Musiala signs first pro contract with Bayern Munich until 2026

By Sports Desk March 05, 2021

Jamal Musiala has signed his first professional contract with Bayern Munich.

The rising Germany star has pledged his future to the Bundesliga champions until 2026, just a week after turning 18.

Musiala has made swift progress since joining from Chelsea two years ago and has made 26 appearances in all competitions this season for Hansi Flick's side.

At 17 years and 363 days old, he became Bayern's youngest Champions League goalscorer when he netted in the 4-1 last-16 first-leg win over Lazio.

"I'm really pleased to have signed my first professional contract at FC Bayern," Musiala said via the club's website. "I just feel very good at the club and in the team, I'm playing with the best players in the world and I can learn from them every day in training.

"Hansi Flick, [sporting director] Hasan Salihamidzic and [chief scout] Marco Neppe, along with the whole club, have believed in me and given me the chance very early on.

"I just want to repay that faith with good performances, keep getting better and win a lot more titles with FC Bayern. My aim is to become an important player for this club."

Salihamidzic said: "We're very happy that Jamal has decided to sign his first professional contract at FC Bayern on a long-term basis. This has been a joint effort.

"Before Jamal came to FC Bayern in summer 2019, we had to and were able to convince him and his family about our project. I am very pleased that our system of finding talented players, developing them and then integrating them into the first team is bearing fruit.

"Our chief scout Marco Neppe has played a significant role here. Now we must all ensure that Jamal continues to be nurtured and challenged. I am sure that he will bring a lot of joy to FC Bayern."

Musiala, who last month declared he will play for Germany at senior international level, has been tipped for a call-up to Joachim Low's squad for the coming international break.

Related items

  • Muller and Neuer lament Bayern's Champions League exit: It's very disappointing Muller and Neuer lament Bayern's Champions League exit: It's very disappointing

    Bayern Munich star Thomas Muller forthrightly blamed his side's first-leg result for their "very disappointing" Champions League exit at the hands of Paris Saint-Germain.

    Champions League holders Bayern won 1-0 in the quarter-final second leg in Paris on Tuesday, but were knocked out on away goals after losing 3-2 in Munich.

    Muller said the disappointment was big as he bemoaned Bayern's inability to take their chances when they had them against last season's runner-up PSG.

    "We didn't do ourselves any favours with the first leg result," Muller told Sky Germany. "The disappointment is big."

    Bayern are the third consecutive reigning Champions League winners to fail to reach at least the semi-final stage the following season in the competition, something that has not happened since four successive teams failed between 2004-05 and 2007-8 (Porto, Liverpool, Barcelona and Milan).

    Muller added: "We scored one goal too few to advance. The course of the game was different from Munich. We didn't have so much pressure in the early stages.

    "We then had the situation we wanted and scored the goal just before half-time. We had a few chances just before half-time that we didn't take for different reasons.

    "In the second half, the effort was always there, but the game was very disjointed. In the end, Paris has a great offence, but it's very disappointing that we got eliminated even though we won in Paris."

    Bayern goalkeeper Manuel Neuer reiterated that sentiment, ruing their first-leg defeat at home to the Ligue 1 champions.

    Hansi Flick's Bayern mustered 45 shots over their two clashes with PSG – the joint-most any team managed against an opponent in two games in the Champions League this season (level with Sevilla against Krasnodar).

    "It was not just because of today," Neuer said. "The 1-0 was deserved, but the result last week was not good enough.

    "It's annoying, especially if you look at the first game, where we missed many chances and conceded one or two goals too many.

    "All the players not here today were missed. It's difficult when you play against such a great team then. Still, we had a top team on the pitch that gave it everything."

  • PSG not Champions League favourites, insists Pochettino PSG not Champions League favourites, insists Pochettino

    Paris Saint-Germain head coach Mauricio Pochettino does not believe his team are favourites to win the Champions League after eliminating holders Bayern Munich.

    PSG advanced to the semi-finals for the second successive season on away goals after the blockbuster tie ended 3-3 following Tuesday's 1-0 loss at home to Bayern.

    Ligue 1 champions PSG exacted some revenge after moving through to the final four, having lost last season's decider to Bayern.

    PSG will face either Manchester City or Borussia Dortmund in the semis, while Chelsea are set to meet the winner of the Liverpool-Real Madrid clash.

    Pochettino, though, dismissed the idea that PSG are the main contender to win the Champions League this season.

    "I don't think so," Pochettino told reporters when asked if PSG are favourites. "We have beat Barcelona in last 16 in two games, we have beat Bayern now in two games too.

    "I think we deserved to win both ties, but I don't think PSG are the main contender to win Champions League. There are still rivals in. We have qualified and Chelsea did today as well.

    "We will see in the ties Man City versus Dortmund and Liverpool versus Real Madrid. Any team which is in semi-finals has the same options to win."

    PSG's elimination of Bayern is the first instance in Champions League history of the previous season's losing finalists eliminating the holders in the knockout stages.

    French giants PSG have reached the semi-finals for the second season in a row, after managing to reach the final four only once in their previous 11 campaigns in the competition before that – their first in 1994-95.

    PSG, though, failed to score at home in the Champions League for the first time in 24 games, since a 0-0 draw with Madrid in October 2015.

    Asked to pick between City and Dortmund, former Tottenham boss Pochettino – who led Spurs to the 2018-19 Champions League final – added: "We have faced Barcelona in last 16, playing two games, and we have disqualified Barca. We have also eliminated Bayern Munich in quarter-finals.

    "We don't choose one or other rival. The one we play, we will try to beat them. If you are wondering we can or not beat them, we will see."

  • Flick fails to commit to Bayern with cryptic comments after Champions League exit Flick fails to commit to Bayern with cryptic comments after Champions League exit

    Hansi Flick fuelled further speculation over his Bayern Munich future with ambiguous remarks in the aftermath of Tuesday's Champions League quarter-final exit at the hands of Paris Saint-Germain.

    Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting gave reigning European champions Bayern a 1-0 win on the night at Parc des Princes but a 3-3 aggregate scoreline saw them bow out on away goals after a thrilling contest.

    It means Flick will not add another Champions League to the six trophies he has lifted since succeeding Niko Kovac midway through last season, although Bayern are favourites to retain the Bundesliga once more.

    Nevertheless, rumours over both Flick's apparent interest in succeeding Joachim Low as Germany boss after the rescheduled Euro 2020 and a strained relationship with Bayern sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic have gathered pace.

    The 56-year-old, who has a contract with Bayern until 2023, insisted he had no issue with Salihamidzic but would offer no guarantees over his future plans, stating he is yet to speak to incoming chief executive Oliver Khan.

    "My relationship with Brazzo [Salihamidzic] is stable. Nothing will change that. He has his job, I have mine. I will keep doing as I have done all season, which is why everything is stable," Flick told Sky Deutschland.

    "I don't have an appointment. If Oliver wants to talk to me then he can gladly do it. I don't know what he will want to talk about.

    "The last few weeks, in terms of media, were not that easy. I never had anything new to say, so I think you have to respect a coach when he says he doesn't want to talk about these things anymore.

    "I have a contract with Bayern but you always have thoughts about how the future looks and if everything is working wonderfully here.

    "Whether I'm at the DFB [German Football Association] perhaps is irrelevant for my family. Whatever decision I make, they will support me. Having them behind me is a great feeling. I love the job and I can't imagine doing anything other than coaching.

    "It's all about developing the team. That's immensely important for me. I'm always thinking about that, success is a constant process. With the six titles we won. We have set an incredible benchmark. Whether at the DFB or Bayern, the pressure is huge."

    Speaking as part of Sky Deutschland's coverage of the PSG game, former Bayern and Germany midfielder Lothar Matthaus claimed Flick already has an offer to become Germany head coach, with Bayern turning their attentions to RB Leipzig coach Julian Nagelsmann.

    Matthaus stated Flick had now taken charge of his final Champions League game with Bayern and would step down after their last game of this Bundesliga season against Augsburg.

    On the game itself, Flick rued both Bayern's collective wastefulness in the first leg and Leroy Sane's failure to make the most of a glorious stoppage-time opening in Paris.

    "I think in the first leg in Munich, we scored too few. The third goal we conceded was one too many. 2-2 would have been enough," he added.

    "I was hoping we might strike late. Leroy had that chance at the end and perhaps should have gone alone rather than deciding to cross the ball low."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.