Griezmann will play for Barca, I've known since March – Atletico Madrid CEO

By Sports Desk June 12, 2019

Atletico Madrid CEO Miguel Angel Gil Marin claims he has known since March that Antoine Griezmann will play for Barcelona next season.

Griezmann revealed his desire to leave Atletico for a new challenge just before the end of the 2018-19 campaign, despite signing a new contract last June.

When Griezmann agreed his new deal, he announced his decision in a documentary-style video, putting an end to prolonged speculation linking him with Barcelona.

He was not at his sparkling best for Atletico this season, however, scoring 15 times in 37 league matches, a significant decline from the haul of 19 in 32 games the previous term.

Links to Barca have gone quiet in recent weeks, with Atletico insisting they have had no contact from anyone at the league champions, though Gil Marin is certain a move to Camp Nou will materialise for the Frenchman.

"I know where Griezmann is going to play: at Barcelona. It is known since March," Gil Marin told Movistar.

Griezmann is contracted to Atletico until 2023 and is reported to have a €120million release clause.

Related items

  • Palestine FA president's appeal rejected after 'inciting hatred' against Lionel Messi Palestine FA president's appeal rejected after 'inciting hatred' against Lionel Messi

    The Court of Arbitration for Sport has rejected the Palestine Football Association president's appeal against a 12-month ban for "inciting hatred and violence" against Lionel Messi.

    Ahead of Argentina's scheduled pre-World Cup friendly against Israel in June 2018, Jibril Rajoub spoke out about the match amid the conflict and political tension between Israelis and Palestinians.

    The match was due to take place in Teddy Stadium, Jerusalem, a ground built on land said to have belonged to a Palestinian village before its destruction in 1948.

    Rajoub urged fans to target Messi and incited them to burn shirts bearing the Barcelona star's name, with the match ultimately being cancelled.

    FIFA received a complaint from the Israeli Football Association and Rajoub was given a 12-month ban from all matches at any level until August 23, 2019, while also being fined 20,000 Swiss francs (€18,056).

    His appeal to FIFA was rejected in September, two months before he raised the case with the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).

    Rajoub has again been unsuccessful in fighting the punishment, with the CAS panel adjudging him to have "failed to establish that any procedural violations were committed in the proceedings before the FIFA disciplinary committee...  that could justify the annulment of such decisions".

    CAS, in its statement, added: "Accordingly, the CAS panel dismissed the appeal and confirmed FIFA appeal committee decision of 24 September 2018."

  • Asllani becomes first signing for Real Madrid's women's team Asllani becomes first signing for Real Madrid's women's team

    Kosovare Asllani has become the first signing for Real Madrid's women's team after a stellar Women's World Cup campaign with Sweden.

    Madrid have incorporated CD Tacon into their structure after completing a takeover of the club, announcing the merger last month.

    Tacon will keep their name for 2019-20 before being rebranded as Madrid, and their hopes of challenging Atletico Madrid and Barcelona following promotion to the top division have been boosted by the addition of Asllani.

    Asllani scored three goals as Sweden reached the semi-finals in France, where they lost 1-0 to Netherlands, her third strike coming in the third place play-off win over England.

    The former Paris Saint-Germain and Manchester City forward joins from Linkopings and wrote on Twitter: "Proud to announce that I'll be the first official signing for Real Madrid/CD Tacon.

    "Excited to write history, to help build and be part of this team's journey from the very start. It'll be a dream to wear the most beautiful jersey in the world starting next season. HALA MADRID."

  • Mikel retires from international football Mikel retires from international football

    John Obi Mikel has announced his retirement from international football after helping Nigeria to third place in the Africa Cup of Nations.

    The Super Eagles lost to Algeria in the last four in Egypt, but atoned for that disappointment to a degree with a 1-0 win over Tunisia in the third place play-off.

    That game marked the last appearance in a Nigeria shirt for Mikel, who confirmed the end of his career for his country in a post on Instagram.

    It read: "Egypt is a country where I've started and have finished my national career. In 2006 I played my first official championship for my country. [The] 2019 Africa Cup of Nations marks my last championship for national team with Super Eagles. 

    "My national career started in 2003 [at the] under-17 World Cup and I'm grateful for the national team for placing me on the world arena and giving me an opportunity to show my skill and have an incredible national and international career.

    "At the age of 32 it's time for me to retire from the national team and let the youth take over, who've done an amazing job securing a bronze medal at AFCON 2019. 

    "Thank you to all my Nigerian supporters and to my country for all the trust, support and love you've shown me over the past 15 years.

    "Mikel am out!"

    MIkel won the AFCON in 2013 and collected a bronze medal at the 2016 Olympic Games, while he also featured for the Super Eagles at the 2014 and 2018 World Cups.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.