Sevilla's Joris Gnagnon issued an apology to Yasser Larouci after his horrendous challenge left the Liverpool youngster on a stretcher.

Sevilla defeated Liverpool 2-1 in Sunday's pre-season friendly in Boston, where the fixture was overshadowed by Gnagnon's shocking tackle on Larouci.

Gnagnon – a second-half substitute – was shown a straight red card with 14 minutes remaining after wildly kicking out at Larouci, who required lengthy treatment before the 18-year-old was taken away on a stretcher.

Amid fierce backlash, Sevilla defender Gnagnon apologised to Larouci and Liverpool post-match.

"I would like to publicly apologise to Liverpool, the family of the player and the supporters," Gnagnon wrote in a statement posted to Twitter.

"It was a heinous act on my part for whatever reason and should not be seen on a football field. All my prayers are with the player and the family."

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp provided an update on Larouci, who left Fenway Park in worrying scenes.

"[It's] much too early in the season to create headlines with saying the things I think about the situation," Klopp told reporters after Liverpool succumbed to Alejandro Pozo's 90th-minute winner.

"Let me say how the situation is with Yasser; it looks like he was lucky but, of course, how it always is with these things we have to wait a little bit. He couldn't keep on playing, so that's the first not-so-good sign but in the dressing room it was OK."

Klopp added: "He hit him full throttle and, in that moment, [if it was] a little bit different position where he hit him then it's done. He rolls… he is a sports boy so that was OK, nothing happened there.

"I don't know 100 per cent. It looks like he was lucky but I only spoke quickly to the doc and that's what he said, but we have to see."

Liverpool's friendly against Sevilla was marred by a shocking challenge on Yasser Larouci that forced the Reds youngster to leave the field on a stretcher in Boston.

Jurgen Klopp's Liverpool suffered a late 2-1 loss to Sevilla, but Sunday's result was overshadowed by Joris Gnagnon's horrendous tackle on Larouci.

In a feisty game at Fenway Park, Sevilla substitute Gnagnon was shown a straight red card with 14 minutes remaining after wildly kicking out at Larouci.

Larouci required lengthy treatment before the 18-year-old was taken away on a stretcher as tempers flared in the United States.

Despite Sevilla's numerical disadvantage, Julen Lopetegui's LaLiga side were victorious thanks to Alejandro Pozo's 90th-minute winner.

It came after Divock Origi had cancelled out Nolito's opener on the stroke of half-time with an emphatic close-range finish.

Sevilla have continued their close-season spending spree by completing the reported €12million signing of former Spain Under-21 midfielder Oliver Torres from Porto on a five-year deal.

Torres, 24, came through the ranks at Atletico Madrid and showed real promise in his early days before Porto signed him for an apparent €20m fee in 2017, having had two successful loan spells at the club.

The first of Torres' loan stays saw him coached by new Sevilla boss Julen Lopetegui, who had also worked with the playmaker while in charge of the Under-19, Under-20 and Under-21 sides in the Spain setup.

Torres struggled to hold down a first-team spot at Porto across the last two seasons, however, starting a total of 21 Primeira Liga games.

It is thought the technically gifted midfielder will stand a better chance of fulfilling his potential under a coach he has previously excelled with, and he will be expected to offer competition for Ever Banega and Franco Vazquez.

Torres' signing takes Sevilla's spending to a reported €123m this close-season, with returning sporting director Monchi overseeing a massive overhaul of a squad deemed to have underperformed in the past two campaigns.

The Atletico academy product joins Jules Kounde, Munas Dabbur, Diego Carlos, Lucas Ocampos, Joan Jordan, Luuk de Jong, Fernando and Sergio Reguilon in joining the club, while Maximilian Wober also had his loan made permanent.

Further arrivals are expected at the Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan, with Monchi said to be open to losing almost every player from last season's squad, with the exceptions of Bryan Gil, Jesus Navas, Daniel Carrico, Sergio Escudero and Munir El Haddadi.

After Antoine Griezmann's long-awaited move to Barcelona, another transfer saga appears close to completion.

Leicester City and England centre-back Harry Maguire is reportedly poised for Manchester.

The red half will be happy…

 

TOP STORY – UNITED AGREE £80M DEAL FOR MAGUIRE

Manchester United have agreed to pay a world-record fee for a defender to sign Maguire from Leicester City, according to The Sun.

United will reportedly fork out £60million with an additional £20m available in add-ons, to see the England centre-back surpass Liverpool's Virgil van Dijk as the most expensive defender.

Premier League champions Manchester City were also linked to Maguire, however, United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer looks set to get his man as he overhauls the Red Devils' defence following last season's sixth-place finish.

 

ROUND-UP

Ajax captain Matthijs de Ligt will complete his transfer to Juventus by Monday, Gazzetta dello Sport says. Gianluca Di Marzio, meanwhile, reports that a medical should take place on Tuesday.

- Paris Saint-Germain are set to sign Borussia Dortmund defender Abdou Diallo, according to ESPN FC. The Ligue 1 champions will pay €32m for the France Under-21 international, who only joined Dortmund from Mainz in 2018.

- Tuttosport reports Torino have rejected a €60m offer from West Ham for star striker Andrea Belotti. The Hammers are desperate to sign a forward following Marko Arnautovic's move to China.

- Scottish champions Celtic have rejected Arsenal's latest bid – believed to be £25m – for left-back Kieran Tierney, according to Sky Sports.

Neymar's future with Paris Saint-Germain could be decided in talks in Paris this week, the Daily Mail says. The Brazil star has been linked with a stunning return to LaLiga holders Barcelona.

- According to L'Equipe, Spanish trio Real Betis, Sevilla and Valencia are all interested in signing Lyon captain Nabil Fekir.

Flamengo are looking to sign Atletico Madrid striker Diego Costa, according to ESPN Brazil. The former Chelsea star has also been linked to Premier League duo Everton and Wolves.

- According to Marca, Tottenham and AC Milan target Dani Ceballos could be set to stay at Real Madrid. The LaLiga giants feel they cannot find better players than Ceballos at a reasonable price.

Sevilla's busy transfer window has continued with the permanent signing of former Manchester City midfielder Fernando from Galatasaray.

Fernando spent two years in Istanbul after being discarded by City and the 31-year-old will reportedly cost Sevilla €4.5million, signing a three-year contract.

According to reports, Galatasaray were reticent to sell the Brazilian, but ultimately caved after Sevilla sporting director Monchi met the midfielder's agent Jorge Mendes, with the Turkish giants said to have reportedly owed Fernando part of his salary.

Fernando is the eighth new face to arrive at Sevilla in a busy transfer window, following Munas Dabbur, Jules Kounde, Diego Carlos, Lucas Ocampos, Joan Jordan, Luuk de Jong and Sergio Reguilon, while Maximilian Wober's loan from Ajax also became permanent.

There are likely to be further arrivals as well, while Sergio Rico, Sergi Gomez, Simon Kjaer, Joris Gnagnon, Guilherme Arana, Sebastien Corchia, Roque Mesa, Aleix Vidal, Ibrahim Amadou and Nolito could be sold.

Sevilla finished sixth in LaLiga last term, qualifying for the Europa League, a competition they have won a record five times.

Paris Saint-Germain have completed the signing of Pablo Sarabia from Sevilla on a five-year deal.

The Ligue 1 champions triggered the reported €18million release clause in the 27-year-old's contract earlier this week and he officially became a PSG player on Friday.

Sarabia is coming off the back of an impressive campaign with Sevilla that saw him score 12 goals and assist a further 13 in LaLiga.

He is reported to have turned down the offer of a new contract at the Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan, leading to speculation over his future.

And he has now joined Ander Herrera in signing for PSG by putting pen to paper on a contract that will run to the end of the 2023-24 campaign.

"I’m really excited to sign for Paris Saint-Germain," he told the club's official website. "After eight seasons in LaLiga, [joining] PSG now gives me the opportunity to take a very important step in my career. 

"The club has gained an impressive international reputation in recent years and I am honoured to be part of PSG’s next major challenge, in France and in Europe. I am now looking forward to starting this adventure with this talented and ambitious team."

Sarabia came through Real Madrid's academy ranks but failed to make the grade at the Santiago Bernabeu.

Real Madrid youngster Sergio Reguilon has left Santiago Bernabeu to join Sevilla on a season-long loan, the LaLiga clubs have confirmed.

Reguilon made his Los Blancos breakthrough last season, coming into the first team under Santiago Solari, who preferred the youngster over Marcelo.

The 22-year-old struggled for game time after Zinedine Zidane's return as head coach, however, making two LaLiga appearances following Solari's departure.

Madrid spent big in June to bring in Ferland Mendy from Lyon for an initial €48million, a move that seemed likely to further limit Reguilon's chances of regular football next season.

And Sevilla have taken advantage, signing the full-back on loan for the 2019-20 campaign.

Reguilon will link up with former Madrid coach Julen Lopetegui in Seville and becomes the club's eighth signing of the transfer window.

However, Wissam Ben Yedder continues to be linked with a move away from Sevilla, with the France forward reportedly a target for Manchester United should they sell Romelu Lukaku.

Sevilla's sporting director Monchi, however, said on Friday that Sevilla are yet to receive any offers for the 28-year-old, who hit 18 LaLiga goals last season.

"There's nothing new. He has one week left of holiday and will report for pre-season on the 13th [of July] to travel to the United States," he told reporters.

"From then on, the [transfer] market is open and there are possibilities for any player of our squad. As of today, no offer has arrived."

Sevilla have made Lucas Ocampos their seventh permanent arrival of the close season, the winger joining for a reported €15million fee from Marseille.

Ocampos signed for Marseille in 2015 and, after a difficult first few years – including loans to Genoa and AC Milan – he settled to become a key player.

Offering a mix of craft, work-rate and pace, the 24-year-old was one of few Marseille players to come away from the 2018-19 campaign with his reputation intact and he has signed a five-year contract at the Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan.

He joins Sevilla in a state of flux, with Luuk de Jong, Joan Jordan, Diego Carlos, Munas Dabbur and Jules Kounde all recent arrivals, while Maximilian Wober's loan from Ajax became permanent.

Sevilla have also been busy arranging departures: Gabriel Mercado, Pablo Sarabia, Quincy Promes and Luis Muriel have all moved on, while Simon Kjaer, Aleix Vidal, Roque Mesa, Joris Gnagnon, Ibrahim Amadou, Guilherme Arana and Wissam Ben Yedder have been heavily linked with the exit.

Sevilla have completed their sixth signing of the close season by bringing in Jules Kounde from Bordeaux in a deal reportedly worth €25million.

The centre-back impressed in his second season as a first-team player at Bordeaux, helping the club to a 14th-place finish in Ligue 1 in 2018-19 and starting in all but one of their top-flight fixtures.

His arrival at the Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan is expected to take Sevilla's close-season spending to over €90million as the club build a squad they hope will improve on last season's sixth-place finish in LaLiga.

Kounde will compete for places with fellow arrivals Diego Carlos and Maximilian Wober in new coach Julen Lopetegui's starting line-up, although he can also play at right-back.

Sevilla have also signed Munas Dabbur, Joan Jordan and Luuk de Jong ahead of the new season, while Pablo Sarabia, Quincy Promes, Luis Muriel and Gabriel Mercado have all left the club.

First-choice centre-back Simon Kjaer is reportedly on his way out, with Fenerbahce favourites to win the race for his signature.

Jose Antonio Reyes has died in a traffic accident at the age of 35, former club Sevilla have confirmed.

Reyes most recently played for Extremadura in Spain's second tier, representing them nine times in the second half of this season.

A former Spain international, Reyes came through Sevilla's academy having grown up in the town of Utrera, a few miles east of Andalusia's capital.

He broke into Sevilla's first-team as a teenager before earning himself a big-money move to Arsenal in 2004, staying there for three years.

A mercurial, talented winger, Reyes went on to feature for Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid and Benfica, before returning to his boyhood club in 2011 for a five-year spell.

Reyes remains the youngest player to ever represent Sevilla in LaLiga, having made his debut at the age of 16 years, four months and 29 days in January 2000.

Although he never won a trophy with Sevilla during his first spell, he went on to play a key role in their three successive Europa League triumphs between 2014 and 2016, before departing for Espanyol.

Lionel Messi has fractured his arm and will be unavailable for next weekend's Clasico against Real Madrid, Barcelona have confirmed. 

Page 3 of 3
© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.