EPL

Nuno yet to discuss transfer controversy with absent Kane

By Sports Desk August 04, 2021

Nuno Espirito Santo says he has not yet had the chance to speak to the absent Harry Kane amid continuing speculation of a move to Manchester City for the England captain.

Kane angered Tottenham with his failure to report back on the first day of pre-season training on Monday and subsequent no-show on Tuesday, too, as he attempted to seemingly force a move north to the 2020-21 Premier League champions.

After Spurs drew 2-2 with Chelsea on Wednesday without their talisman, who scored 23 Premier goals last term to earn the Golden Boot award, Nuno explained his position on the transfer saga.

"It is not that I don't want to comment, what I believe that all the issues relating to Harry we should discuss internally, among us and try to avoid any kind of public argument or discussion about it," he said.

"All pre-season for all clubs has been hard in terms of preparation, I know this is a different aspect. I know it is different circumstances but it has been very hard for everybody.

"Anything in relation to Harry is internal so first of all we have to solve the problems ourselves and then I will speak with you. We have to solve the situation but between us."

The new Spurs boss made his stance clear at Tuesday's news conference as he expressed his desire to work with the 28-year-old, though he has not yet had contact with the three-time Golden Boot winner.

"I expect to speak with Harry soon, I didn't get the chance yet," Nuno continued, reaffirming that Kane remains part of his plans despite the England forward's contrasting intentions.

While Nuno's side attempt to stave off any interest and make peace with their captain, they have brought in Bryan Gill, loaned Pierluigi Gollini and are edging closer to the signing of Atalanta's Cristian Romero.

Kane's potential transfer may have hit a roadblock, however, as Pep Guardiola's side seem set to confirm the signing of Jack Grealish for a reported record-breaking £100m imminently.

Whether that would leave enough in the kitty for the forward remains to be unseen, though Spurs will be hoping they can still call upon Kane and, more importantly, do not have to face him when the two teams meet in the Premier League opener on August 15.

Related items

  • Man Utd captain Maguire follows Shaw off with injury against Villa Man Utd captain Maguire follows Shaw off with injury against Villa

    Manchester United captain Harry Maguire was substituted with an apparent ankle injury in the second half of Saturday's game against Aston Villa.

    Maguire was replaced by Victor Lindelof 23 minutes from time at Old Trafford, having attempted to play on.

    He had early received treatment after taking a kick from Danny Ings in a tangle in the United area. Villa appealed for a penalty, but Ollie Watkins was flagged for offside earlier in the move.

    Maguire's defensive colleague Luke Shaw was substituted in the first half after pulling up.

    The two injuries could represent major blows to United ahead of a big week in which they will aim to get their Champions League campaign back on track at home to Villarreal.

  • Koeman warns Barca must be patient as Fati returns from injury lay-off Koeman warns Barca must be patient as Fati returns from injury lay-off

    Ronald Koeman called for caution over Ansu Fati's return to action after the youngster was included in Barcelona's squad for the first time in 10 months.

    Fati has not played for Barca in 322 days, after he suffered a serious knee injury in November 2020.

    The 18-year-old, who has taken the number 10 shirt vacated by Lionel Messi, has undergone three operations and only returned to training last month.

    However, Fati has been called into Barca's 20-man squad for Sunday's home game against Levante, a team he has scored two goals against in two matches. He has only netted more times against Villarreal (three) in LaLiga.

    Fati became the youngest goalscorer in Barcelona's history when he netted against Osasuna in August 2019 aged 16 years and 304 days and has since added a further 12 goals to his tally, but Koeman says the Spain international will need more time to recover full fitness.

    "It's really important to have Fati back, for himself because he has been out injured for many months," Koeman told a news conference.

    "We have a plan to recover him, to get him in his best shape, so he will have to get minutes little by little and the plan is that he will play around 15 minutes maximum [on Sunday].

    "There is a long way to go before he is as sharp as he has been. He does not recover in two games or in two weeks. We have to help him. The most important thing is that he recovers.

    "It depends on his state. We are talking about a young man who will give us a lot of quality, but little by little."

    Koeman's future at Barcelona is far from certain. His position seems a precarious one, given president Joan Laporta is reportedly searching out replacements, with Belgium coach Roberto Martinez a rumoured target.

    Barca have been held to draws by Granada and Cadiz in the last two games, with Koeman seeing red in the latter match.

    "I have to learn from this. Be calmer. Think about the team and the game," Koeman said. "I am also human and there are moments in games where it is difficult to accept decisions."

    As for his future, Koeman said: "I can't say much about this issue because I haven't been reading the press for a long time.

    "I know the rumours out there, but all we have to do is win games. There are rumours, names. I'm not going to waste energy on things I can't control.

    "The president can speak, he is the most important man at the club. I have no problem. I am involved in my job, I have to win games. The rest does not interest me."

    Koeman also explained he believes he has the backing of the dressing room.

    "Every player and every coach wants to win titles and games," he said.

    "There are no differences on this issue because I have spoken with them. In general, the players agree. That is the important thing. In that sense, there are no differences of opinions between them and me."

  • Ansu Fati back in Barcelona squad after 10 months out with knee injury Ansu Fati back in Barcelona squad after 10 months out with knee injury

    Ansu Fati is back in the Barcelona squad after spending 10 months out of action due to a knee injury.

    The 18-year-old has been included in Ronald Koeman's 20-man group for the LaLiga game at home to Levante on Sunday.

    Fati has not played for the Catalans in 322 days, having torn the meniscus in his left knee during a 5-2 win over Real Betis last November.

    The winger, who underwent three operations, only returned to training in August.

    Sunday's game at Camp Nou will offer Fati the chance to make his first competitive appearance since inheriting the number 10 shirt from Lionel Messi, who left the club at the end of his contract before signing for Paris Saint-Germain ahead of this season.

    Fati has scored two goals in his two matches against Levante in LaLiga, only netting more against Villarreal (three) in the competition.

    He became the youngest goalscorer in Barca's history when he scored against Osasuna in August 2019 aged 16 years and 304 days.

    Fati has since added a further 12 goals in 42 appearances across all competitions for the Blaugrana, whom he joined at the age of 10.

    The Guinea-Bissau-born youngster has been capped four times by Spain and scored his first international goal against Ukraine in September 2020.

    Barca's 0-0 draw with Cadiz on Thursday piled further pressure on head coach Ronald Koeman, with president Joan Laporta reportedly keen to appoint Belgium boss Roberto Martinez in his place.

    The Catalans have won two and drawn three of their opening five league matches of 2021-22 and are already seven points behind leaders Real Madrid, albeit with a game in hand.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.