Koeman's pledge as charging Barcelona start to look like LaLiga title favourites

By Sports Desk April 25, 2021

Ronald Koeman promised Barcelona would "go with everything we have" to secure the LaLiga title on an evening when Atletico Madrid faltered again.

The trophy, and a domestic double, looked unlikely prospects as Barcelona stumbled through the opening months of the season.

Yet they will head into May with the Copa del Rey locked away in the trophy room and league glory could follow.

Long-time leaders Atletico have struggled without former Barcelona frontman Luis Suarez recently, and although he came off the bench in Sunday's clash with Athletic Bilbao, Diego Simeone's wobbling side suffered a 2-1 defeat.

It means that although Atletico still hold a two-point lead at the top, Barcelona and Real Madrid are the closest chasing sides, level on 71 points. Importantly, Barca have a game in hand over both their rivals.

The Camp Nou club's 2-1 win over Villarreal strengthened their championship case, with Real Madrid only able to draw 0-0 with Real Betis on Saturday.

Asked about the prospect of a league and cup double, Koeman said on Sunday: "I have never said that it is impossible, but when you have a distance of points and you are behind, you have to go game by game.

"We're in there. But the best way to win this league is to go game by game."

Speaking after Barcelona's win but before Atletico fell to their jolting defeat, Koeman praised his side, who have now gathered 46 points from a possible 51 since the turn of the year in LaLiga.

Of their last 24 clashes with Villarreal in LaLiga, Barca have won 18 times and drawn the other six, a staggeringly good record against one of Spain's better club sides.

"It is closer, but I don't know if it is very close," Koeman said of the title. "We have a track record of many victories. And what the team are doing is something very big, trying to win LaLiga as well.

"We know that if we win all six games we will be champions. We are going to go with everything we have to try to win LaLiga."

Atletico have lost two of their last five LaLiga games, showing fallibility at just the wrong time. They had previously lost just two of 44 league matches, including a strong finish to last season.

A Camp Nou clash between Atletico and Barcelona on May 8 is the standout fixture of the title run-in, and momentum can quickly turn.

Before that, Barca have games against Granada on Thursday and at Valencia on Sunday.

Koeman said it is "difficult to be 100 per cent" when games are coming so thick and fast.

But having come so far, making up so much ground when at one point qualifying for the Champions League looked to be in doubt, Barcelona are determined not to slow down.

As goalkeeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen put it on Instagram: "6 finals to go. We must be ready for Thursday."

Related items

  • Iniesta pays tribute to former Barcelona youth coach Vilaseca Iniesta pays tribute to former Barcelona youth coach Vilaseca

    Andres Iniesta paid tribute to former Barcelona youth coach Joan Martinez Vilaseca, who has died at the aged of 78.

    Vilaseca, who played for Espanyol and Levante, spent almost 30 years with Barca as a coach and scout in the club's famed Masia academy.

    During his time at Barca, Vilaseca helped oversee the development of players who would go on to become household names, including Carles Puyol, Xavi, Cesc Fabregas, Mikel Arteta and Iniesta.

    Former Barca midfielder Iniesta was one of the first to pay tribute, with the 37-year-old, who currently plays for Vissel Kobe in Japan, posting a message on Twitter.

    "Thanks to an excellent person who was always there helping us when we were children we arrived at La Masia, rest in peace, Joan," Iniesta tweeted.

    "Thank you very much for all your dedication to Barca. A lot of encouragement and a lot of strength to the family!!"

  • Koeman does not regret taking Barcelona job Koeman does not regret taking Barcelona job

    Barcelona head coach Ronald Koeman has no regrets over his decision to take charge at Camp Nou.

    Koeman left his role in charge of the Netherlands to return to Barca – where he established himself as a club great as a player – as coach in 2020, following Quique Setien's dismissal

    The Dutchman's time at the helm has not gone smoothly, with Barca's financial difficulties making the job even more complicated.

    President Joan Laporta was said to be uncertain on keeping Koeman when he took over earlier in 2021, while Barca's squad has been significantly dented by the departure of Lionel Messi in August, while Antoine Griezmann also left late in the window.

    Koeman does have Memphis Depay at his disposal, with the duo having previously worked together with the Netherlands, and the former Lyon forward has made a strong start to life in LaLiga.

    With Barca labouring to a third-place finish last term, Laporta subsequently started a search for a replacement for Koeman, only to stick with the 58-year-old.

    Koeman, who said to NOS some of his president's previous comments were "not wise" and claimed he was "the future of Barcelona", stated prior to Tuesday's Champions League defeat to Bayern Munich that there were no issues between himself and Laporta.

    Ahead of Monday's meeting with Granada, Koeman reiterated that, despite the difficulties he faces, he does not regret taking up the job and has no concerns over his future.

    "I do not regret coming. It is a complicated situation for me, the club and the fans," Koeman told a news conference.

     

    "We lack things. We all want the best for the club. I knew it and wanted to come. But I did not expect this situation, with the economic problems, but I fight and I want to be here and I want to win.

    "I don't know anything [about my future]. I only think about the game and the team. The rest is not in my hands.

    "I am calm and confident of winning games. We have to recover to have more players available, but I know that we have to win, it is only the results that count.

    "I am not afraid for my future. The club decides."

    Asked if he feels there is a campaign against him, Koeman said: "I don't feel that way, but everyone has the right to have a say and be for or against me. This cannot be helped."

    Barca sit ninth on seven points, but remain unbeaten in their three LaLiga games so far this term. Should they win or draw Monday's game, they will have their highest point total from their first four matches of a league campaign since 2018-19.

    History is also on Barca's side. At home, they have won 24 of their 25 matches against Granada in LaLiga, with the only exception coming in their loss in their last meeting at Camp Nou in the competition in April.

  • Cardinals respond to Jones speculation after five-sack showing Cardinals respond to Jones speculation after five-sack showing

    Arizona Cardinals general manager Steve Keim insists his team are "not in the business of getting rid of good players", amid speculation over the future of Chandler Jones.

    Former New England Patriots pass-rusher Jones sat out OTAs and minicamp as well as reportedly requesting a trade as he entered this season, the last of his current contract.

    Last season, three-time Pro Bowler Jones suffered a torn bicep in Week 5 ending his campaign early.

    But the 31-year-old started 2021 with a bang, recording an astonishing five sacks as the Cardinals opened with a big 38-13 win at the Tennessee Titans.

    Ahead of the Cardinals playing the Minnesota Vikings on Sunday, Keim was asked whether the team would be able to tie Jones down to a new deal.

    "We are not in the business of moving on and getting rid of good football players," Keim said to Arizona Sports 98.7 FM.

    "You always want to get good players under contract, but there are always a million different moving parts. 

    "I have to continue to look at the roster moving forward, generally from a three-year standpoint."

    Per Stats Perform data, Jones' five-sack showing was just the eighth time this century a player has recorded that number in a single game. 

    The last player to achieve the feat was in fact Haason Reddick, also for the Cardinals, in Week 14 of last season against the New York Giants.

    Reddick has since moved on to the Carolina Panthers, but having Jones back with a point to prove should be of huge benefit.

    While Jones is focused on what takes place on the field, he acknowledges the contract situation is hard to ignore entirely.

    "I'm just playing football, honestly," Jones said. "I just let my agent take care of that – the contract situation – but it is the last year of my contract and I just let that take care of itself.

    "Is it something that, I mean, [I think about] off the field? Yeah, I mean, of course. I don't know where I'm gonna live next year. 

    "But in the same situation, I think, when the season starts, I tell my agent let's put all that to a side, you take care of that.

    "If you want to talk about it, you talk about it. As far as for me, I'm going to play, and I'm going to play my best football, and we'll see what happens then.

    "When it comes to the season, I think doing your job is essential, putting the team first, ignore the noise and just managing expectations.

    "I think I play best when I don't go in thinking about the deal or the contract."

    The Cardinals' Week 1 win was their second largest victory since Kliff Kingsbury became head coach in 2019. 

    They play a Vikings team who suffered a disappointing overtime defeat to the Cincinnati Bengals to begin the season.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.