Ligue 1 champions Lille confirm Gourvennec as head coach in shock appointment

By Sports Desk July 05, 2021

Lille have appointed Jocelyn Gourvennec as their new head coach to succeed Christoph Galtier, who guided the club to Ligue 1 glory in 2020-21.

Galtier guided Lille to a shock Ligue 1 title after dethroning Paris Saint-Germain for their first league crown since 2010-11, however, he left and eventually joined rivals Nice.

Lille have now surprisingly turned to Gourvennec, with the 49-year-old having not coached since parting ways with Guingamp in May 2019.

Gourvennec also previously led Bordeaux from 2016 to 2018.

A list of big names were linked with the vacant Lille post, including Claudio Ranieri, Thiago Motta, Laurent Blanc, Patrick Vieira – who is now manager of Crystal Palace, and Lucien Favre. 

Lille said in a club statement that Gourvennec is a head coach "recognised for his hard work, his ambition and his obsession with performance, values shared with LOSC".

The French champions have sold goalkeeper Mike Maignan to Serie A side Milan and midfielder Boubakary Soumare to Premier League outfit Leicester City this off-season.

New Lille boss Gourvennec previously had two stints at Guingamp, helping them to promotion to Ligue 1 and winning the Coupe de France in 2014, but suffered relegation in his second stint in 2019.

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Liverpool target Lewandowski, Dortmund eye Werner as Haaland replacement Rumour Has It: Liverpool target Lewandowski, Dortmund eye Werner as Haaland replacement

    Could Jurgen Klopp and Robert Lewandowski be set to work together again?

    The pair enjoyed a successful partnership at Borussia Dortmund.

    Now, Klopp is reportedly trying to lure the Bayern Munich forward to Liverpool.

     

    TOP STORY – KLOPP WANTS LEWANDOWSKI REUNION

    Liverpool are targeting Bayern Munich star Robert Lewandowski, according to Fichajes.

    Lewandowski worked with Jurgen Klopp at Borussia Dortmund before joining Bundesliga rivals Bayern in 2014.

    There has been talk Lewandowski could be ready for a new challenge amid links to Real Madrid and Manchester City, though Klopp is reportedly determined to reunite with the Poland international.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - Bild claims Dortmund have identified Chelsea forward Timo Werner as a possible option to replace Erling Haaland. Club are queueing up to sign Haaland, with City, Manchester United, Bayern, Liverpool, Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus and Paris Saint-Germain all reportedly interested. Should Haaland leave Dortmund, the Bundesliga outfit reportedly see former RB Leipzig star Werner as a potential successor.

    - Fabrizio Romano says Inter forward Lautaro Martinez is nearing a contract extension at San Siro. He has reportedly turned down offers from Tottenham and Atletico Madrid.

    Bayern, Inter, Real Madrid and Tottenham are interested in Borussia Monchengladbach defender Matthias Ginter, reports Calciomercato.

    Chelsea are looking to sign Jorginho, N'Golo Kante, Antonio Rudiger and Andreas Christensen to new contracts, according to Romano.

  • Messi handed full PSG debut for landmark 150th Champions League appearance Messi handed full PSG debut for landmark 150th Champions League appearance

    Lionel Messi was handed his first start for Paris Saint-Germain in Wednesday's Champions League group tie with Club Brugge.

    The superstar forward joined PSG from Barcelona on a free transfer last month and made his debut as a second-half substitute in the 2-0 Ligue 1 win against Reims on August 29.

    He was not considered for selection against Clermont Foot last weekend after arriving back late from Argentina duty, but he was part of PSG's travelling party for the Brugge game.

    And the six-time Ballon d'Or winner was named in the French giants' starting line-up at Jan Breydel Stadion in a star-studded attack that also included Kylian Mbappe and Neymar.

    It is the first time the trio have been on the field together for PSG, with Neymar the player who made way for Messi when the latter made his only previous appearance.

    Messi was making his 150th appearance in the Champions League and his first not with Barcelona, whom he scored 120 goals for and provided 35 assists in the competition.

    The 34-year-old had never previously played against a Belgian side in Europe's primary club competition, scoring against teams from all 17 other nations he had faced before Wednesday.

    Elsewhere in the XI named by Mauricio Pochettino in Belgium, Keylor Navas was selected over Gianluigi Donnarumma in goal after losing his place between the sticks last weekend.

    PSG have scored at least one goal in each of their last 32 games in the group stage of the Champions League, a run that stretches back to November 2015 – the longest current scoring streak in the group stage of the competition.

  • President Laporta asks for patience and trust to 'solve' Barcelona's problems President Laporta asks for patience and trust to 'solve' Barcelona's problems

    Barcelona president Joan Laporta has called for patience and trust from the fanbase as he attempts to "solve" the Catalan giants' on and off the field problems.

    Years of financial mismanagement caught up with Barca last month as they lost Lionel Messi to Paris Saint-Germain on a free transfer.

    Antoine Griezmann was also sent back to title rivals Atletico Madrid on an initial loan amid a flurry of late activity in an attempt to help balance the books.

    Barca's solid, if not spectacular. start to the LaLiga campaign, in which they have picked up seven points from a possible nine, helped lift the mood around Camp Nou somewhat.

    But a crushing 3-0 loss to Bayern Munich on Tuesday – the first time Barca have lost their opening Champions League game in 23 seasons – has changed all that.

    Sergi Roberto was booed by a section of his own supporters when being substituted off during the game, which captain Gerard Pique admitted left him feeling "hurt".

    With supporter unrest growing during a tough period for the LaLiga heavyweights, Laporta issued a video statement on his social media channels on Wednesday.

    "Hello Cules. I am as disappointed and upset as all of you are," he said. "I need to tell you what is happening. This is one of the situations that we expected. 

    "I ask you all for your patience, and that you continue supporting our team. I also ask you to trust us, the people who are managing the club. 

    "We need your trust and time. Do not doubt that we will solve the situation."

    Bayern's prolific striker Robert Lewandowski helped himself to a double after Thomas Muller had opened the scoring in the first half of Tuesday's Group E clash.

    Barca have lost three successive home games in European competition for the first time in their history, having also lost to Juventus and Paris Saint-Germain at Camp Nou last season.

    In their first European game since Messi's exit, the Catalans failed to register a shot on target in a Champions League match for the first time since Opta started recording such data in 2003-04.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.