Napoli strengthen their defence by bringing in full-back

By Sports Desk June 07, 2019

Napoli have confirmed the signing of right-back Giovanni Di Lorenzo from Empoli.

The 25-year-old scored five goals - including the winner against the Serie A runners-up in April - in 37 league appearances in the 2018-19 season.

Di Lorenzo's move was made official on Friday with media reports in Italy suggesting he completed a medical last week.

"I'm happy about my new adventure at a prestigious club like Napoli," he told his new team's official website. "I can’t wait to start the new season and get to know my new team-mates."

Di Lorenzo - who represented Italy at under-21 level twice in 2013 - was unable to prevent Empoli from suffering relegation on the final day of the campaign.

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Real Madrid eyeing Pochettino, Sterling Rumour Has It: Real Madrid eyeing Pochettino, Sterling

    Real Madrid have set their sights on Mauricio Pochettino to be their next coach and they are also interested in a Premier League star, according to reports.

    Pochettino has regularly been linked with a move away from Tottenham, where he has impressed since taking charge in 2014.

    And the LaLiga giants are said to be eyeing the Argentinian amid pressure on Zinedine Zidane.

     

    TOP STORY – REAL MADRID EYEING POCHETTINO, STERLING

    Real Madrid are ready to make an approach for Pochettino, according to The Mirror.

    The Tottenham manager will be Madrid's top target if they decide to replace Zidane, the report says.

    Madrid eased the pressure on Zidane with a 1-0 win at Sevilla on Sunday, moving them level on points with LaLiga leaders Athletic Bilbao.

    Meanwhile, The Athletic reports Madrid met with Manchester City star Raheem Sterling's representatives during the off-season and the attacker is keen to play for the LaLiga giants one day, while the Premier League champions are confident the England international will stay.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - Manchester United have made a poor start to the season, but Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is set to get backing in January. The Daily Mail reports United will back Solskjaer if he wants to strengthen his team, who are eighth in the table.

    - Needing to bolster their defence, Juventus could make a move for Paris Saint-Germain full-back Thomas Meunier in January, according to Tuttosport. A deal could include midfielder Emre Can heading to Paris.

    - Previously linked with Manchester United, Sergej Milinkovic-Savic is set to renew his contract at Lazio, according to Il Messaggero. The deal, to be worth €3m per season, will reportedly be done by December.

    - Mario Mandzukic is still unsure about his future. Tuttosport reports clubs in Qatar are still trying to sign the Juventus striker, but the Croatian may instead wait for a move to the Premier League in January.

    - Italy youth international Sandro Tonali is catching the eye at Brescia. AC Milan and Manchester United are monitoring the 19-year-old midfielder, according to Calciomercato.

    - Staying at Milan, Calciomercato says the Serie A giants are still looking at PSV forward Donyell Malen. The 20-year-old Netherlands international has scored seven goals in six Eredivisie games this season.

  • Ronaldo posts philosophical message on Instagram after skipping FIFA awards Ronaldo posts philosophical message on Instagram after skipping FIFA awards

    Cristiano Ronaldo posted a philosophical message on Instagram after opting to skip the FIFA awards ceremony, where Lionel Messi was named the Best Men's Player.

    Ronaldo finished third behind Messi and Liverpool star Virgil van Dijk, but decided not to attend the ceremony in Milan on Monday.

    The 34-year-old has been ruled out of Juventus' Serie A clash against Brescia on Tuesday due to an adductor injury.

    After the awards ceremony, Ronaldo posted a philosophical message on Instagram.

    "Patience and persistence are two characteristics that differentiate the professional from the amateur," he wrote.

    "Everything that is big today has started small. You can't do everything, but do everything you can to make your dreams come true.

    "And keep in mind that after night always comes dawn."

    Ronaldo claimed the Best FIFA Men's Player award in 2016 and 2017 before finishing second to Luka Modric last year.

    The forward has scored two goals in five games this season for Juventus, who are second to Inter in the Serie A table.

  • Messi votes for Ronaldo, Portugal star snubs eventual FIFA Best award winner Messi votes for Ronaldo, Portugal star snubs eventual FIFA Best award winner

    Lionel Messi put Cristiano Ronaldo second in the Best FIFA Men's Player award voting, but the Portugal star did not return the favour to the eventual winner.

    Messi claimed the prize, rebranded in 2016, for the first time on Monday, beating Liverpool defender Virgil van Dijk and Ronaldo.

    But the votes made for interesting reading, with Ronaldo and Portugal coach Fernando Santos snubbing Messi.

    Ronaldo voted for Matthijs de Ligt, Frenkie de Jong and Kylian Mbappe, with Santos handing his to the former two and his star international captain.

    Messi, though, put Ronaldo second in his voting, in between Liverpool star Sadio Mane and De Jong.

    Argentina coach Lionel Scaloni decided on Messi, Mbappe and Mane in that order.

    As for Van Dijk, he put Messi first ahead of his team-mates Mohamed Salah and Mane, who helped Liverpool win the Champions League last season.

     

    Who voted for who?

    Lionel Messi: Sadio Mane, Cristiano Ronaldo, Frenkie de Jong.
    Virgil van Dijk: Lionel Messi, Mohamed Salah, Sadio Mane.
    Cristiano Ronaldo: Matthijs de Ligt, Frenkie de Jong, Kylian Mbappe.
    Fernando Santos: Cristiano Ronaldo, Frenkie de Jong, Matthijs de Ligt.
    Lionel Scaloni: Lionel Messi, Kylian Mbappe, Sadio Mane.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.