We are not a supermarket! - De Laurentiis accuses Inter of trying to 'dismantle' Napoli squad

By Sports Desk June 08, 2019

Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis has accused Serie A rivals Inter of attempting to "dismantle" his side by targeting their best players.

Inter are embarking on a new era after appointing Antonio Conte - a three-time title winner during his time at Juventus - as their head coach last week.

The fallen Italian giants clinched a fourth-place finish under Luciano Spalletti on the final day of the 2018-19 campaign and are expected to strengthen during the close-season to rival Napoli and Juve for the title.

But De Laurentiis has informed Inter and any other clubs circling that none of Napoli's star players are up for sale.

"My staff tells me that Inter wants to dismantle my team and have asked for my strongest players, but I have no intention of selling them - not Piotr Zielinski and not Lorenzo Insigne," he told Corriere dello Sport.

"Insigne could play in any of the big European teams, but right now he is with Napoli and he is happy. 

"We are not a supermarket - our players are not for sale unless we buy someone whom we think will make the team stronger. So many teams ask for our players, but they are not for sale.”

Napoli could come up against a familiar face next season as Maurizio Sarri has been linked with the vacant Juventus job, a year on from leaving the Stadio San Paolo.

"I don’t pay attention to the Sarri to Juventus rumours," De Laurentiis said. "I am completely detached from this affair. I think that once you turn 18 you are responsible for your own actions, that’s all."

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Man United tracking Tuchel as Barca also eye PSG boss Rumour Has It: Man United tracking Tuchel as Barca also eye PSG boss

    Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is at the wheel but for how long?

    After a blistering start to life at Manchester United, initially as interim manager, the Red Devils have struggled to convince.

    United have won two of their opening five games ahead of Sunday's trip to West Ham and Paris could be the location of a possible replacement…

     

    TOP STORY – UNITED AND BARCA BATTLE FOR TUCHEL

    Manchester United have sounded out Paris Saint-Germain head coach Thomas Tuchel, according to Le10 Sport.

    United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer signed a permanent three-year deal after initially replacing Jose Mourinho in December, but the Red Devils have been far from convincing following a brief upturn in results.

    United have reportedly informed Tuchel of their interest, though LaLiga champions Barcelona are also tracking the German as pressure mounts on Ernesto Valverde after Saturday's shock loss at Granada.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - According to the Sunday Express, Tottenham have identified Leicester City star James Maddison as a potential replacement for soon-to-be free agent Christian Eriksen. Maddison has also been heavily linked to Manchester United.

    United, meanwhile, have been told it will take £90million (€101m) to lure Germany star Kai Havertz from Bundesliga side Bayer Leverkusen, claims the Express. The 20-year-old is also attracting interest from Bayern Munich, Manchester City and Liverpool. As for United and their hopes of signing RB Salzburg star Erling Haaland, they could be scuppered by agent Mino Raiola. The 19-year-old made headlines with a hat-trick on his Champions League debut. However, United's relationship with Raiola could thwart their plans, writes The Sun.

    - The Mirror says Arsenal are keen to re-sign PSV's Donyell Malen, who left the Gunners two years ago. It could cost Arsenal up to £50m (€56m) to bring the 20-year-old back to London. Liverpool are also believed to be interested.

    - Marca reports that Real Madrid are keen to sign Rennes sensation Eduardo Camavinga. The 16-year-old has dazzled in Ligue 1 this season.

  • Valverde accepts responsibility for Barcelona's worst start in 25 years Valverde accepts responsibility for Barcelona's worst start in 25 years

    Ernesto Valverde admits he is to blame for Barcelona's poor form after Saturday's 2-0 loss at Granada confirmed their worst LaLiga start in 25 years.

    Barca went down to goals from Ramon Azeez and Alvaro Vadillo as the promoted side moved top of the table, with Valverde's men seventh after five games.

    Seven points is the fewest they have collected at this stage of the season since a difficult 1994-95 campaign under legendary coach Johan Cruyff.

    Valverde's team have failed to win any of their past seven away games in all competitions, a run that dates back to last season, with pressure growing on the coach.

    Although Valverde has led Barca to the title in each of his two full seasons in charge, they lost last term's Copa del Rey final to Valencia after crashing out of the Champions League in humiliating fashion against Liverpool.

    Questions about Valverde's future have been a constant background presence throughout his time at the club, and the coach accepts the blame for poor results must lie at his door.

    "In the end the actors are the players and the coach is responsible," he told a post-match news conference.

    "I feel responsible for what has happened. You can lose but when you lose you have to deserve to win - and today we have not deserved it.

    "Away from home we are not reaping good results. When it happens in four games it is already a symptom that we are not too well.

    "Today we have not been well. Away from home we are not playing good games. We are dominating but we do not translate it into goal situations. It is also true that the opponent is scoring the first goal."

    Valverde gave credit to Granada, who have won three LaLiga games in a row without conceding a goal.

    "Granada deserve a lot of credit and we have to recognise it," the coach added. "They have been intense, strong, they have troubled us a lot.

    "The first goal has put the game in their hands and they hit us when they hurt us the most. They have made their game and that we have not played well is to their credit."

  • Giampaolo bemoans hesitant Milan after derby defeat Giampaolo bemoans hesitant Milan after derby defeat

    Inter's greater experience was a key factor in their 2-0 Derby della Madonnina win, according to AC Milan head coach Marco Giampaolo. 

    Second-half goals from Marcelo Brozovic and Romelu Lukaku secured a deserved triumph for Antonio Conte's side, preserving their 100 per cent record and place at the top of Serie A. 

    Milan only threatened sporadically, managing a solitary shot on target through Krzysztof Piatek, while they were indebted to goalkeeper Gianluigi Donnarumma for averting a heavier margin of defeat. 

    The start of the Giampaolo era at San Siro now reads two wins, two defeats and two goals scored, and the former Sampdoria boss knows there is plenty of work to be done with a group of players he felt lacked composure under pressure. 

    "My analysis is that we started with some hesitancy, but after 15 minutes we settled," he told DAZN. 

    "Inter had something more in terms of experience, but we managed to fill that gap before half-time. 

    "I was not happy how we reacted in an emotional way to their goal. It was a messy reaction and the thing I liked least overall. 

    "Players were going into areas of the pitch they were not supposed to be in, so when losing the ball, we left gaps uncovered. I liked the courage to keep pushing forward but we lost our shape." 

    Giampaolo sprung a surprise by handing Portuguese youngster Rafael Leao a first Milan start and he felt the forward will have learned plenty from the experience of going up against the likes of Diego Godin in the Inter defence. 

    "I liked his performance. He has one-again-one speed, good pace and personality and I thought that could cause problems for the Inter defence," he explained. 

    "He must learn to stay in the game throughout. Diego Godin up against him is a different experience. The good thing is Leao is not a timid player." 

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.