Real Madrid striker Benzema facing trial in attempted blackmail case

By Sports Desk January 07, 2021

Karim Benzema will stand trial for his alleged involvement in an attempted blackmail case targeting former France team-mate Mathieu Valbuena over a sex tape.

Prosecutors in Versailles confirmed the development regarding the Real Madrid striker and four others on Thursday, according to reports in France.

Benzema, who denies any wrongdoing, was charged in 2015 in relation to the incident. He previously appealed against the charge but is now set for trial.

"The decision to take this to trial is absurd and unfair," Sylvain Cormier, his lawyer, told EFE. "Benzema doesn't have anything to be blamed for."

Paul-Albert Iweins, Valbuena's counsel, told L'Equipe the decision was "the logical continuation of the instruction which perfectly established the participation of the various people".

The incident has since seen Benzema exiled from the France national team.

Related items

  • Melbourne Victory 1-2 Macarthur: Bulls rally to reach third Melbourne Victory 1-2 Macarthur: Bulls rally to reach third

    Macarthur came from behind to claim an entertaining 2-1 win at Melbourne Victory and climb to third in the A-League.

    In the sides' first ever meeting, the Bulls made the most of their hosts' defensive woes, although they scored with two of only three shots on target.

    Victory led against the run of play when Rudy Gestede – deemed just onside by a VAR review – won a header to play in Elvis Kamsoba, who blasted in his second goal of the season from the left side of the area.

    That advantage lasted only eight minutes, however, as Markel Susaeta's shot from a tight angle deflected off Nicholas Ansell and high past Matthew Acton.

    The struggling home side then enjoyed their best spell with a series of chances, including a Jake Brimmer free-kick that bounced away off the crossbar.

    But Macarthur, who finished with 59.9 per cent of the possession, were back in control after half-time.

    Although James Meredith handled before Jake McGing scored, seeing the goal ruled out, the guilty party made amends when he headed in himself from Benat Etxebarria's corner.

    That goal was the 50th Victory have conceded this season – by far the most in the division – and it settled the match despite a late opportunity for Gestede from which Adam Federici saved well.

  • Mourinho suits Serie A and can be success at Roma, says ex-Inter star Mourinho suits Serie A and can be success at Roma, says ex-Inter star

    Jose Mourinho is a good fit in Serie A and could be the man to take Roma back to the top, according to former Inter midfielder Ciriaco Sforza.

    Mourinho was this week appointed as Roma's head coach for next season, replacing Paulo Fonseca.

    It is a return to Italy for a coach who celebrated the treble with Inter in 2009-10 before departing, having also won the league in the previous campaign.

    Mourinho won 62.0 per cent of his 108 games in charge of the Nerazzurri, yet standards have since slipped.

    The Portuguese lasted only 86 matches at Tottenham, winning a disappointing 51.2 per cent, before his dismissal last month.

    But Sforza, who reached the 1997 UEFA Cup final with Inter, believes both Mourinho and Italian football can benefit from their reunion.

    For Roma, who are without a Scudetto in 20 years and have not claimed a major trophy since 2008, the appointment might herald a long-awaited era of success.

    "Mourinho is Mourinho. He will always remain the 'Special One'," Sforza told Stats Perform.

    "You can't turn down an offer by AS Roma, and Italy is also a country where he has won everything. I also think that Mourinho fits in well in Italy mentality-wise.

    "Roma is a team with a big tradition and they will build a new stadium. They have fantastic fans, so that fits.

    "I also wish him the best of luck because he carries football in his heart. He always wants to win, he has this mentality. And this is great for Serie A.

    "Italy needs people like this, Italy needs talent, which they have in the national team but they also need it in the teams.

    "When you look at Roma, they always have big talents that don't progress. I think they will be able to progress now with Mourinho."

    The Giallorossi have 27 points to make up to Inter, however, with Mourinho's former club confirmed as Serie A champions on Sunday.

    It was Inter's first title since Mourinho's treble triumph, but Antonio Conte's record at San Siro is marginally even more impressive than that of his old rival.

    Conte has won 62.2 per cent of his 98 games in charge, putting an end to Juventus' run of nine straight Scudetti.

    Asked if he had anticipated this success, Sforza said: "To be honest, no. I know what it is like at Inter at the moment, there is a little bit of turmoil.

    "But Conte and his coaching staff have managed to bring in this discipline, this hunger and winning mentality. He did that with brilliance.

    "He followed his line and not the line of journalists and that brought him the success.

    "I think they can establish themselves there, because they have a great manager, who knows what he wants and what he is capable of.

    "I think through the support of the fans, the 'tifosi', and I think there will be support arriving in summer, they will do well and fight for the title again."

  • Hayne jailed for sexual assault Hayne jailed for sexual assault

    Jarryd Hayne has been sentenced to five years and nine months in jail for sexually assaulting a woman.

    The former Australia and Fiji rugby league international was found guilty of two counts of sexual intercourse without consent at a retrial at NSW District Court in March after the original trial failed to reach a majority verdict.

    Hayne faced a maximum sentence of 14 years in jail when he appeared at Newcastle District Court on Thursday.

    The 33-year-old was given an aggregate term of imprisonment of five years and nine months to commence on May 6.

    Hayne, who played for Parramatta Eels and Gold Coast Titans, as well as having a stint in the NFL with the San Francisco 49ers, will be eligible for parole in January 2025.

    He had maintained in court that he was not guilty of sexually assaulting the woman at her home in 2018, while claimed he was about to sign a lucrative one-year deal to continue his NRL career before being charged by police in November 2018.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.