Pioli expects Milan to come out fighting after Lazio defeat

By Sports Desk April 26, 2021

Stefano Pioli warned Milan must not feel sorry for themselves after a 3-0 Serie A defeat at Lazio and expects them to show a strong response to dropping out of the top four.

Joaquin Correa scored twice and Ciro Immobile added a late third as Lazio boosted their chances of qualifying for the Champions League at Stadio Olimpico on Monday.

Lazio boss Simone Inzaghi was able to celebrate a 10th consecutive home victory in the top flight in his first game back on the touchline since recovering from coronavirus.

Milan, on the other hand, have suffered back-to-back defeats and are down in fifth place with five games remaining - level on points with Napoli and Juventus.

Lazio are five points behind the Rossoneri with a game in hand and Pioli has challenged his side to roll up their sleeves in the battle for a place in Europe's premier club competition following an emphatic loss against his former club.

He told Sky Italia: "I expected more from the team, we have the technical and physical qualities to do better.

"The game became complicated at 2-0 and I don't see how the tackle on Calha [Hakan Calhanoglu before Correa's second goal] could not be a foul.

"Now we have to show that we are as strong as I believe we are, we have to react immediately because this is a heavy defeat."

Asked about the size of the challenging facing his side in the quest for a Champions League spot, he replied: "The opponents are strong but we're there and we don't have to feel sorry for ourselves, we know what we have to do."

Pioli says Milan must get on the training ground and show the right mentality with so much at stake.

"There have been some tactical things that have worked or not and need to be improved," said the Milan head coach. "I know I have an intelligent team, despite being young, with great character. I expect an important reaction."

Pirlo revealed he hopes striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic to return from injury against Benevento at San Siro on Saturday.

UEFA on Monday revealed the Sweden star, who signed a new one-year deal with Milan last week, is being investigated for "an alleged financial interest in a betting company".

Related items

  • Gollini aiming to be the 'future of Tottenham' after arriving from Atalanta Gollini aiming to be the 'future of Tottenham' after arriving from Atalanta

    Tottenham have confirmed the signing of Pierluigi Gollini from Atalanta, with the goalkeeper initially joining on a season-long loan deal that includes an option to buy.

    Gollini has played 89 Serie A games across the past five seasons for Atalanta, having joined the Serie A club after a spell in English football at Aston Villa.

    The 26-year-old had previously spent time at Manchester United earlier in his career, too, but it was at Hellas Verona where he made his first-team debut during the 2014-15 season.

    After representing Italy at youth level, he made his debut for the Azzurri when coming on as a late substitute in a Euro 2020 qualifier against Bosnia-Herzegovina in November 2019, though that remains his only international appearance to date.

    Now part of Nuno Espirito Santos' squad at Spurs, Gollini is looking forward to working alongside Hugo Lloris – but also plans to prove he is a long-term option to be the new number one.

  • Bayern Munich announce Schalke charity match, pledge support to flood victims Bayern Munich announce Schalke charity match, pledge support to flood victims

    Bayern Munich will donate over €1million to support victims of this month's flash floods and storms in Germany, with a charity match against Schalke also scheduled.

    Parts of Germany and Belgium were heavily hit by floods over the last fortnight. Over 100 people are still missing, with Germany's official death toll standing at 177, while thousands more have been made homeless.

    Two of the worst-hit areas have been North Rhine-Westphalia and Rhineland-Palatinate, while storms have also caused disruption in Bavaria.

    In response, Bayern have pledged a minimum aid package of €1.1million, with €1m split between the regions in the west, and €100,000 going towards helping to repair damage in the south.

    The Bundesliga champions have also arranged to play a friendly against Schalke, who are based in the North Rhine-Westphalia city of Gelsenkirchen.

    Schalke were relegated to the second tier last season, though with the date for the charity game at Veltins Arena not yet confirmed, Bayern pledged the financial support immediately.

    "The images of the flood disaster shocked us," said Bayern president Herbert Hainer.

    "In such a terrible situation, we have to stick together as a society. Football also lives very much from solidarity and social responsibility. We can only guess what the people in the affected regions have gone through and continue to go through.

    "We also want to support them with our charity game and the donation ... is on the side of the flood victims.

    "I would like to thank FC Schalke 04 very much, Schalke immediately agreed to take part in our initiative. On the occasion of the charity game, together we will also commemorate the people who tragically lost their lives in the storm."

  • Rumour Has It: Kane poised for £160million move to Manchester City Rumour Has It: Kane poised for £160million move to Manchester City

    Harry Kane looks like he might soon get his wish to leave Tottenham.

    Spurs had previously dug in their heels and were determined that Kane, who is contracted until 2024, would stay.

    The England captain won last season's Premier League Golden Boot with 23 goals, and now he could be heading to the champions.

     

    TOP STORY – CITY SET FOR BUMPER KANE DEAL

    Tottenham forward Harry Kane is poised for a £160million move to Manchester City, reports The Sun.

    According to the report, Spurs chairman Daniel Levy will allow Kane to exit the club for such a sum.

    Kane is said by the newspaper to have agreed personal terms on a £400,000-a-week deal with City, which is reportedly double his current Tottenham contract.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - Paul Pogba has rejected a £50million contract offer at Manchester United and is set to leave this summer, according to The Mirror as rumours swirl about Paris Saint-Germain's interest.

    - Marca reports that Kylian Mbappe will reject Paris Saint-Germain's latest contract offer and look to seal a move to Spanish giants Real Madrid.

    - Fabrizio Romano has reported that talks are ongoing between Atalanta and Tottenham for Cristian Romero with personal terms agreed and a €55m price tag on the table.

    - Atalanta want Tottenham defender Davinson Sanchez included in any deal, reports Sportitalia.

    - Milan are interested in signing Chelsea midfielder Hakim Ziyech on loan, claims Calcio Mercato.

    - Donyell Malen 's transfer from PSV Eindhoven to Borussia Dortmund is all but done according to Dutch outlet ED, with an anticipated €30m fee.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.