Fabregas departs Chelsea for Monaco

By Sports Desk January 11, 2019

Monaco have agreed a deal with Chelsea to bring Spain midfielder Cesc Fabregas to Ligue 1.

The 31-year-old had been out of favour at Stamford Bridge this season and, with his contract expiring in June, has departed for the French top flight on a three-and-a-half-year contract.

Fabregas joined Chelsea from Barcelona in 2014 and had initially been a key player for Jose Mourinho and Antonio Conte, winning the Premier League title under both.

However, Maurizio Sarri's arrival ahead of 2018-19 effectively spelled the end of Fabregas' Chelsea career, as the Italian brought in his former Napoli midfielder Jorginho, who instantly took the Spaniard's position.

The transfer brings Fabregas' long association with English football to an end, at least for the time being, having played 501 times for Arsenal and Chelsea.

"It is a great pleasure to join AS Monaco, a new project for me," said Fabregas. "The group is of quality with young players and a young coach. 

"I'm here to help the team, I'm looking forward to starting, we have a great match to play in Marseille on Sunday. I am very excited."

Fabregas' move also sees him reunite with former Gunners team-mate Thierry Henry.

Henry spoke at a news conference on Monday confirming his interest in Fabregas, whom he claims to have spoken to "three times a week since 2007" when the Frenchman left Arsenal for Barca.

Vice-president Vadim Vasilyev added: "We are very pleased to welcome to AS Monaco Cesc Fabregas, a world-class player and a great professional, whose arrival demonstrates the ambition of the club. 

"This is obviously a very good technical reinforcement for the team but we are convinced that his experience at the highest level will bring a lot to our players on and off the field."

Monaco will hope Fabregas' signing can provide the necessary spark to help them avoid the drop.

Henry's side are second from bottom in Ligue 1 and five points adrift of safety after an abysmal start to the season which has seen them win just three times in 18 matches.

Related items

  • Guardiola demands improvement after Man City win Guardiola demands improvement after Man City win

    Pep Guardiola warned Manchester City to up their performance levels after a 3-0 win over Premier League basement boys Huddersfield Town.

    City held a 1-0 lead at half-time thanks to Danilo's deflected drive, with Leroy Sane later telling Sky Sports that Guardiola "woke us up" at the interval.

    The Germany winger was particularly receptive to his manager's words – crossing for Raheem Sterling to covert a diving header before himself getting on the scoresheet.

    Speaking at his post-match news conference, Guardiola's satisfaction did not extend too far beyond the fact his reigning champions were back to within four points of league leaders Liverpool.

    "Today we are happy but after that we have to analyse what we have done, and if we want to win in future we will have to play better," he said.

    "The way we played, we didn't deserve more than three goals.

    "We will improve in the future. We have to demand more from ourselves in every game and do our best, but sometimes it's difficult. They defended deep and man to man.

    "In the second half we were better, especially the first 15. Our rhythm was not quick enough in the first half, but we would take that result.

    "I am honest with them and tell them all the time what I feel.

    "We have to try and find the reason why we didn't play quicker or better.

    "After what these guys have done in 16, 17 months, it can't be lack of intensity or not wanting to run.

    "We didn't make passes in a row, we had to move it quicker. We spoke about what we should do in the second half."

    Improvements should certainly be forthcoming from two of Guardiola's key players after Kevin De Bruyne completed 90 minutes for the first time in an injury-hit Premier League season, while Sergio Aguero was back in the starting line-up following a bout of illness.

    "Kevin played 90 minutes, that is good news. When you are a long time injured you need the rhythm," the former Barcelona boss added.

    "Sergio was sick, and he needs time, too. They are incredible players but they need rhythm."

    Next up, City have the formality of defending a 9-0 lead in the second leg of their EFL Cup semi-final against Burton Albion before an FA Cup fourth-round showdown at home to Burnley next weekend.

    Liverpool, by contrast, can rest up until hosting Leicester City on January 30.

    Guardiola, who confirmed record signing Riyad Mahrez was not injured despite being omitted from his matchday 18, added: "I would rather be in Liverpool’s position. All we can do is win our games. Improve, analyse our games and try to improve.

    "I cannot answer about Liverpool in every press conference. Now we have the EFL Cup. We will see."

  • Alonso accepts Chelsea guilty of 'silly mistakes' in Arsenal defeat Alonso accepts Chelsea guilty of 'silly mistakes' in Arsenal defeat

    Marcos Alonso accepted Chelsea were guilty of making "silly mistakes" in Saturday's 2-0 defeat to London rivals Arsenal.

  • Guardiola woke us up - Sane reveals half-time rocket for Man City Guardiola woke us up - Sane reveals half-time rocket for Man City

    Leroy Sane claimed Manchester City were given a wake-up call by Pep Guardiola at half-time during their 3-0 Premier League win over Huddersfield Town.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.