Real Madrid complete signing of Chelsea star Hazard

By Sports Desk June 07, 2019

Eden Hazard has completed his highly anticipated move to Real Madrid from Chelsea.

The Spanish giants confirmed the signing of the Belgium international on a five-year deal on Friday.

Hazard has been a long-term target for Madrid and hinted after last year's World Cup he planned to leave Chelsea.

But the 28-year-old stayed at Stamford Bridge for another season, helping them to Europa League glory with a brace in the 4-1 final victory over Arsenal in Baku before revealing his intention to move on in the immediate aftermath.

The former Lille star won two Premier League titles and the Europa League twice with Chelsea, as well as an EFL Cup and FA Cup during his seven-year stint.

He joins Madrid as part of a squad overhaul by Zinedine Zidane that has already seen Rodrygo Goes, Eder Militao and Luka Jovic move to the Santiago Bernabeu.

Chelsea said the move is subject to Hazard passing a medical with Madrid but wished the forward well on his move.

Chelsea director Marina Granovskaia said: "Although it is with sadness we say goodbye to Eden and we made it absolutely clear to him the club wished him to stay, we respect the decision he has made to take on a new challenge in a different country and follow his childhood dream of playing for Real Madrid.

"The memories he leaves us with will not fade. He provided all who watched Chelsea play with great entertainment and many match-winning contributions, and for that we thank Eden enormously.

"He has been a model professional throughout his time at the club, a wonderful individual to have around and a joy to work with. We look forward to welcoming him back to Stamford Bridge in the future."

Related items

  • T&T need better opponents than Caribbean teams claims U-15 coach Fevrier T&T need better opponents than Caribbean teams claims U-15 coach Fevrier

    Trinidad and Tobago national under 15 team coach Stuart Charles Fevrier has called on the TTFA to secure more matches with Central American opponents in order to close the gap between the twin-island republic and CONCACAF’s top teams.

    The recently concluded TTFA Youth Invitational football tournament proved to be a chastening experience for the national team.  The young Trinidadians lost matches to Panama, Venezuela, and Mexico. 

    The match-up with the Panamanians was closely contested with T&T losing 5-4 by the odd goal, the team, however, went on to lose 4-0 and 4-1 to Venezuela and Mexico respectively.

    With the tournament serving as a warm-up for the CONCACAF Under-15 Championship in August, the gulf in quality has proven to be a concern.

    “We need to play more Central American and North American teams instead of Caribbean teams.  It’s not that we can’t play Caribbean teams, we are from the Caribbean region but I believe now we have to focus a lot more on the Central American and North American teams.  If we are to qualify for any major competition these are the teams we have to beat,” Fevrier said.

    “Playing against Caribbean teams is a lower level obviously because when you watched the level of football tonight (against Mexico) for me it was very high,” he added.

    “In the last 10 minutes they were still going, it was nothing for them.  They already have a professional mentality and our boys are still playing college football.”

  • Newcastle splash out on striker Joelinton for Bruce's first signing Newcastle splash out on striker Joelinton for Bruce's first signing

    Newcastle United have smashed their club transfer record to bring in striker Joelinton from Hoffenheim, boosting Steve Bruce's short-staffed front line.

    The Brazilian forward has signed a six-year deal at St James' Park and is said to have cost in the region of £40million (€44.6m).

    The transfer surpasses the £20.5m Newcastle spent to secure Miguel Almiron earlier this year, that fee having finally topped their long-standing record figure of £16.5m, paid for Michael Owen in 2005.

    Joelinton, 22, scored 11 goals in all competitions for Hoffenheim last term, starring after spending the previous two years out on loan at Rapid Vienna.

    "I’m really happy to be here," he told Newcastle's official website. "I know it's a large investment that the club has made in me and that comes with a huge responsibility.

    "I'm highly motivated and hope to give back on the pitch."

    Bruce, confirmed as Newcastle's new head coach last week, had earlier told the club's official website they were "working on" bringing in attacking players.

    "The kid’s got an exciting time ahead of him. He’s a smashing young player and we're obviously delighted to get him," Bruce said.

    "It's been going on for a little bit now, so to get him is great for everybody.

    "He's got everything that a modern-day player wants. He's big, strong and athletic, and of course he’s got age on his side too which is vitally important."

    Since the end of last season, the Magpies have seen Salomon Rondon go to Dalian Yifang after a productive spell on loan from West Brom, top scorer Ayoze Perez join Leicester City and fringe striker Joselu return to Spain with Deportivo Alaves.

    With Dwight Gayle out injured, Yoshinori Muto and teenager Elias Sorensen shared striking duties during last week's opening pre-season defeat to Wolves in the Premier League Asia Trophy.

    Muto then scored the only goal of the game against West Ham in Bruce's first win on Saturday.

  • BREAKING NEWS: Newcastle splash out on striker Joelinton for Bruce's first signing BREAKING NEWS: Newcastle splash out on striker Joelinton for Bruce's first signing

    Newcastle United have smashed their club transfer record to bring in striker Joelinton from Hoffenheim, boosting Steve Bruce's short-staffed front line.

    The Brazilian forward has signed a six-year deal at St James' Park and is said to have cost in the region of £40million (€44.6m) and £47.6m (€53m).

    The transfer surpasses the £20.5m Newcastle spent to secure Miguel Almiron earlier this year, that fee having finally topped their long-standing record figure of £16.5m, paid for Michael Owen in 2005.

     

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.