Bale would back social media boycott to combat abuse

By Sports Desk March 29, 2021

Wales captain Gareth Bale would support a boycott of social media sites unless greater action is taken to combat online abuse.

International team-mates Ben Cabango and Rabbi Matondo were victims of racism following the 1-0 friendly win over Mexico last Saturday.

The Football Association of Wales (FAW) said it was "disgusted" by the abuse and urged social media platforms and regulators to take "stronger, more effective and urgent action against this despicable behaviour".

Just two days earlier, former Arsenal and Barcelona star Thierry Henry announced he would be disabling his social media accounts until companies took greater accountability for discriminatory posts.

Speaking ahead of Wales' World Cup qualifier against the Czech Republic on Tuesday, Bale agreed that more must be done to clamp down on such behaviour online.

"Something needs to happen," he said. "I think if everyone came together and decided to boycott social media, to make a statement [I would].

"If everybody did it at once, not just one or two people, and if we did a campaign with a lot of big influential people in sport and other forms of life came off social media to make a statement, then yeah, I think it could help.

"If that was the case, I would be all for that.

"I've had a lot of bad things said to me on social media, but I'm sure if they [Cabango and Matondo] wanted to come to me for advice they know where they am.

"We've had a brief chat, I haven't gone into too much details. They've spoken with representatives of the FAW and we know obviously it's in the hands of the police and an ongoing investigation.

"From my point of view, I try to stay off it because there's so many toxic people trying to say negative things and put you down.

"It's nice to be able to share what we do and how we do things, pictures of training and what we're enjoying doing.

"But looking at those comments sometimes it's best to stay away from it, share what you want to share and don't read too much into the comments because there's some horrible people out there."

Related items

  • Tottenham tie down Son as Kane rumours swirl Tottenham tie down Son as Kane rumours swirl

    Son Heung-min has pledged his future to Tottenham, with the South Korea star signing a new contract to keep him at the club until 2025.

    Son joined Spurs from Bayer Leverkusen in 2015 and has gone on to establish himself as one of the Premier League’s best forwards, scoring 107 goals and providing 64 assists across 280 appearances in all competitions.

    A key player under both Mauricio Pochettino and Jose Mourinho, Son's previous contract was due to run out in 2023.

    However, Tottenham have moved to secure the future of the 29-year-old, who should play a big part in new manager Nuno Espirito Santo's team

    Son said: "It was already a big honour to play here for six years, the club have showed me massive, massive respect and obviously I'm very happy to be here.

    "It's like home, especially with the fans, the players, the staff. There was no decision. It was easy. I'm so happy to be here and will be so glad to see the fans again soon."

    Fabio Paratici, Spurs' new managing director of football, said: "We are pleased to have agreed a new long-term contract with Son as we move towards the start of a new season and a new chapter for the club with Nuno Espirito Santo.

    "Everyone can see the real positive impact he has on the club, both on and off the field, and we are delighted that he will play a part in what we are trying to achieve in the coming years."

    Son’s link-up play with Kane has been a driving force for Spurs in recent times, with their partnership thriving last season.

    Indeed, by early March, the duo had directly combined for 14 league goals, surpassing the record previously held by Alan Shearer and Chris Sutton, who managed 13 when one set up the other in Blackburn Rovers' 1994-95 title winning season.

    While Kane finished as the league's leading scorer, with 23 goals, Son contributed a further 17 to Spurs' cause, averaging a strike every 183 minutes.

    Kane also topped the assist charts, with 14 from 49 chances created, though Son was more creative on the whole, crafting 75 goalscoring opportunities and registering 10 assists.

    However, while Son will be at Tottenham heading into 2021-22, Kane's future is far from certain.

    The England captain is said to be keen to leave Spurs, with widespread reports claiming he is aiming to secure a move to Manchester City.

    Talks of a £100million offer from City surfaced during Euro 2020, while reports this week have suggested a £160million fee would be enough to persuade Spurs to sell their talisman.

    It remains to be seen if City will lodge a formal offer, and in the meantime Spurs are set to confirm the loan signing of Atalanta goalkeeper Pierluigi Gollini – their first arrival under Nuno.

  • BREAKING NEWS: Tottenham tie down Son as Kane rumours swirl BREAKING NEWS: Tottenham tie down Son as Kane rumours swirl

    Son Heung-min has pledged his future to Tottenham, with the South Korea star signing a new contract to keep him at the club until 2025.

  • Bayern Munich announce Schalke charity match, pledge support to flood victims Bayern Munich announce Schalke charity match, pledge support to flood victims

    Bayern Munich will donate over €1million to support victims of this month's flash floods and storms in Germany, with a charity match against Schalke also scheduled.

    Parts of Germany and Belgium were heavily hit by floods over the last fortnight. Over 100 people are still missing, with Germany's official death toll standing at 177, while thousands more have been made homeless.

    Two of the worst-hit areas have been North Rhine-Westphalia and Rhineland-Palatinate, while storms have also caused disruption in Bavaria.

    In response, Bayern have pledged a minimum aid package of €1.1million, with €1m split between the regions in the west, and €100,000 going towards helping to repair damage in the south.

    The Bundesliga champions have also arranged to play a friendly against Schalke, who are based in the North Rhine-Westphalia city of Gelsenkirchen.

    Schalke were relegated to the second tier last season, though with the date for the charity game at Veltins Arena not yet confirmed, Bayern pledged the financial support immediately.

    "The images of the flood disaster shocked us," said Bayern president Herbert Hainer.

    "In such a terrible situation, we have to stick together as a society. Football also lives very much from solidarity and social responsibility. We can only guess what the people in the affected regions have gone through and continue to go through.

    "We also want to support them with our charity game and the donation ... is on the side of the flood victims.

    "I would like to thank FC Schalke 04 very much, Schalke immediately agreed to take part in our initiative. On the occasion of the charity game, together we will also commemorate the people who tragically lost their lives in the storm."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.