyon heading into matchday four.

    "We have mastered the start of the match," Benfica coach Bruno Lage said. "We produced a high-level first half. In the second, it is true that Lyon had more control, but they are not so dangerous as that. 

    "I think that, overall, we had more opportunities than our opponent and our victory seems deserved. We are playing a difficult, demanding competition. If the fans are not satisfied with our performance, I do not know what to say."

  • Favre: Everything still possible despite Dortmund defeat Favre: Everything still possible despite Dortmund defeat

    Borussia Dortmund head coach Lucien Favre remains upbeat about his team's qualification chances, despite their loss to Inter in the Champions League.

    Dortmund left Milan emptyhanded after going down 2-0 to hosts Inter in Group F action on Wednesday.

    Favre's side succumbed to goals from Lautaro Martinez and Antonio Candreva at San Siro, where Inter leapfrogged Dortmund into second position on goal difference.

    Inter and Dortmund are level on four points after three matchdays, three points adrift of leaders Barcelona.

    Reflecting on the match, Favre – whose position has reportedly come into question amid Jose Mourinho being linked to his job – said: "We played well; in the first half we were very solid, too bad that we conceded that first goal.

    "Except for that, it was okay. We didn't have lots of chances but played rather well. We waited patiently and avoided counterattacks. We had a clear chance which we should have done better with.

    "We went in at the break a goal down, then had a couple of chances before they made it 2-0. We should have done better with those chances.

    "It was our plan to play a compact game and press them in the right moment. We cannot expect to have 10 chances against this team. It is a difficult group, but everything is still possible."

    Dortmund are fourth in the Bundesliga and only one point off the pace after their win over leaders Borussia Monchengladbach last week.

    However, Favre – who saw Dortmund finish runners-up to Bayern Munich last season after surrendering a lead atop the table – has still been criticised in Germany.

    "Some things were missing, we did not get bodies into the box," Dortmund general manager Sebastian Kehl said, in quotes published on UEFA.com. "Nevertheless, we didn't necessarily have to lose 2-0 today.

    "The coach had an idea how to change things, it did work out quite well, we did not allow them a lot, but we were asleep for the opener. I don't think the tactical set-up was the problem."

  • Klopp: Oxlade-Chamberlain can improve... like Liverpool Klopp: Oxlade-Chamberlain can improve... like Liverpool

    Jurgen Klopp believes there is much more to come from Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain after the midfielder's excellent brace inspired Liverpool's 4-1 Champions League win at Genk.

    Oxlade-Chamberlain made his first appearance in Europe's top competition since rupturing his anterior cruciate ligament in the 2018 semi-final against Roma and marked the occasion in style.

    A low drive gave him and Liverpool a second-minute opener at the Luminus Arena but it was his second before the hour that brought the house down.

    After collecting Roberto Firmino's pass, Oxlade-Chamberlain unleashed a magnificent shot with the outside of his right foot from 20 yards that went in off the underside of Gaetan Coucke's crossbar.

    Sadio Mane and Mohamed Salah added goals that were similarly easy on the eye before substitute Stephen Odey netted a late consolation – adding up to a scoreline that felt a touch harsh on Genk after they cut through the Liverpool defence frequently.

    "An absolutely great moment for him but Ox’s performance was, I would say, exactly like the performance of the team: the goals were great but all the rest could have been better," Klopp told a post-match news conference.

    "That’s how it is, it’s no problem. The goals were sensational and very important for us.

    "Obviously it was wonderful last Sunday that Adam [Lallana] scored the goal and now Ox has scored two goals which is really nice. It’s absolutely great, a great story."

    Klopp felt Liverpool left themselves exposed to a pacey Genk attack by carelessly ceding possession during the first half.

    "The plan worked for 10 or 15 minutes okay and then not anymore because we lost completed unexpected balls, which we were not ready for," he said.

    "We lost too many of them and sometimes we took a risk in the wrong moment. A pass or a one-two in a very tight space, it makes not too much sense.

    "Then we scored the second goal, the first goal was brilliant but the second was even nicer – all our goals were unbelievably beautiful – and the second looked like it was a proper knock for Genk."

    Klopp confirmed Andy Robertson's second-half substitution was not caused by an injury after the Scotland international endured some torrid moments against Genk winger Junya Ito.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.