Kroos agrees Real Madrid extension to 2023

By Sports Desk May 20, 2019

Toni Kroos has agreed to extend his contract with Real Madrid to 2023, the LaLiga club have confirmed.

The midfielder's future at Madrid had been in doubt with head coach Zinedine Zidane last month refusing to confirm the Germany international would stay amid an expected squad overhaul.

But Kroos hit out at reports in the Spanish press that said he was seeking a move away, describing the news as "absolutely false information" on Twitter.

And the 29-year-old, who joined from Bayern Munich in 2014, has now agreed a new four-year contract that will keep him at the club until 2023. His previous deal was due to expire in 2022.

Kroos has appeared in 28 LaLiga games this season and was a key part of the side that won three consecutive Champions League titles in Zidane's first spell at the Santiago Bernabeu.

He also helped Germany to clinch the World Cup in 2014 and has won four league titles and five Club World Cups across his career to date.

Madrid wrapped up their underwhelming LaLiga campaign with a 2-0 loss at home to Real Betis on Sunday.

It is expected to be a close-season of upheaval in the Spanish capital as Madrid look to improve after finishing third in the league, 19 points behind rivals Barcelona, who retained their title.

Long-serving goalkeeper Keylor Navas will go, Marcelo and Isco could follow while the future of Gareth Bale remains uncertain.

Porto defender Eder Militao has already agreed to join ahead of the 2019-20 season while reports in Germany have claimed a deal for Eintracht Frankfurt striker Luka Jovic is close.

Paul Pogba and Neymar are among the names linked with Madrid while Kylian Mbappe's shock announcement he could leave Paris Saint-Germain may place him in Zidane's sights.

Related items

  • Zidane introduces Madrid outcast Bale at half-time against Arsenal Zidane introduces Madrid outcast Bale at half-time against Arsenal

    Real Madrid outcast Gareth Bale was introduced by Zinedine Zidane at half-time in the International Champions Cup clash with Arsenal.

    Bale has been tipped for an imminent departure from Madrid after he was left out of the squad for last week's defeat to Bayern Munich.

    Zidane confirmed Bale was close to leaving the Santiago Bernabeu, with the Madrid boss determined to sell the Wales international sooner rather than later.

    Bale – linked to the Chinese Super League – was among the substitutes in Maryland on Tuesday and he came off the bench as 10-man Madrid trailed Arsenal 2-0 at the interval.

    Madrid had Nacho Fernandez sent off for a handball in the ninth minute before Alexandre Lacazette and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang put Arsenal in control.

  • Messi banned, fined for Copa America red card Messi banned, fined for Copa America red card

    Lionel Messi has been handed a ban and fine after his red card during Argentina's Copa America win over Chile in the third-place play-off.

    Messi, 32, will serve a one-match suspension after his altercation with Gary Medel, also sent off, during Argentina's 2-1 victory earlier this month.

    In a statement on Tuesday, CONMEBOL also confirmed the Barcelona star had been fined $1,500, with no appeal possible.

    The single judge of the disciplinary tribunal confirmed "the automatic suspension imposed on the player Lionel Andres Messi, not agreeing on any additional suspension" while imposing the $1,500 fine.

    Messi, controversially sent off, railed against "corruption" and "a lack of respect" following his red card.

    His statements angered the governing body, which hit back at what it felt were "unfounded accusations".

  • Klopp: Liverpool still searching in transfer market but cannot spend crazy money Klopp: Liverpool still searching in transfer market but cannot spend crazy money

    Jurgen Klopp says Liverpool are still working on making new signings but are unable to spend "crazy money" on arrivals.

    Liverpool invested heavily in their squad during 2018 by signing Virgil van Dijk, Alisson, Naby Keita, Fabinho and Xherdan Shaqiri.

    Ahead of the 2019-20 season, though, the Reds have only brought in teenage defender Sepp van den Berg from PEC Zwolle.

    Lille forward Nicolas Pepe is reportedly a transfer target for the Anfield club as they seek reinforcements after winning last season's Champions League but Klopp indicated it might not be possible to strengthen his squad.

    "It's not easy," Klopp told the Liverpool Echo. "I said last year that to improve the team is not easy with reasonable money. With crazy money, you always can do it – okay, you pay whatever you want, then it's possible.

    "We are not a club like that. We cannot do that. We are really wealthy but we cannot do what some other teams are doing. That's how it is.

    "But we don't have to. We have to find solutions during the season. Yes, you find sometimes the solution in the transfer market and we have done that. I don't have to name the players, everybody knows. But otherwise you have to find the solutions on the training ground and that's what we do now.

    "We are still looking, but it will not be the [biggest] transfer window of LFC. It just will be a transfer window. We will see what we do, and if we haven't done anything by the end it will be for different reasons.

    "It's about using this team. In the transfer window, you have to build a team that you think you want to go into the season with. But I have that team already. If we can bring somebody else in that makes it even better, we will see. But if not, this team is already there. And again we will have to find solutions at different moments."

    Liverpool also confirmed the injury sustained by Yasser Larouci in a feisty pre-season friendly against Sevilla is not thought to be serious.

    Larouci was caught by a wild tackle from defender Joris Gnagnon, who was sent off for the challenge and later apologised on social media.

    A Liverpool statement said: "Larouci has suffered heavy bruising in his femur bone and the club's medical team will continue to monitor the injury as it settles. However, the Reds are optimistic the 18-year-old will only be ruled out for no more than a matter of weeks."

    Liverpool continue their preparations for the new Premier League season by taking on Sporting CP at Yankee Stadium on Wednesday.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.