Sancho hailed by Terzic after Dortmund star's record-breaking Bundesliga display

By Sports Desk February 27, 2021

Borussia Dortmund interim head coach Edin Terzic lauded Jadon Sancho after he became the youngest Bundesliga player to reach 50 assists.

Sancho recorded his 50th assist in his 99th Bundesliga appearance as Dortmund defeated Arminia Bielefeld 3-0 on Saturday.

The 20-year-old England international, who continues to be linked with Premier League giants Manchester United, teed up Mahmoud Dahoud for the 48th-minute opener before converting a penalty 10 minutes later.

Reacting to the achievement, Sancho wrote via Twitter: "Solid win, goal and assist. Happy to be the youngest Bundesliga player to reach 50 assists."

After the match, Terzic told reporters: "I'm very happy how Jadon presents himself lately. He shows it as well with scorer-points.

"He scores again and gets assists in the recent weeks.  I talked about it a lot previously. It's not like he forgot how to play football. He's a young lad. We were very spoiled with how much he has done for the club in recent history.

"We tried to get him back into his form. There were two ways of doing that. First, via the way how we dealt with him personally, talking about a lot of things and having a lot of discussions in general. We also did individual analysis' of him. 

"Secondly we tried to help him as a team as well. We put him on the other side. He now comes a lot more from the left side instead. He does a lot of combinations here and there. Primarily today, with Giovanni Reyna, Jude Bellingham and Raphael Guerreiro.

"He has a lot of pace again. That's something that we missed in the past. Now he rewards himself again. We were able to create an atmosphere in training with him and everyone else where we can try and ask for a lot of aggression every day.

"He currently lives it and he rewards himself with his contributions and wins."

Dortmund, who have won back-to-back Bundesliga games, are fifth in the standings – three points adrift of the top four and 13 points behind leaders Bayern Munich.

Related items

  • Hitless in Seattle: Masterful Means enters MLB history books with no-hitter Hitless in Seattle: Masterful Means enters MLB history books with no-hitter

    Baltimore Orioles ace John Means entered the MLB history books after throwing a no-hitter against the Seattle Mariners.

    Means threw the Orioles' first solo no-hitter since Jim Palmer in 1969 as Baltimore blanked the Mariners 6-0 on Wednesday.

    It was an almost perfect performance for Means, who retired all 27 batters he faced in Seattle but did allow a baserunner when Sam Haggerty reached on a third-strike wild pitch in the third inning.

    Means is the first pitcher to throw a non-perfect no-hitter in which the team did not record a walk, hit by pitch or error.

    According to Stats Perform, Means is also the second pitcher in American League (AL) history to throw a no-hitter with 12-plus strikeouts and 0 walks, joining Felix Fernandez – who had a perfect game in 2012.

    "I can't put it into words right now. It's unbelievable," the 28-year-old and 2019 All-Star said afterwards.

    "I felt OK all game. I didn't really have the changeup till the end, but I'm glad I got it going."

    Means produced the third no-hitter of the season and the 10th in franchise history.

    San Diego Padres ace Joe Musgrove and Chicago White Sox star Carlos Rodon have also pitched no-hitters in 2021.

  • Champions League history-maker Tuchel says sacrifice to join Chelsea 'worth it every single day' Champions League history-maker Tuchel says sacrifice to join Chelsea 'worth it every single day'

    Thomas Tuchel said the sacrifice of leaving his family to take on the challenge of managing Chelsea has been "worth it every single day" after making history by guiding them to the Champions League final.

    The Blues progressed to the final for the third time in their history as a 2-0 win over Real Madrid clinched a 3-1 aggregate victory and a place in the Istanbul showpiece against Premier League rivals Manchester City on May 29.

    In doing so, Tuchel became the first manager in the history of the Champions League and European Cup to reach the final in consecutive seasons with different teams. Tuchel led Paris Saint-Germain to the final last year, only to lose 1-0 to Bayern Munich.

    Chelsea will also contest the FA Cup final against Leicester City on May 15 and hold a three-point lead over fifth-placed West Ham in the race for the Premier League top four.

    Tuchel has lost only two of his 24 games (W16, D6) since taking charge in January and insists he immediately felt right at home at Stamford Bridge.

    "It was worth it every single day so far," Tuchel said of the sacrifice he made.

    "I was part of an amazing club from the first day, I felt huge support from day one. I'm very grateful to be at the sideline of this team."

    Chelsea took a 1-0 lead through Timo Werner's simple 28th-minute header after Kai Havertz had struck the crossbar, but spurned several chances to stretch their lead as Havertz twice went close and Mason Mount and N'Golo Kante wasted opportunities.

    But Mount made the tie safe five minutes from time, becoming the second youngest Englishman to score in the semi-finals of the Champions League – aged 22 years and 15 days – after Wayne Rooney (21 years 182 days).

    "The heads were never down, the heads were always up even after these big chances," added Tuchel.

    "We always stayed positive and we never regret something so it was fantastic. The job is not done yet, we are in two finals now, the sacrifice I personally gave was worth it since day one."

    Chelsea beat Pep Guardiola's City in the FA Cup semi-finals and will face them again in the league on Saturday.

    Tuchel rejected the notion of that victory giving Chelsea the upper hand ahead of the final but said of the Wembley win: "It gives us a good feeling, it gives us confidence.

    "We played that semi-final on the edge and we used it. I said before and I will say it always for me Bayern Munich throughout the last season with Manchester City, they are the benchmark.

    "We wanted to close the gap in this one match, the semi-final, which we did on a very impressive performance and we will need the same level of performance again.

    "It gave us belief, it gave us self-confidence for every game after that because it is the highest level you can face. We have these huge challenges in the Premier League, we have come out of it very, very strong, we showed mentality and quality in all of these matches.

    "We will arrive with self-confidence and with the positive energy in Istanbul. We will arrive in Istanbul to win, not to be one of the participants, we arrive to be focused to win." 

  • 'Participants will face full force of the law' - JFF warns individuals taking part in illegal youth academy league 'Participants will face full force of the law' - JFF warns individuals taking part in illegal youth academy league

    The Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) has cautioned any players, officials or referees who take part in an illegally organised youth competition that they could face possible sanctions.

    A fixture list for a competition, which features several youth academy teams, that was scheduled to take place from May 1 to June 13, has come to light in recent days.  The teams listed on the flyer included Phoenix Academy, Kickers Academy, Baptist Alliance Academy, Pembroke Elite, Irvin Youth Academy, Aptitude Academy, and LAX.

    The competition venue listed was the Mona High school, which is the training base of Phoenix Academy.  The JFF, who is the only body capable of sanctioning official club competitions across the island, has made it clear it has given no permission for the event to be staged and demanded its immediate termination.

    The JFF themselves have not received permission to resume competition on the island by the Jamaican government, based on the existing COVID-19 protocols.

    “No permission has been granted for any tournament to go ahead, and all players, coaches and other individuals associated with any tournament do so illegally under the country’s disaster preparedness laws,” a release issued by the JFF read.

    “The JFF is therefore mandating all concerned with any tournament, youth or adult, to cease and desist all activities. Anybody found to be involved in any new activity will face the full force of the laws of the federation and will be reported to the Office of Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Management for their attention.”

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.