EPL

​Nuno appointed new Tottenham boss on two-year deal

By Sports Desk June 30, 2021

Tottenham's search for a new head coach is finally over after Nuno Espirito Santo was appointed as Jose Mourinho's successor.

Ryan Mason filled in as caretaker boss following Mourinho's sacking in April, steering the club through to the end of the 2020-21 season.

Former Spurs manager Mauricio Pochettino was linked with a sensational return, while Antonio Conte, Paulo Fonseca and Gennaro Gattuso were all rumoured to be on the verge of filling the vacancy at different stages in the process.

However, the London club have instead turned to Nuno after his four-year spell with Wolves came to an end in May.

The 47-year-old Portuguese has signed a deal until 2023 with Tottenham, where he will work alongside new director of football Fabio Paratici.

"When you have a squad with quality and talent, we want to make the fans proud and enjoy," Nuno said following his appointment.

"It's an enormous pleasure and honour [to be here], there's joy and I'm happy and looking forward to starting work. We don't have any days to lose and we must start working immediately as pre-season starts in a few days."

Nuno earned promotion to the top flight in his first season in charge at Wolves, then followed that achievement with successive seventh-place finishes in the top tier.

He also reached the quarter-finals of the Europa League in the 2019-20 season but, following an underwhelming 2020-21 campaign – not helped by a long-term injury sustained by Raul Jimenez in November, plus the sales of Matt Doherty and Diogo Jota – he left by mutual consent.

Nuno starts his new role amid uncertainty over the future of England captain Harry Kane, with Manchester City reportedly bidding £100million for the prolific striker.

"First of all, I'd like to welcome Nuno to the club," Spurs chairman Daniel Levy said. "We should like to thank our supporters for all their patience throughout this process. 

"I've spoken already about the need to revert back to our core DNA of playing attacking, entertaining football and Fabio and I believe Nuno is the man who can take our talented group of players, embrace our young players coming through and build something special."

Related items

  • Barcelona agree deal to sign Turkish Super Lig's youngest goalscorer Emre Demir Barcelona agree deal to sign Turkish Super Lig's youngest goalscorer Emre Demir

    Barcelona have reached an agreement with Turkish club Kayserispor to sign attacking midfielder Emre Demir on a five-year deal running to 2027.

    The Catalan giants will pay an initial €2million for the 17-year-old and have set his buyout clause at €400m.

    Demir will remain with Super Lig side Kayserispor for the remainder of 2021-22 before linking up with Barcelona B from the start of next season.

    He has already featured 31 times at senior level and made history in November 2019 when becoming the youngest scorer in the Turkish top flight at 15 years, nine months and 25 days old.

    The youngster, who previously had a trial at Barca's La Masia academy in 2017, will become the third Turkish player to sign for the Catalans after Rustu Recber and Arda Turan.

  • Barcelona president Laporta warns Koeman: If decisions have to be taken, we'll take them Barcelona president Laporta warns Koeman: If decisions have to be taken, we'll take them

    Ronald Koeman's job as Barcelona head coach does not depend on the outcome of Thursday's meeting with Cadiz, but president Joan Laporta has warned that "if decisions have to be taken, we will take them".

    The Dutchman is under growing pressure following a slow start to the campaign that has seen Barca drop points to Athletic Bilbao and Granada in their opening four LaLiga games, while also losing 3-0 to Bayern Munich in the Champions League.

    Amid reports Barca are lining up replacements for Koeman, with Belgium boss Roberto Martinez supposedly among the candidates, Koeman refused to answer any questions from reporters at Wednesday's news conference previewing the trip to Cadiz.

    Koeman instead chose to read a prepared statement in which he urged Barca fans to have patience with the process while claiming the club's hierarchy – including Laporta – was fully behind him.

    There have even been suggestions in the Spanish press that Thursday's clash at Estadio Nuevo Mirandilla could be the 58-year-old's last in charge should Barca fail to pick up all three points.

    While Laporta insisted that is not the case, the Barca chief fell short of guaranteeing that the former Netherlands boss will remain in charge further down the line if results do not pick up.

    "Koeman's future doesn't depend on the result tonight," he told El Chiringuito outside the Barcelona team hotel on Thursday. "We are with the coach. He's Barca's first team coach and what we want is for things to go well.

    "All coaches, not just Koeman, depend on results, and in Barca's case on their style of play. Koeman is our coach and we're with him today."

    Barcelona have failed to win five of their last eight LaLiga games stretching back into last season, as many as in their previous 24 matches in the competition, and are eighth in the table ahead of their game in hand.

    Koeman this week spoke out in the Dutch media about the wider issues at Camp Nou and how Lionel Messi, who departed for Paris Saint-Germain on a free transfer last month, papered over the cracks with his individual brilliance.

    But Laporta does not want to use Messi's shock departure, plus the subsequent exit of Antoine Griezmann, as an excuse for Barca's disappointing run of results.

    "We see that the team isn't working as we all were hoping," Laporta said. "In that sense, we'll act thinking always of Barcelona... If decisions have to be taken, we'll take them.

    "What I don't like is a conformist attitude, a certain defeatism, that can't be allowed at Barcelona. We have the team we have, but we can aspire to win LaLiga and the players say to me that we have to be optimistic.

    "We have to work, we have to fight every day, because I believe you achieve success with daily work. Less talking and more doing, more working."

    Barcelona have failed to win their last two LaLiga games against Cadiz (D1 L1). If they fail to win Thursday's match, it will be their longest winless run against the Andalusian side in the competition.

  • Rooney slams Derby owner Morris over 'disrespect' Rooney slams Derby owner Morris over 'disrespect'

    Wayne Rooney has accused Derby County owner Mel Morris of being "disrespectful" and lacking honesty after the Championship club entered administration.

    The Rams' financial woes came to a head when they filed for administration this week, with a 12-point deduction sending them to the foot of the second tier.

    Rooney took permanent charge in January but the former England captain revealed the difficult circumstances he has been working under amid an apparent lack of communication from Morris.

    Derby's football staff were at a meeting with Morris on Tuesday but Manchester United legend Rooney was disappointed not to have one-on-one talks with the chairman as uncertainty mounted. 

    "In my opinion, it wasn't sincere enough, it wasn't heartfelt enough, and it wasn't done with enough honesty," said Rooney ahead of Saturday's trip to Sheffield United.

    "Obviously he has moved on and we have to move on and put Mel Morris to the back of our minds.

    "I personally haven't spoken to Mel Morris since August 9. I still haven't had a one-on-one conversation, no phone call, no text message. Nothing.

    "I find it a bit disrespectful, to be honest. Communication is so important, whether it’s good news or bad news, so we can deal with it.

    "He doesn't have to apologise to me. I just found, as manager of this football club, getting questions from players and staff and not being able to answer, I was hurt by that.

    "He's put a lot of money into the club, and he deserves a lot of respect for that, but there are ways of handling things and it has left me disappointed."

    Derby face the possibility of a further points deduction due to a potential breach of the EFL's Financial Fair Play rules.

    Andrew Hosking, Carl Jackson and Andrew Andronikou of business advisory firm Quantuma have been appointed as the club's administrators.

    Rooney, however, insists he will stay put as long as Derby want him.

    "I have said how committed I am to this job and this club. Nothing changes," he added.

    "I am committed to this football club. I grew up on a council estate in Liverpool. I know how tough life can be.

    "What kind of person would I be if I went and laid on a beach for a few weeks? We can stay up but if we get more points deducted, it will get a lot more difficult."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.