Super League rebels have 'paralysed themselves', says UEFA president Ceferin

By Sports Desk May 31, 2021

UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin says Juventus, Real Madrid and Barcelona have "paralysed themselves" with their commitment to European Super League plans.

Nine of the 12 rebel clubs who signed up to the breakaway competition, announced in April, have withdrawn from the proposals amid a huge external backlash.

Juve, Madrid and Barca alone continue to pursue the idea, insisting football is facing an "inevitable downfall" without reform.

UEFA launched disciplinary proceedings against those three clubs last week after previously agreeing "reintegration measures" with the other nine, who apologised for their part in the plot.

Refuting the suggestion that the ongoing power struggle could cripple the European game, Ceferin told Sky Sport Italia: "They [the three rebel clubs] paralysed themselves with the approach they took.

"It's strange to read press releases that the three clubs out of thousands of clubs think their idea will save football and nobody else likes it."

Ceferin, who could offer no update on the disciplinary case as the committee involved is an independent body, also questioned why Juve, Madrid and Barca would commit to next season's Champions League even while persisting with plans for an alternative competition.

"For me what is strange is that you publish you are still part of the Super League and then you send a letter applying to play in the Champions League. So you are in Super League but play Champions League. It's quite hard to understand what they mean," he said.

"They should call us, send us a letter, ask for a meeting. They just sent some press releases saying they want to have a dialogue. It's quite a strange approach.

"It's really hard to understand what they want. If they say Super League exists – and nobody prevents them from playing Super League, the three of you can play your Super League. But they say they want to play Champions League as well at the same time.

"We are not afraid of those things. If the courts decide one way or another we have to be honest and work for football, which those clubs are not."

Related items

  • Solskjaer praises Man United's ambition as Varane deal edges closer Solskjaer praises Man United's ambition as Varane deal edges closer

    Ole Gunnar Solskjaer praised Manchester United's transfer business as he declared the Red Devils were in a "good position" ahead of the 2021-22 campaign.

    Jadon Sancho joined on Friday from Borussia Dortmund and with a deal agreed in principle for Raphael Varane from Real Madrid, Solskjaer hailed the work done to strengthen his squad this month.

    United's manager, who signed a new contract until 2024 on Saturday, spoke after his side's 2-2 draw with Brentford in a pre-season friendly at Old Trafford on Wednesday.

    "First of all the club shows ambition with one of the most exciting young players in world football, then one of the most respected centre-backs," Solskjaer said post-match.

    "We have different ways of playing with Raphael. I can't wait to get him in, hopefully we can get that sorted as soon as.

    "Of course, [we are] very happy that we've managed to get a deal with Real Madrid. [The] medical should hopefully be OK. He's a proven winner, a player we've followed for many years."

    Varane has collected three LaLiga titles and four Champions League triumphs in a 10-year spell in Madrid, though with a year left on his contract he felt it was time to move on.

    The France international also won the World Cup in 2018 before playing in all four games at Euro 2020, where he was the only France defender to not be dribbled past.

    The signing of Varane is, as Solskjaer says, likely to go through soon and the former United forward is delighted to have done business early this transfer window.

    "We've scrambled before towards the end of the window and now I have to say we're in a good position," he added before providing an update on Marcus Rashford's potential surgery and the return of his international stars.

    "With Marcus, we'll probably make a decision in the next few days when we check him up again. What's best for him and best for the club has to be considered.

    "I haven't got a Scooby Doo how they [the returning internationals] are fitness-wise. Everyone's due in Monday for training, that means three weeks since the last game. We'll see how they are, what fitness levels they are at."

    The Red Devils have friendlies left against Preston North End and Everton before kicking off their Premier League campaign against Leeds United on August 14.

  • Midtjylland 2-1 Celtic (aet, 3-2 agg): Onyedika dumps Hoops out of Champions League Midtjylland 2-1 Celtic (aet, 3-2 agg): Onyedika dumps Hoops out of Champions League

    Celtic suffered another Champions League nightmare as Midtjylland came from behind to reach the third qualifying round with a 2-1 victory after extra time.

    A magnificent Callum McGregor goal put the Hoops in front on aggregate early in the second half of a second leg that started with the two sides level at 1-1 at the MCH Arena.

    Awer Mabil equalised with a header and Raphael Onyedika settled the tie early in extra time as the Danish Superliga side set up a two-legged meeting with PSV.

    Celtic crashed out at the same stage as they did last season at the hands of Ferencvaros and will now face a Europa League qualifier against Czech side Jablonec in a miserable start to Ange Postecoglou's reign.

    David Turnbull forced an early save from Midtjylland goalkeeper Jonas but it was not until the second half that the game burst into life.

    McGregor opened the scoring in spectacular fashion just three minutes after the break, controlling the ball on his chest after it was headed into his path from a corner and unleashing a sublime left-foot volley that flashed into the far corner of the net from outside the penalty area.

    Midtjylland responded well to going behind and Onyedika called Scott Bain into action with a shot from a tight angle before Mabil nipped in to nod home Pione Sisto's pinpoint cross just after the hour mark.

    Victor Stange Lind wasted a great chance to snatch victory at the end of normal time when he fired a volley wide, but Onyedika deservedly fired home the winner with his left foot when Celtic failed to deal with a free-kick four minutes into extra time.

  • Chelsea sign former Fulham goalkeeper Bettinelli Chelsea sign former Fulham goalkeeper Bettinelli

    Chelsea have signed Marcus Bettinelli on a two-year deal after his contract with neighbours Fulham expired.

    The goalkeeper made 120 appearances over a decade at Craven Cottage but will now provide back-up to Edouard Mendy and Kepa Arrizabalaga.

    Bettinelli, 29, will replace Willy Caballero, who left Chelsea as a free agent after just two appearances in all competitions last season.

    The new man has limited top-flight experience, having made his Premier League debut for Fulham against Burnley in August 2018. That game started a run of seven league starts under Slavisa Jokanovic.

    Bettinelli's form over that stretch earned a call-up to Gareth Southgate's England squad, though he did not make an appearance for the Three Lions.

    On moving to Stamford Bridge, Bettinelli said: "It's always been a special club. I know the area very well so it's been a dream of mine to come over to this side and it's finally happened.

    "There were some talks a few years ago when I was a bit younger and for whatever reason that didn't come about but I'm here now.

    "I'm really excited to be involved and looking forward to trying to impress and help the team as much as I can."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.