Solskjaer remains hopeful Maguire will play in Europa League final

By Sports Desk May 12, 2021

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer does not expect Harry Maguire to feature in the Premier League again this season but remains hopeful he will be fit for the Europa League final.

United captain Maguire suffered ankle ligament damage when he collided with Anwar El Ghazi during a 3-1 win at Aston Villa last Sunday.

The England centre-back was at Old Trafford on crutches wearing a protective boot on his left foot for a 2-1 loss to Leicester City on Tuesday, a defeat that sealed the title for Manchester City.

Solskjaer thinks Maguire's top-flight campaign is over with three games to play, but is optimistic he will face Villarreal in Gdansk on May 26.

The United boss said on the eve of Thursday's Premier League encounter with Liverpool: "The good news was it wasn't broken. There was no fracture, but a ligament injury of course is serious as well.

"If I'm very positive - that's maybe stretching it - I'm hopeful that he might be ready for it [the Europa League final]. I don't think he'll play in the league again before [the end of the season]. We'll do everything we can to get him ready for the final."

Solskjaer said there should be no concerns that he might take a risk by playing Maguire with Euro 2020 on the horizon.

"You always try to look after players long-term. If he's fit, he'll play for us, if he's not he won't," said the former Norway striker.

"As I said, we're hopeful that he's ready. If he's ready for us, he'll probably be ready for the Euros. Norway are not in the Euros, so I'm not really that concerned [about the Euros]."

Solskjaer made 10 changes to his starting line-up for the defeat to the Foxes and will rotate again when they face Champions League hopefuls Liverpool, given United are amid a schedule of four games in the space of 10 days.

"There will be changes of course but many of the players that played tonight did really well so they're in contention as well," he added.

"It's about managing the squad now and building momentum, building confidence, making sure we get enough points to get second and then going into the final confident."

Related items

  • Grealish, Maguire and Saka all start for England v Czech Republic Grealish, Maguire and Saka all start for England v Czech Republic

    Jack Grealish and Harry Maguire will start England's Euro 2020 Group D match against the Czech Republic at Wembley, with Arsenal's Bukayo Saka a surprise inclusion in Gareth Southgate's XI.

    Grealish was a second-half substitute in England's 0-0 draw against Scotland last Friday and Mason Mount being forced into self-isolation after a coronavirus scare has cleared the way for the Aston Villa favourite to start in the number 10 role.

    Raheem Sterling – the scorer of England's only goal in the tournament so far – and captain Harry Kane retain their places, with Saka completing the forward line.

    The 19-year-old netted his first international goal in a friendly against Austria earlier this month and is preferred to the likes of Marcus Rashford and Jadon Sancho, the Borussia Dortmund winger who is yet to feature at Euro 2020 despite 16 goals and 18 assists at club level in 2020-21.

    Manchester United skipper Maguire returns to partner John Stones at centre-back following ankle ligament damage and the duo are charged with keeping Golden Boot contender Patrik Schick, the spearhead of an unchanged Czech line-up, quiet.

    Schick has three goals in two outings so far and a draw will be enough for his country to deny England top spot.

    England's fourth and final change from the Scotland match is Kyle Walker's inclusion at right-back, although his Manchester City team-mate Phil Foden is not in the matchday squad, with Southgate electing to rest the playmaker due to a yellow card he collected against Croatia, which put him at risk of suspension for the round of 16.

  • 'Grandpa is not dead!' - Giroud insists he has no plans to call time on France career 'Grandpa is not dead!' - Giroud insists he has no plans to call time on France career

    Olivier Giroud has insisted he has no intention of calling time on his France career after Euro 2020 and says he still has "the hunger of a 20-year-old".

    The Chelsea striker, who turns 35 in September, has fallen down Les Blues' pecking order following Karim Benzema's shock return to the national team last month after a near six-year exile.

    He was an unused substitute in France's 1-0 win over Germany in their Group F opener and played the final 14 minutes in Saturday's 1-1 draw with Hungary.

    Giroud has previously suggested Euro 2020 will be his final campaign with France, but he has now declared that he has plenty more to give to his national side.

    "I'm not finished, far from it. Count on me, grandpa is not dead!" Giroud, who was one of the key members of France's World Cup-winning squad in 2018, told Le Figaro.

    "I'm almost 35 but have the hunger of a 20-year-old guy. I know how to do it with the team.

    "The France team has a fairly incredible strike force, but I have a card to play because there are no other players with my profile. I am here to respond and bring what I want.

    "I have the desire and, if the young people want to move me, they will have to be ready too."

    Giroud's appearance against Hungary was his 100th in a France shirt while playing under Didier Deschamps.

    No other player for Les Bleus has ever recorded a century of senior international appearances with the same man in charge.

    The closest players to Giroud's tally under Deschamps are Antoine Griezmann (93 appearances), Hugo Lloris (90), Paul Pogba (82) and Blaise Matuidi (80).

    He has won 109 caps in total for France and has 46 goals to his name, leaving him second in the nation's all-time top scorers list and just five short of Thierry Henry's record.

    Chelsea confirmed earlier this month they have activated a 12-month extension in Giroud's contract, but he continues to be linked with Serie A giants Milan.

  • Rumour Has It: Man City make Kane bid, Inter braced for PSG's new Hakimi offer Rumour Has It: Man City make Kane bid, Inter braced for PSG's new Hakimi offer

    Is Harry Kane headed for Manchester?

    The England international, busy on Euro 2020 duty, is reportedly unhappy at Tottenham.

    A move from London to Manchester could be on the cards.

     

    TOP STORY – CITY MAKE KANE OFFER

    Manchester City have made an official £100million bid to sign Harry Kane from Tottenham, according to Fabrizio Romano.

    Kane reportedly wants to leave Tottenham amid links with Premier League champions City, Manchester United, Chelsea, Real Madrid, Barcelona and Paris Saint-Germain.

    However, Spurs are reluctant to sell the star Tottenham and England forward.

    City are offering up Gabriel Jesus as they look to sign either Kane or Borussia Dortmund sensation Erling Haaland, claims The Times.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - Sky Sport reports Inter are expecting PSG to make a new bid for star full-back Achraf Hakimi in the next few days. Chelsea and Bayern Munich have also been linked.

    United want Villarreal defender Paul Torres in a swap deal, claims the Manchester Evening News. United are keen to bolster their defence and have also been linked with moves for free agent Sergio Ramos, Madrid centre-back Raphael Varane, Sevilla's Jules Kounde and Cristian Romero of Atalanta.

    - Mundo Deportivo says LaLiga champions Atletico Madrid are interested in Napoli captain Lorenzo Insigne. The Italy international is heading into the final year of his contract at Napoli. Barcelona, Milan and Liverpool have been linked previously.

    Juventus will open talks with Sassuolo for star midfielder Manuel Locatelli, according to Sky Sport. Locatelli has also been linked with Inter, Madrid and City.

    - Marca reports Milan could make a move for Madrid defender Alvaro Odriozola, who is a target should the Rossoneri fail to retain the services of United's Diogo Dalot.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.