WBA heavyweight title fight to headline Gloves over Guns card in Jamaica

By May 24, 2019
Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • What can we expect from Yohan Blake in Doha in September? What can we expect from Yohan Blake in Doha in September?
  • Hearn: Ruiz contractually obliged to fight Joshua in Riyadh Hearn: Ruiz contractually obliged to fight Joshua in Riyadh

    Eddie Hearn says the heavyweight rematch between Andy Ruiz Jr and Anthony Joshua will take place in Saudi Arabia despite the champion declaring it would be staged in the United States.

    Matchroom Boxing last week announced the pair will step into the ring to do battle for a second time in Riyadh on December 7 after Ruiz refused to fight in the United Kingdom.

    Yet Ruiz stated in a social-media Q+A that he would not be defending his IBF, WBA and WBO titles in the Middle East.

    Hearn, Joshua's promoter, responded by stating that the Mexican will be heading to Saudi Arabia.

    "The contract for the rematch was signed prior to the first fight," Hearn told Sky Sports. "They are both signed at the same time. There is no other contract.

    "We have to let [Ruiz Jr] know the time, date and venue which we have done. That's it.

    "They are contractually bound for the rematch. There are no conversations between the two teams about not doing the fight. I don't perceive a problem.

    "He signed a contract with us that he was absolutely over the moon with, that gave him the opportunity of a lifetime. He will 100 per cent honour that contract.

    "His choice is to have a legal battle that could put him out of boxing for years, or to defend his belts for a lot of money against a guy he has already beaten. There isn't any doubt he will take the fight."

  • Wallin warns Fury has 'everything to lose' in Las Vegas Wallin warns Fury has 'everything to lose' in Las Vegas

    The undefeated Otto Wallin has warned Tyson Fury he is ready to grab his opportunity "with both hands" when they fight in Las Vegas next month and the Briton has "everything to lose".

    It was confirmed on Tuesday that Fury will return to the T-Mobile Arena for a heavyweight battle with Swede Wallin on September 14.

    Former world champion Fury already has his eye on a fight on home soil in December after stepping into the ring with Wallin, before a rematch with Deontay Wilder next year.

    Wallin (20-0) knows Fury will be a firm favourite, but says he will be in for a rude awakening in Nevada.

    The 28-year-old said: "This is the type of fight I've been waiting for since I was a kid and my father started showing me some boxing moves in our kitchen.

    "I've made a lot of sacrifices to get to this point, and I'm very happy it's starting to pay off. I want to thank my team and my supporters for making this happen.

    "I know I'm an underdog in this fight, but I'm ready for this opportunity and I'm going to grab it with both hands. Anybody can get beat and especially in the heavyweight division.

    "I like the fact that I have everything to gain and Tyson has everything to lose."

    Fury, who has a professional record of 28 wins and a draw, brutally knocked out Tom Schwarz at the same venue in June.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.