Neymar ruled out by PSG until January

By Sports Desk December 19, 2020

Neymar will not play again for Paris Saint-Germain this year but should be back in action in January after his ankle injury scare.

There were fears the Brazilian had suffered a break when he had to be carried off on a stretcher in last Sunday's Ligue 1 match against Lyon.

Neymar was tackled by Lyon's Thiago Mendes, who was sent off following a VAR review, but concerns for the striker's well-being were eased when the injury was diagnosed as a sprain.

He missed the match against Lorient on Wednesday and will now play no part in Sunday's clash at Lille or the home game three days later against Strasbourg.

The former Barcelona forward was named in a PSG medical bulletin on Saturday, with the club stating: "Following the sprain to his left ankle, there is some bruising to the bone and he continues to undergo treatment at the training ground.

"He is expected to make his return in January."

Coach Thomas Tuchel previously expressed hope that Neymar could be involved before the short winter break; however, the trip to Saint-Etienne on January 6 now appears to be the earliest point at which he might return to action.

PSG also said midfielder Danilo Pereira, hit by a hamstring blow, should be back on first-team duty in January, while Neymar's fellow striker Mauro Icardi is set to return from an adductor problem "in the coming days".

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Bayern targeting Camavinga as Spurs eye Nagelsmann and Sarri Rumour Has It: Bayern targeting Camavinga as Spurs eye Nagelsmann and Sarri

    France, Spain or Germany?

    Eduardo Camavinga has admirers following his exploits for Rennes in Ligue 1.

    Some of Europe's biggest clubs are interested, but could he be set for Bavaria?

     

    TOP STORY – CAMAVINGA WANTED IN GERMANY

    Bayern Munich are hoping to sign Rennes sensation Eduardo Camavinga, according to France Football.

    Camavinga is unwilling to extend his Rennes contract and the 18-year-old has been linked with Real Madrid, Manchester United, Paris Saint-Germain and Arsenal.

    Borussia Monchengladbach's Florian Neuhaus is also on Bayern's list, though the Bundesliga champions reportedly feel Camavinga could be better value for money.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - Who will permanently replace Jose Mourinho as Tottenham head coach following his sacking on Monday? Football Italia claims Spurs have contacted former Juventus, Chelsea and Napoli boss Maurizio Sarri. The Daily Mail, however, reports RB Leipzig's Julian Nagelsmann is Tottenham's top candidate.

    - La Razon says West Ham are leading the race to sign Sevilla forward Youssef En-Nesyri, who has also been linked with United and Liverpool.

    PSG are the most likely suitors for Arsenal full-back Hector Bellerin, according to Sport. Bellerin is likely to leave the Gunners and he has been linked to Barcelona.

    - Sport says Barca's plans depend on Lionel Messi's future. Messi is out of contract at the end of the season, but president Joan Laporta is keen to re-sign the superstar amid reported interest from PSG and Manchester City. It comes as Barca target Borussia Dortmund star Erling Haaland, who has also been linked with rivals Real Madrid, United, City, Chelsea, Liverpool, PSG and Juventus. Lyon captain Memphis Depay, City's Sergio Aguero and Liverpool midfielder Georginio Wijnaldum are also reportedly wanted at Camp Nou.

  • Madrid president Perez addresses Haaland and Mbappe speculation while ruling out Ronaldo return Madrid president Perez addresses Haaland and Mbappe speculation while ruling out Ronaldo return

    Real Madrid president Florentino Perez said he will do everything possible so the LaLiga giants do not lose their "rightful place" as one of the world's leading clubs amid strong links with Paris Saint-Germain star Kylian Mbappe and Borussia Dortmund sensation Erling Haaland.

    Madrid have long been linked with PSG's Mbappe, while in-demand Dortmund forward Haaland has emerged as a transfer target in the Spanish capital.

    While discussing the new European Super League, which he is chairman of, Perez addressed the speculation regarding Mbappe and Haaland.

    "The fans always ask me to buy Mbappe," Perez told El Chiringuito. "My answer? I say: don't worry... the truth is that he is a good player, yes.

    "I've never talked to Mbappe. At least now... I don't know what's going to happen to his contract with PSG."

    On Haaland, who has also been linked with Barcelona, Manchester City, Manchester United, PSG, Chelsea, Liverpool and Juventus, Perez added: "Haaland's father has visited our training ground Valdebebas, yes.

    "Everyone has always had the same reaction: never seen anything like this.

    "Haaland and Mbappe are two excellent players but what [Lionel] Messi and [Cristiano] Ronaldo have done is incredible."

    Perez, though, ruled out a reunion with the club's all-time leading goalscorer Cristiano Ronaldo in Madrid.

    Ronaldo – who left Madrid for Juventus in 2018 – has been tipped to depart Turin and a Los Blancos comeback has emerged as a possible option for the five-time Ballon d'Or winner.

    But Perez said: "Cristiano Ronaldo will not come back at Real Madrid.

    "It does not makes sense, he has a contract with Juventus. I love him a lot, he has given us a lot."

    Perez was also asked about the future of Madrid captain Sergio Ramos, who is out of contract at the end of the season.

    The 35-year-old Ramos is yet to re-sign at the Santiago Bernabeu amid reported interest from the likes of United, PSG and Chelsea.

    "I love Sergio Ramos, but we are in a very bad financial situation at Real Madrid," added Perez, who insisted Vinicius Junior is not for sale. "Nobody puts money into this club.

    "Will he leave the club? I didn't say that... many things can happen. We will think about it at the end of the season."

  • European Super League: What the domestic leagues will look like if the 12 are expelled European Super League: What the domestic leagues will look like if the 12 are expelled

    Sunday's announcement of a long-feared European 'Super League' raised the possibility of unprecedented change in football, with the 12 founding clubs seemingly at threat of being kicked out of other competitions as a result.

    The Premier League's so-called "big six", Spanish giants Real Madrid, Barcelona and Atletico Madrid and Serie A trio Juventus, Milan and Inter have broken ranks and agreed to the formation of the breakaway competition.

    Sunday's uniform announcement from most of the clubs involved confirmed the Super League will be made up of 15 founding clubs – with three to be added to the initial 12 – and unconfirmed guest teams.

    It will run as a midweek tournament alongside the teams' respective domestic leagues and guarantees the founding clubs a share of €3.5billion "solely to support their infrastructure investment plans and to offset the impact of the COVID pandemic".

    But, pre-empting the announcement following widespread media speculation, UEFA released a statement co-signed by the national associations of England, Spain and Italy, and those countries' respective top-flight leagues. It reiterated a threat to ban players and teams involved from competing in other competitions.

    While that is a debate that will rage on for some time, with the legality of such measures unclear for the moment, it raises the possibility of a Premier League without its "big six", a LaLiga missing Barcelona and Real Madrid, and Serie A expelling Juve, Milan and Inter.

    With that in mind, we looked at what those three divisions would look like in the – admittedly unlikely – event that the 12 Super League clubs are expelled and results involving them are expunged…

    Premier League

    Who'd have thought in 2013 when he was appointed as Alex Ferguson's successor at Manchester United that David Moyes' first Premier League title would come as West Ham boss?

    Well, if the "big six" were expelled and their results were void, it would be the Hammers sitting at the top of the pile – and by some distance.

    Moyes' men would be on 49 points from 21 matches having suffered just two defeats.

    Curiously, the exclusion of the Super League clubs would seemingly harm Leicester City, as they have lost just three matches to them in 2020-21 – West Ham have been beaten seven times by "big six" opposition.

    Nevertheless, Leicester would still be on course to get back in the Champions League. Leeds United (1.8) and Everton (1.6) would appear to be the favourites to join them, by virtue of their better points-per-game record than Aston Villa (1.5).

    LaLiga

    Fair play to Real Betis, who have already embraced a future without Madrid, Atletico and Barcelona by deleting them from the Liga table that sits on their website.

    Unfortunately for Betis, that same table now has their bitter rivals Sevilla sitting pretty at the summit.

    In fact, Sevilla probably shouldn't be ruled out of the real title race just yet given they are actually only six points behind leaders Atletico and still have to face Zinedine Zidane's Madrid.

    In our LaLiga table excluding the "big three", Sevilla have 60 points from 26 games, giving them a 13-point lead over Villarreal.

    It also highlights just how bad Los Nervionenses' record against Madrid, Barca and Atletico is, as they have taken just four points from them this term.

    Rounding off the top four would be Betis in third and Real Sociedad in fourth.

    Serie A

    Juventus' stranglehold on Serie A looks set to end regardless of any action from UEFA and the league. Having won each of the previous nine Scudetti, the Old Lady have been dire under Andrea Pirlo for much of the season.

    So, helping establish a new semi-closed competition under the guise of needing better opponents is the logical step…

    While Atalanta would sit top of a Serie A without Juve, Inter and Milan, technically it's Lazio who would be on course for title success.

    The Biancocelesti have played a game less than Atalanta but would only be behind them on goal difference – their points-per-game record is 2.24, slightly more than the Bergamo side's 2.15.

    Napoli (2.12) and Roma (1.96) would remain in the running as well were the "big three" to be dumped out of the competition.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.