EFL

Bournemouth stick with Woodgate following links to Henry

By Sports Desk February 21, 2021

Bournemouth have confirmed Jonathan Woodgate will continue as head coach for the remainder of the season.

Woodgate was placed in temporary charge following the departure of Jason Tindall, having only joined the Championship club's staff at the start of February to replace Graeme Jones.

Since he stepped into the role, Bournemouth have won three of their five games and reached the last eight in the FA Cup for just the second time in their history.

The announcement that the former Leeds United and Real Madrid defender will remain in the post on a short-term basis comes after the Cherries were strongly linked with Thierry Henry.

"Jonathan's professionalism and leadership has impressed the board of directors since taking on the role of caretaker manager in difficult circumstances," Bournemouth chief executive Neill Blake said.

"As we head into a crucial part of the season, stability and clarity is of paramount importance for everyone at the club.

"With that in mind, and having concluded an extensive search for a new manager, we believe Jonathan is the best candidate to lead the team for the final 15 games of the season."

Henry is currently in charge at Montreal Impact, though media reports suggested Bournemouth had asked the MLS franchise for permission to speak to the former France international.

However, Woodgate - previously head coach at Middlesbrough, where he was sacked after less than a year in charge – has been given the task of trying to secure a return to the Premier League at the first attempt.

Despite Saturday's 2-1 defeat away at Queens Park Rangers, sixth-placed Bournemouth still occupy the final play-off spot in the Championship table.

Related items

  • England duo Mount and Chilwell told to isolate up to and including June 28 England duo Mount and Chilwell told to isolate up to and including June 28

    England duo Mason Mount and Ben Chilwell will miss the match with the Czech Republic and must self-isolate up to and including June 28.

    It was confirmed on Monday that the Chelsea players had begun isolating after being deemed close contacts of Billy Gilmour, who tested positive for coronavirus after Scotland's 0-0 draw with England at Wembley last Friday.

    The Football Association said the precautions had been taken after consultation with Public Health England, despite both players returning negative PCR and lateral flow test results.

    On Tuesday, the FA said Chilwell and Mount will train individually in private areas of England's St. George's Park base, where the rest of the squad will return after their final Group D match with the Czech Republic.

    It means that, should England win and top the group, Mount and Chilwell will miss the last-16 match, which takes place on June 29.

    If Gareth Southgate's side fail to take three points, they will finish second in the group behind the Czech Republic, meaning their first knockout match will be on June 28.

    England said via Twitter: "We can confirm that Ben Chilwell and Mason Mount must isolate up to and including next Monday [28 June]. This decision has been taken in consultation with Public Health England.

    "The pair were confirmed overnight as close contacts of Scotland’s Billy Gilmour after his positive test following last Friday's match.

    "Chilwell and Mount will isolate and train individually in private areas at England’s training base St. George's Park, with the rest of the squad returning there after tonight's fixture against Czech Republic at Wembley.

    "We will continue to follow all COVID-19 protocols and the UEFA testing regime, while remaining in close contact with PHE.

    "The entire England squad and staff had lateral flow tests on Monday and all were again negative, as was the case with Sunday's UEFA pre-match PCR tests. 

    "Further tests will be carried out as and when appropriate."

  • UEFA turns down request for 'rainbow lights' at Allianz Arena for political reasons UEFA turns down request for 'rainbow lights' at Allianz Arena for political reasons

    UEFA has rejected a request for Germany to light up the Allianz Arena in rainbow colours for Wednesday's Euro 2020 clash with Hungary because of political reasons.

    Mayor of Munich Dieter Reiter said on Sunday that he has asked UEFA for permission to illuminate the stadium in support of the LGBTQ+ community.

    Reiter made the request after Hungary passed a law that prohibits the sharing of content in schools that could be deemed to promote homosexuality and gender change.

    However, while UEFA understands the gesture, European football's governing body has proposed alternative dates for the stadium to be lit up, rather than on the day of the Hungary game.

    "Racism, homophobia, sexism, and all forms of discrimination are a stain on our societies – and represent one of the biggest problems faced by the game today," read a UEFA statement on Tuesday.

    "Discriminatory behaviour has marred both matches themselves and, outside the stadiums, the online discourse around the sport we love.

    "However UEFA, through its statutes, is a politically and religiously neutral organisation. Given the political context of this specific request – a message aiming at a decision taken by the Hungarian national parliament – UEFA must decline this request.

    "UEFA has nevertheless proposed to the city of Munich to illuminate the stadium with the rainbow colours on either 28 June – the Christopher Street Liberation Day – or between 3 and 9 July which is the Christopher Street Day week in Munich."

    Christopher Street Day is an annual European LGBTQ+ celebration and demonstration held in various cities across Europe for the rights of the LGBTQ+ community.

    UEFA last week opened an investigation into Germany goalkeeper Manuel Neuer wearing a rainbow-coloured captain's armband in his side's opening two Euro 2020 fixtures against France and Portugal.

    But amid widespread criticism, the probe was halted after the governing body deemed it "a good cause".

  • UEFA has no plans to move Euro 2020 semi-finals and final from Wembley UEFA has no plans to move Euro 2020 semi-finals and final from Wembley

    UEFA insists there are no plans to move the Euro 2020 semi-finals and final away from Wembley.

    England's national stadium is due to host five knockout matches, but UEFA confirmed last week there is a "contingency plan" in place should overseas supporters be forced to quarantine for 10 days in line with coronavirus protocols in the United Kingdom.

    Cases of COVID-19 have been increasing in recent weeks in the UK, fuelled by the Delta variant first identified in India, with a further 10,633 positive tests on Monday.

    Recent reports suggested UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin was prepared to move the semi-finals and final to Budapest, while Italian prime minister Mario Draghi has called for the prestige fixtures to be played elsewhere, with Rome touted as another alternative.

    However, European football's governing body remains committed to staging the tournament's three biggest fixtures at Wembley.

    "UEFA, the English FA and the English authorities are working closely together successfully to stage the semi-finals and final of Euro 2020 at Wembley and there are no plans to change the venue for those games," a UEFA spokesman said on Tuesday.

    The semi-finals are set to take place on July 6 and 7 before the final on July 11.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.