Nine Super League clubs welcomed back by UEFA but Juventus, Barcelona and Real Madrid given stern warning

By Sports Desk May 07, 2021

Nine of the clubs involved in the proposed European Super League have escaped a possible ban from the Champions League and Europa League after being welcomed back by UEFA.

The Premier League's 'big six' and Milan, Inter and Atletico Madrid have affirmed their commitment to UEFA competitions after acknowledging "the Super League project was a mistake" and apologising "to fans, national associations, national leagues, fellow European clubs and UEFA".

All nine clubs must abide by a set of "reintegration measures" in order to be allowed back into the UEFA fold.

These include commitments to UEFA Statutes and to competing in existing UEFA competitions for which they qualify, rejoining the European Club Association and taking "all steps within their power" to terminate their involvement in the company established to run the Super League.

The clubs will also contribute to a €15million goodwill fund to be used for youth and grassroots football in Europe, while they will see five per cent of UEFA club competition revenues withheld for one season. UEFA says that revenue money will also be redistributed.

Should any of the nine clubs attempt a similar breakaway in future, they will be fined €100m. Breaching any other aspect of the Club Commitment Declaration – the agreement signed to enable their return to UEFA competitions – will incur a fine of €50m.

Manchester United, Manchester City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham, Liverpool, Milan, Inter and Atletico all renounced the Super League following significant opposition from fans, players and sponsors over their proposed involvement.

However, Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus have so far refused to follow suit and all three could now face strong punishment by UEFA, with the matter referred to disciplinary bodies.

UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin said: "I said at the UEFA Congress two weeks ago that it takes a strong organisation to admit making a mistake especially in these days of trial by social media. These clubs have done just that.
 
"In accepting their commitments and willingness to repair the disruption they caused, UEFA wants to put this chapter behind it and move forward in a positive spirit. 
 
"The measures announced are significant, but none of the financial penalties will be retained by UEFA. They will all be reinvested into youth and grassroots football in local communities across Europe, including the UK. 
 
"These clubs recognised their mistakes quickly and have taken action to demonstrate their contrition and future commitment to European football. The same cannot be said for the clubs that remain involved in the so-called 'Super League' and UEFA will deal with those clubs subsequently."

Related items

  • Iniesta pays tribute to former Barcelona youth coach Vilaseca Iniesta pays tribute to former Barcelona youth coach Vilaseca

    Andres Iniesta paid tribute to former Barcelona youth coach Joan Martinez Vilaseca, who has died at the aged of 78.

    Vilaseca, who played for Espanyol and Levante, spent almost 30 years with Barca as a coach and scout in the club's famed Masia academy.

    During his time at Barca, Vilaseca helped oversee the development of players who would go on to become household names, including Carles Puyol, Xavi, Cesc Fabregas, Mikel Arteta and Iniesta.

    Former Barca midfielder Iniesta was one of the first to pay tribute, with the 37-year-old, who currently plays for Vissel Kobe in Japan, posting a message on Twitter.

    "Thanks to an excellent person who was always there helping us when we were children we arrived at La Masia, rest in peace, Joan," Iniesta tweeted.

    "Thank you very much for all your dedication to Barca. A lot of encouragement and a lot of strength to the family!!"

  • Koeman does not regret taking Barcelona job Koeman does not regret taking Barcelona job

    Barcelona head coach Ronald Koeman has no regrets over his decision to take charge at Camp Nou.

    Koeman left his role in charge of the Netherlands to return to Barca – where he established himself as a club great as a player – as coach in 2020, following Quique Setien's dismissal

    The Dutchman's time at the helm has not gone smoothly, with Barca's financial difficulties making the job even more complicated.

    President Joan Laporta was said to be uncertain on keeping Koeman when he took over earlier in 2021, while Barca's squad has been significantly dented by the departure of Lionel Messi in August, while Antoine Griezmann also left late in the window.

    Koeman does have Memphis Depay at his disposal, with the duo having previously worked together with the Netherlands, and the former Lyon forward has made a strong start to life in LaLiga.

    With Barca labouring to a third-place finish last term, Laporta subsequently started a search for a replacement for Koeman, only to stick with the 58-year-old.

    Koeman, who said to NOS some of his president's previous comments were "not wise" and claimed he was "the future of Barcelona", stated prior to Tuesday's Champions League defeat to Bayern Munich that there were no issues between himself and Laporta.

    Ahead of Monday's meeting with Granada, Koeman reiterated that, despite the difficulties he faces, he does not regret taking up the job and has no concerns over his future.

    "I do not regret coming. It is a complicated situation for me, the club and the fans," Koeman told a news conference.

    "We lack things. We all want the best for the club. I knew it and wanted to come. But I did not expect this situation, with the economic problems, but I fight and I want to be here and I want to win.

    "I don't know anything [about my future]. I only think about the game and the team. The rest is not in my hands.

    "I am calm and confident of winning games. We have to recover to have more players available, but I know that we have to win, it is only the results that count.

    "I am not afraid for my future. The club decides."

    Asked if he feels there is a campaign against him, Koeman said: "I don't feel that way, but everyone has the right to have a say and be for or against me. This cannot be helped."

    Barca sit ninth on seven points, but remain unbeaten in their three LaLiga games so far this term. Should they win or draw Monday's game, they will have their highest point total from their first four matches of a league campaign since 2018-19.

    History is also on Barca's side. At home, they have won 24 of their 25 matches against Granada in LaLiga, with the only exception coming in their loss in their last meeting at Camp Nou in the competition in April.

  • Jimmy Greaves: World Cup hat-trick hero Hurst, Kane and Southgate pay tribute to Tottenham great Jimmy Greaves: World Cup hat-trick hero Hurst, Kane and Southgate pay tribute to Tottenham great
© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.