Leyton Orient manager Edinburgh dies aged 49

By Sports Desk June 08, 2019

Leyton Orient manager Justin Edinburgh died at the age of 49 following a heart attack, the League Two club announced.

Edinburgh was hospitalised on Monday after suffering a cardiac arrest and the Englishman passed away on Saturday.

An FA Cup winner with Tottenham as a player, Edinburgh had guided Orient back into the English Football League in 2018-19, having taken over in November 2017.

"We are completely heartbroken by this tragedy," said Orient chairman Nigel Travis. "All our thoughts and love are with the Edinburgh family and we know from the messages that have flooded into the club over the last week that the wider football world will share our sentiments.

"The success that Justin brought to Leyton Orient was incredible, but more importantly the impact he had on us all as a winner and a wonderful, inspirational human being will be his legacy and will stay with us forever."

Edinburgh, who also managed Northampton Town, Gillingham and Newport County prior to joining Orient, was part of Tottenham's FA Cup-winning team in 1991.

The former Southend United and Portsmouth full-back also won the 1998-99 EFL Cup with Spurs, where he made more than 200 appearances between 1990 and 2000.

"We are deeply saddened and shocked to hear of the passing of Justin Edinburgh," Tottenham said in a statement.

"Our heartfelt condolences and thoughts go out to his family and friends at this terribly difficult time as well as everyone who worked alongside Justin at Leyton Orient."

League Managers Association (LMA) chairman Howard Wilkinson added: "Justin will be remembered by all in the game as a true professional. A hard-working man who became successful as a player at the highest level of the game and turned his love of football into a life-long career as a coach and as a manager.

"At a time when he should be celebrating the success of his team and preparing for the rewards of league football next season, he has been lost to the game and to his community too soon.

"Our thoughts are with his wife Kerri, his children Charlie and Cydnie and all of Justin’s family and friends at this very sad time."

Related items

  • Zidane introduces Madrid outcast Bale at half-time against Arsenal Zidane introduces Madrid outcast Bale at half-time against Arsenal

    Real Madrid outcast Gareth Bale was introduced by Zinedine Zidane at half-time in the International Champions Cup clash with Arsenal.

    Bale has been tipped for an imminent departure from Madrid after he was left out of the squad for last week's defeat to Bayern Munich.

    Zidane confirmed Bale was close to leaving the Santiago Bernabeu, with the Madrid boss determined to sell the Wales international sooner rather than later.

    Bale – linked to the Chinese Super League – was among the substitutes in Maryland on Tuesday and he came off the bench as 10-man Madrid trailed Arsenal 2-0 at the interval.

    Madrid had Nacho Fernandez sent off for a handball in the ninth minute before Alexandre Lacazette and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang put Arsenal in control.

  • Lukaku 'ideal' for Conte's Inter – Zola Lukaku 'ideal' for Conte's Inter – Zola

    Manchester United striker Romelu Lukaku is an "ideal" signing for Antonio Conte's Inter, according to Gianfranco Zola.

    Inter head coach Conte has made no secret of his desire to sign Lukaku, who is at the centre of ongoing and, so far, fruitless negotiations between the Serie A side and United.

    Lukaku – contracted to the Red Devils until 2022 with the option of a further year after joining from Everton in a £75million deal in 2017 – has not played for United during their pre-season tour.

    Zola witnessed Lukaku firsthand during his time as Chelsea assistant last season and the Italian great talked up the Belgium striker's potential move to Milan.

    "Lukaku would make a big impact at Inter, as he has the ideal characteristics for Conte's football and has the kind of physicality from the Premier League that puts him a step above the rest in Serie A," he told FCInterNews.

    "Having said that, I believe the real strength at Inter will be Conte himself. He's really fired up after the Chelsea experience and then taking a year off. He'll want to transmit that determination to the squad.

    "We know how good Antonio is at transmitting grit, intensity and sporting aggression. I am sure Inter will be one of the principle antagonists to Juventus this season."

    Lukaku, who has acknowledged a desire to play in Italy and hinted his future could be away from Old Trafford with United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer preferring Marcus Rashford up front, scored 12 Premier League goals last season.

    The 26-year-old scored 15 goals across all competitions as United finished sixth in the Premier League and lost to Barcelona in the Champions League quarter-finals.

  • Stones ready to fight for Manchester City place Stones ready to fight for Manchester City place

    John Stones says he is ready to fight for his place at Manchester City after falling out of favour last term.

    Stones started 20 Premier League matches as Pep Guardiola's side retained the title.

    But in the closing weeks of a triumphant campaign, Stones had to watch from the sidelines as Guardiola instead entrusted his captain Vincent Kompany, who struck a vital late winner against Leicester City.

    Stones then looked rusty in international action for England as Gareth Southgate's side lost to Netherlands in the semi-finals before beating Switzerland to claim third place.

    Kompany's decision to join Anderlecht as player-manager could open the door for Stones to return to City's back line, though, especially as the Belgium international has not been replaced.

    "I took some time away in my holidays and reflected," Stones told reporters. "I've come back this season fighting for my chance to play again and put that right.

    "I'm sure I will because I've got that strong mindset of putting things right and being honest when you've done something wrong.

    "The last two months were frustrating, but any player not playing is frustrated. You have to respect the manager.

    "I wanted to come on and try to affect any game that I could when I came on, however many minutes I got.

    "It's about the team and not about John Stones or whoever else. That's why we won four trophies last season."

    City have added Rodri to a squad packed with talent and Stones is looking forward to the action starting again.

    "It's always non-stop. It's good to see new faces and obviously the club are wanting to move in the right direction, signing young players," he said.

    "We've got quite a young squad now. We've still got players to come back from the Copa America and Riyad [Mahrez] from winning the Africa Cup of Nations. The full squad is not back yet while we're out on pre-season.

    "That's something we've got to manage, with the new players coming and trying to settle and then more players coming back, trying to get to know them and how they play. It's an exciting time for us."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.