Lafont swaps Fiorentina for Nantes

By Sports Desk June 29, 2019

Nantes have agreed a two-year loan with a purchase option to bring Fiorentina goalkeeper Alban Lafont to Stade de la Beaujoire.

The 20-year-old was Fiorentina's first-choice goalkeeper in 2018-19, making 34 appearances as La Viola finished 16th in Serie A after joining for €8.5million from Toulouse in July 2018.

Despite holding down his place in the team under Stefano Pioli and then Vincenzo Monella, Lafont failed to settle in Tuscany and opted to return to Ligue 1 with Nantes, who have an option to make the signing permanent for a reported €7million fee.

Born in Burkina Faso, Lafont has played for France at youth level and made 98 Ligue 1 appearances during three years at Toulouse.

He told FirenzeViola the decision to leave was his own rather than Fiorentina's, saying: "I was really happy in Florence, a very beautiful city and it will always remain in my heart because of its history. But it had to end, I felt that my path had come to an end.

"I take all the responsibility, it was my choice. I had already decided well before the end of the season to leave. I explained to my entourage my desire to go to another club and fortunately everything was concluded quickly.

"I could have opted for other destinations, given that the offers were not lacking, but in the end I decided to return to the country where I've done my best things."

Fiorentina have welcomed Polish goalkeeper Bartlomiej Dragowski back to the club after he completed a loan at Empoli and fellow shot-stopper Michele Cerofolini has also returned to Stadio Artemio Franchi after spending 2018-19 at Bisceglie in Serie C.

Related items

  • Adrien Silva follows Islam Slimani in making Monaco loan move Adrien Silva follows Islam Slimani in making Monaco loan move

    Leicester City midfielder Adrien Silva has returned to Monaco on loan.

    Silva signed for Leicester in 2017 but has featured just 21 times for the Foxes in his spell at the King Power Stadium.

    He spent the second half of last season on loan at Monaco and will return to the Stade Louis II for the remainder of the 2019-20 campaign.

    The move sees Silva link up again with Islam Slimani, who joined Monaco in a temporary deal on Wednesday.

    Silva helped Monaco remain in Ligue 1 last season and goes back to the club with Leonardo Jardim's men having endured an awful start to the season.

    Monaco have suffered successive 3-0 defeats to Lyon and Metz, having a man sent off in each of those games.

  • Sanches secures Bayern exit with €25m Lille move Sanches secures Bayern exit with €25m Lille move

    Renato Sanches has completed a reported €25million move to Lille days after bemoaning Bayern Munich's apparent refusal to sell him.

    Portugal international Sanches looked one of world football's most exciting talents when he starred on the big stage at Euro 2016, earning a lucrative transfer from Benfica to Bayern.

    But the 22-year-old failed to impress in Germany, also enduring with an unsuccessful loan in the Premier League with Swansea City, and appeared set to depart in this transfer window.

    Sanches suggested he was happy to stay during the close season but repeated his desire for more minutes and then aired frustrations when he came off the bench for five minutes in the Bundesliga opener against Hertha Berlin.

    The midfielder said Bayern twice prevented him from leaving, yet he has now been allowed to move on, signing for Lille on a five-year contract after arriving in France on Friday.

    "Renato Sanches asked us to transfer because he wanted to join a club where he would like more games," said Bayern's chief executive Karl-Heinz Rummenigge.

    "Unfortunately, we could not guarantee him this at Bayern. Match practice is also important to him because he wants to claim his place in the Portuguese national team for Euro 2020.

    "I would like to thank Renato for his achievements and wish him all the best for his future on behalf of Bayern."

    Lille finished second in Ligue 1 last season, qualifying for the Champions League, but lost star man Nicolas Pepe to Arsenal.

    "My wish was to join Lille so I'm really happy to be here," Sanches told Lille's official website. "I was very well received and I hope everything will be fine for me.

    "I have been in contact with [sporting director] Luis Campos for a long time already. His words and the project they carry with [president] Gerard Lopez convinced me, as did the confidence they show in me.

    "I talked a lot with Jose Fonte, I always got on well with him. I do not know all my other team-mates well, but I cannot wait to meet them all. Go LOSC!"

  • Ashley Williams joins Bristol City on short-term deal Ashley Williams joins Bristol City on short-term deal

    Former Everton defender Ashley Williams has joined Bristol City on a short-term deal.

    Williams, who was left out of the Wales squad this week, had been without a club since being released by Everton at the end of last season.

    Bristol City have the option to extend the deal if the centre-back impresses at Ashton Gate before January.

    "I'd like to offer Ashley a very warm welcome," head coach Lee Johnson told the club's website. "His experience will be invaluable, both on and off the pitch, and we're all looking forward to getting to work with him."

    Williams, who turned 35 on Friday, could be in the squad for Saturday's Championship game against Hull City, although he admits he is unlikely to be fully fit until next month.

    "I need a bit of work after missing pre-season," he said. "I haven't played since the internationals [in June], but we've got a plan and I'll be working on that over the next couple of weeks.

    "There's a good set of players, nice guys first and foremost with a very organised manager who sets the weeks up brilliantly."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.