Perez: Ramos can't leave Madrid for CSL on free transfer

By Sports Desk May 27, 2019

Florentino Perez insisted Sergio Ramos will not leave Real Madrid on a free transfer after confirming the club's captain is considering a move to the Chinese Super League (CSL).

News emerged on Monday that Madrid star Ramos had reportedly requested permission to join a team in China after meeting with president Perez.

The 33-year-old centre-back was believed to be close to joining Premier League giants Manchester United in 2015 before extending his Madrid contract, which now runs until 2021.

Perez was asked about speculation over Ramos and the Madrid boss said he is not prepared to sanction a CSL deal that would see the defender leave on a free.

"They [Ramos and his advisors] came to see me in my office," Perez told Onda Cero's El Transistor.

"They mentioned that he might leave but without a transfer fee because transfer fees in China are very complicated.

"I told him that he can't leave and that we would be speaking to the Chinese club interested in signing him.

"It's impossible to let your captain leave for free, that would be setting a bad precedent."

Ramos has enjoyed great success at the Santiago Bernabeu since arriving from Sevilla in 2005, winning four LaLiga titles and four Champions League trophies among others.

The Spain international scored six goals in 28 LaLiga appearances as Madrid finished third last season, while he played 40 matches in all competitions, with the club's Champions League title defence ending in the last 16.

Related items

  • Zidane introduces Madrid outcast Bale at half-time against Arsenal Zidane introduces Madrid outcast Bale at half-time against Arsenal

    Real Madrid outcast Gareth Bale was introduced by Zinedine Zidane at half-time in the International Champions Cup clash with Arsenal.

    Bale has been tipped for an imminent departure from Madrid after he was left out of the squad for last week's defeat to Bayern Munich.

    Zidane confirmed Bale was close to leaving the Santiago Bernabeu, with the Madrid boss determined to sell the Wales international sooner rather than later.

    Bale – linked to the Chinese Super League – was among the substitutes in Maryland on Tuesday and he came off the bench as 10-man Madrid trailed Arsenal 2-0 at the interval.

    Madrid had Nacho Fernandez sent off for a handball in the ninth minute before Alexandre Lacazette and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang put Arsenal in control.

  • Messi banned, fined for Copa America red card Messi banned, fined for Copa America red card

    Lionel Messi has been handed a ban and fine after his red card during Argentina's Copa America win over Chile in the third-place play-off.

    Messi, 32, will serve a one-match suspension after his altercation with Gary Medel, also sent off, during Argentina's 2-1 victory earlier this month.

    In a statement on Tuesday, CONMEBOL also confirmed the Barcelona star had been fined $1,500, with no appeal possible.

    The single judge of the disciplinary tribunal confirmed "the automatic suspension imposed on the player Lionel Andres Messi, not agreeing on any additional suspension" while imposing the $1,500 fine.

    Messi, controversially sent off, railed against "corruption" and "a lack of respect" following his red card.

    His statements angered the governing body, which hit back at what it felt were "unfounded accusations".

  • Lukaku 'ideal' for Conte's Inter – Zola Lukaku 'ideal' for Conte's Inter – Zola

    Manchester United striker Romelu Lukaku is an "ideal" signing for Antonio Conte's Inter, according to Gianfranco Zola.

    Inter head coach Conte has made no secret of his desire to sign Lukaku, who is at the centre of ongoing and, so far, fruitless negotiations between the Serie A side and United.

    Lukaku – contracted to the Red Devils until 2022 with the option of a further year after joining from Everton in a £75million deal in 2017 – has not played for United during their pre-season tour.

    Zola witnessed Lukaku firsthand during his time as Chelsea assistant last season and the Italian great talked up the Belgium striker's potential move to Milan.

    "Lukaku would make a big impact at Inter, as he has the ideal characteristics for Conte's football and has the kind of physicality from the Premier League that puts him a step above the rest in Serie A," he told FCInterNews.

    "Having said that, I believe the real strength at Inter will be Conte himself. He's really fired up after the Chelsea experience and then taking a year off. He'll want to transmit that determination to the squad.

    "We know how good Antonio is at transmitting grit, intensity and sporting aggression. I am sure Inter will be one of the principle antagonists to Juventus this season."

    Lukaku, who has acknowledged a desire to play in Italy and hinted his future could be away from Old Trafford with United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer preferring Marcus Rashford up front, scored 12 Premier League goals last season.

    The 26-year-old scored 15 goals across all competitions as United finished sixth in the Premier League and lost to Barcelona in the Champions League quarter-finals.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.