Ajax goalkeeper Onana given 12-month doping ban

By Sports Desk February 05, 2021

Ajax goalkeeper Andre Onana has been suspended for 12 months by UEFA due to a doping violation, the Eredivisie club have confirmed.

Ajax and Onana will appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) to overturn the ban, imposed after an out-of-competition test in October 2020 found the substance Furosemide in the player's urine.

The club said the test result was due to Onana, 24, mistakenly taking Lasimac – a drug prescribed to his wife – when he felt unwell.

UEFA therefore accepted Onana "had no intention of cheating", an Ajax statement read.

It added: "However, UEFA believes, on the basis of the applicable anti-doping rules, that an athlete has a duty at all times to ensure that no banned substances enter the body."

The suspension is effective from Friday and applies to "all football activities, both national and international".

Ajax managing director Edwin van der Sar said: "We explicitly renounce performance-enhancing drugs, we obviously stand for a clean sport.

"This is a terrible setback, for Andre himself but certainly also for us as a club. Andre is a top goalkeeper, who has proven his worth for Ajax for years and is very popular with the fans.

"We had hoped for a conditional suspension or for a suspension much shorter than these 12 months, because it was arguably not intended to strengthen his body and thus improve his performance."

Cameroon international Onana has been a key man for Ajax since his debut in 2016-17, playing his part in runs to the Europa League final and Champions League semi-finals.

His absence is the latest blow to Ajax, who earlier confirmed they would be unable to correct the administrative error that saw Sebastian Haller left out of their Europa League squad.

Haller, signed from West Ham for a club-record €22.5million last month, was not included in Ajax's initial list for European competition for the second half of the season.

Coach Erik ten Haag described the mistake as "an administrative error with major consequences" and "an incredible setback" for the player, although he confirmed Ajax would be addressing the matter with UEFA.

However, a further club statement has now confirmed UEFA sent "a final message" to say Haller could not be added to the group.

Haller has scored two goals in his first seven games for Ajax in all competitions.

Related items

  • Montego Bay United forward Beckford secures loan move to USL's Colorado Switchbacks Montego Bay United forward Beckford secures loan move to USL's Colorado Switchbacks

    Former Jamaica U-23 and Montego Bay United forward, Deshane Beckford, is expected to join USL Championship club Colorado Switchbacks on a season-long loan.

    The move will mark the second for the Jamaica national over the past several years, after first joining the Rio Grande Valley FC Toros at the end of 2019.  Beckford also spent the 2020 season with the Toros.

    In 22 USL Championship appearances, the forward has scored three goals.  Brown put himself on the radar of the USL after a strong performance at the 2019 Pan American Games where he scored three goals for Jamaica in three games.  The forward also previously represented Jamaica at the U-17 level.

    The move remains dependent on the player renewing a work visa, but Beckford expressed delight with the opportunity to continue plying his trade in the US second division.

     “I'm grateful to be a part of the Switchbacks, the players and staff have been really positive,” Beckford told USL Championship.com.

     “I'm excited for the upcoming season.”

    The 23-year-old previously trialed for West Ham in 2015.  Colorado Springs coach Brendan Burke welcomed Beckford’s addition to the line-up.

    “Deshane is a player that impressed us immensely during his performance with the Jamaican U23 team in the Pan American Games,” Burke said.

    “His pace, soft feet, and nose for goal should add another weapon to our still-evolving group of forwards.”

  • Kudela ban is 'pinnacle of hypocrisy', says senior Czech politican Kudela ban is 'pinnacle of hypocrisy', says senior Czech politican

    Ondrej Kudela's 10-game UEFA ban for "racist behaviour" was designed to "fulfill the perverted expectations of a small group of activists," according to a senior politician in the Czech Republic. 

    Slavia Prague's Kudela was sanctioned on Wednesday after initially receiving a one-match ban by UEFA's Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body for "insulting players or others present at the match" after an altercation with Rangers' Glen Kamara. 

    Kudela and Slavia strenuously denied the accusations levelled by Kamara in March, with the Czech Republic international alleged to have made a racist comment while covering his mouth towards the end of an ill-tempered round-of-16 second leg that Rangers lost 2-0, eliminating them from the competition.

    Slavia accused Kamara of attacking Kudela inside the stadium after the game and UEFA also took action against the Rangers midfielder, suspending him for three games. 

    Vratislav Mynar, head of the office of the president of the Czech Republic, has responded furiously to Kudela's suspension, describing it as "the pinnacle of hypocrisy". 

    "I note that racism is unproven and alleged," he wrote in an open letter to UEFA on the president of the Czech Republic's official website. 

    "The UEFA inspector himself questioned that Ondrej Kudela had made a racist statement. Nevertheless, you have decided on a completely unprecedented punishment for a player who did not harm anyone and only verbally – according to his statement – offended his opponent. 

    "You condemn a decent person without a single piece of evidence. All this just to fulfill the perverted expectations of a small group of activists and a club unable to win on the field, all the more so by shouting empty and hurtful phrases about racism.

    "In your submission, the fight against racism has become the fight of the unsuccessful against the successful, the pinnacle of hypocrisy and positive discrimination.

    "Your efforts can lead to the opposite; a situation where a person with a colour other than black will be discriminated against, oppressed and deprived of their rights. That is why I also consider it necessary to oppose this procedure."

    Mynar also said Czech president, Milos Zeman, was aware of the incident and considers it to be an important issue of "human dignity".

    "I very much appreciate the fact that the Czech public does not identify with your verdict, across the whole society." he added. "On the contrary, even if only for a short time, you have managed to unite ancient rivals. We will not kneel before you and no threats apply to the Czech football fan.

    "The president of the Republic, Milos Zeman, is acquainted with the situation in detail and considers it important not only from the point of view of sport, but also from the point of view of justice and human dignity. 

    "It expresses belonging to all citizens of the Czech Republic who follow this case and are disappointed during it. At the same time, he wishes all players and fans not to be discouraged by the whole affair and to continue to support their team so valiantly."

  • Rumour Has It: Declan Rice eyeing Man Utd move Rumour Has It: Declan Rice eyeing Man Utd move

    Declan Rice may be looking to make a move to Manchester United from resurgent West Ham. 

    The 22-year-old midfielder talked to United players during last month's international break as England won their opening three World Cup qualifiers.

    The Red Devils could be in need of midfield help if Paul Pogba leaves at the end of the season.

     

    TOP STORY - RICE TO RED DEVILS

    England international Declan Rice is interested in swapping West Ham for Manchester United, the Manchester Evening News reports. 

    During the recent international break, he spoke with Harry Maguire and Luke Shaw about the atmosphere at the club. 

    Rice is under contract with the Hammers through to 2024 but could be prised away for the right price. 

    David Moyes has said Rice could net £100 million for the London club. 

     

    ROUND-UP

    - Barcelona have made prolific Borussia Dortmund striker Erling Haaland their primary transfer target, according to Marca. Barca are willing to wait until the end of next season to get their man.

    - Brest defender Romain Perraud has the attention of Leeds United and Lyon, according to the Daily Mail. Perraud would shore up the defence of either club while serving as a potential asset going forward; he has three goals and six assists this season.

    - Goal reports Jesse Lingard is yet to decide whether he wants to make West Ham his permanent home as he continues to enjoy a stunning spell on loan from Manchester United.

    - Lyon center back and Danish international Joachim Andersen, currently on loan to Fulham, is drawing interest from Tottenham and Manchester United, B.T. reports, with Chelsea, Leicester City and Crystal Palace also potential destinations.

    Charles De Ketelaere may be on the move from Bruges, with Milan and Atalanta both potential landing spots, according to Calciomercato. 

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.