Stadio Diego Armando Maradona – Napoli stadium officially renamed in tribute to club legend

By Sports Desk December 04, 2020

Napoli's stadium has officially been renamed in honour of Diego Maradona, the Municipality of Naples announced on Friday. 

The sporting world was shaken last week when Argentina great Maradona – widely considered to be one of football's greatest ever players – died at the age of 60 after suffering heart failure.

A World Cup winner with Argentina, Maradona enjoyed stunning success in Naples, where he guided Napoli to unprecedented Serie A glory in 1986-87, and then again in 1989-90. The Partenopei are yet to add to their only two Scudetto honours.

Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis said last week it would be "right" to rename Stadio San Paolo after the Argentinian and the Naples city council on Friday unanimously approved a resolution that will change its name to Stadio Diego Armando Maradona.

The change still needs to be authorised by the Prefect of the Province of Naples, but that is expected to be a formality.

"With a resolution approved today, the stadium was named after Diego Armando Maradona," the Municipality said in a statement.

"Shortly before the executive committee meeting, the advisory commission for city toponymy had approved the proposal of the mayor, the councillor for toponymy Alessandra Clemente and the city council, naming the Stadio San Paolo after Diego Armando Maradona with the name Stadio Diego Armando Maradona."

Maradona won 91 caps for Argentina between 1977 and 1994, scoring 34 goals at international level.

He started his career with Argentinos Juniors, before joining Boca Juniors and going on to play for Barcelona, Sevilla and Newell's Old Boys, as well as Napoli, before returning to La Bombonera in 1995.

Maradona also had stints in charge of Textil Mandiyu, Racing Club, Al-Wasl, Fujairah and Dorados de Sinaloa in Mexico before being appointed head coach by Gimnasia y Esgrima La Plata last year.

He remained Gimnasia coach until his death.

Related items

  • European Super League: Milan chief Gazidis claims breakaway will 'capture the imagination' European Super League: Milan chief Gazidis claims breakaway will 'capture the imagination'

    Milan are "proud" to be part of Serie A but their chief executive Ivan Gazidis believes the European Super League will open up football to billions of fans.

    The Rossoneri, along with Juventus and Inter, were among 12 teams included in Sunday's seismic Super League announcement.

    Reaction has been sustained and vitriolic, with UEFA, FIFA and the Premier League among those to condemn the plans, alongside Jurgen Klopp and Pep Guardiola – despite Liverpool and Manchester City also being on the initial roster.

    Those involved have been accused of undermining their domestic competitions, by foregoing the challenge of qualifying for continental competitions in favour of a closed-shop arrangement.

    Nevertheless, Gazidis sought to reaffirm his club's commitment to Italy's top flight in a letter to commercial partners and sponsors.

    "Serie A will remain the most important weekend competition in Italy and Milan are proud to remain an important part of the pinnacle of Italian football," he said.

    "We're confident that this new competition will capture the imagination of billions of football fans all over the world and will be a new, exciting chapter for the game.

    "The Super League will provide value and support to the whole football pyramid with greater financial resources."

    Milan are back in action at home to Sassuolo on Wednesday, with solidifying a spot in the top four the priority for head coach Stefano Pioli – irrespective of what that might now mean in the greater scheme of things.

    “Milan have never finished top four in the last few years. It would be an important target for us that would prove our growth,” Pioli told a pre-match news conference.

    “We have a target, and it's an important one. We are focused on this. We'll see what happens in the future. I repeat, this is not the right time to talk about the Super League."

  • European Super League: Trezeguet says domestic leagues 'will lose their charm' European Super League: Trezeguet says domestic leagues 'will lose their charm'

    David Trezeguet believes domestic leagues will "lose their charm" and suffer huge damage as a result of the European Super League.

    The 12 founding clubs of the breakaway competition have indicated they want to remain in their domestic leagues, despite threats of severe punishments.

    But World Cup winner Trezeguet, whose former club Juventus are among the group, thinks the excitement will disappear from the Premier League, LaLiga and Serie A.

    He also fears for the Champions League's lustre should UEFA attempt to continue with it if the European Super League is ultimately launched.

    Trezeguet said to Stats Perform News: "From an emotional side it is nice to conquer your right to play in the Champions League and Europa League on the pitch. 

    "At the moment in Italy we discuss if Juventus can qualify, if Napoli can overtake them, if Lazio can get closer. 

    "All these everyday chats will be lost because with the Super League you already know those three clubs [Juventus, Inter and Milan] will be in and maybe somebody else will be added.

    "Although they clearly stated they would go on, domestic leagues will lose their charm.

    "You lose the charm of understanding clubs' goals... who aims at Champions League? Who at the Europa League? And other goals.

    "And the Champions League will lose these 12 big clubs who boast a big enchantment on marketing and fans." 

    But Trezeguet understands why top clubs would be tempted by the huge financial rewards on offer after the coronavirus pandemic.

    He added: "Read the economic value of the Super League and what Florentino Perez said [about huge financial losses]. If these are the losses, they are huge and they are due to the pandemic. 

    "My opinion is divided. They even said they don't want to give up on other [clubs] - this is yet to be verified. 

    "If you read those figures, you see a big leap in quality [of finances] for these 12 clubs but whether they will help the others is yet to be seen. 

    "But from an emotional point of view I don't agree because you lose the principle of qualifying on the pitch. 

    "We all know for sure that football has become a big business but lest we forget the sporting side of this game. 

    "Earning your titles, playing a high-level season that makes you qualify for European cups - this is a job well done. 

    "I know these big clubs are used to playing at such levels.

    "But from an emotional viewpoint I am perplexed because you already know these three clubs [in Italy or Spain] will be automatically qualified regardless of their seasonal path in the league."

    Trezeguet foresees a lengthy political battle ahead and is unsure whether players and fans will ultimately be listened to.

    He added: "It will be a long bureaucratic clash and it is not a surprise. The Super League on one hand and the UEFA on the other have been very clear. 

    "They have both their ideas and formats and the economic part should not be forgotten since these figures [for losses] are huge.

    "First we have to see if they will be able to do the Super League as I was watching Leeds v Liverpool and already you can see fans were emotional. 

    "And the UEFA president gave a speech that was more emotional than concrete about treason, wrong ideas, phone calls unreturned.

    "But it is true that we are entering in a critical moment. UEFA and FIFA were straightforward on this from a sporting point of view. 

    "Politicians in very important football countries like France, Germany and England have opposed the Super League. 

    "Even in Italy and Spain the prime minister and the ministers have backed UEFA rather than the Super League. Now it is politics.

    "The players will be the least listened to - this Super League has been decided without even consulting the players or the fans. 

    "What has struck me is fans and players coming forward very clearly against it. Will it go on regardless? We'll see."

  • European Super League: Agnelli told Juventus to 'earn' Champions League place - Pirlo European Super League: Agnelli told Juventus to 'earn' Champions League place - Pirlo

    Andrea Pirlo and his Juventus team are "calm" about the club's involvement in the breakaway European Super League and remain focused on first qualifying for the Champions League.

    Juve were among 12 elite clubs to announce plans to launch a lucrative new continental competition on Sunday. All founding clubs would controversially be guaranteed participation every season.

    Bianconeri chairman Andrea Agnelli is at the forefront of the plans, prompting criticism from UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin, who is charged with organising the rival Champions League.

    Ceferin has made a number of threats towards the dozen clubs involved, including the suggestion their players could be banned from international fixtures.

    But Pirlo is confident the saga is not providing a distraction ahead of Juve's game on Wednesday against Parma, who they could beat in four successive Serie A meetings for the first time.

    Three points would be particularly precious with Pirlo's men in fourth, struggling to qualify for the Champions League.

    While Super League proposals suggested a swift start to the new tournament, meaning Juve would no longer play in UEFA's competition, Agnelli has encouraged the players to ensure they finish in the top four this term.

    "We are focused on what we need to do and that is to qualify for the Champions League," Pirlo said.

    "This morning the president told us about the Super League. We are calm, because the president is planning this thing, but we have to think about the present, which is qualification for the Champions League.

    "[The Super League] is a development for the world of football. There's been a lot of change over the years, but I'm not the right person to explain this.

    "The president is at the forefront and he will be better able to explain things as they are these days, as the other presidents are doing.

    "I didn't hear anything further from the president, because we see him most days and so he's always been close to the team.

    "He explained the project to us broadly, not in detail, but he gave us great confidence and told us that the most important thing is to continue our work to earn the Champions League on the field.

    "For now, [the Super League] is just a project and [the players] have to rest easy because football goes on.

    "They know that the present is tomorrow's game and they must focus on the present and Parma."

    Juve have lost five of their 31 league games so far this season, their most at this stage of a campaign since 2010-11 (nine) - the last time the title went anywhere other Turin.

    The most recent of those defeats came last time out against Atalanta, but Pirlo was without Cristiano Ronaldo.

    The coach confirmed Ronaldo, along with Gianluigi Buffon and Paulo Dybala, would start against Parma, one of the superstar forward's favourite opponents.

    He has scored two or more goals in three games against Parma in Serie A. Against no side has he done so more often, also netting at least twice in three matches with Cagliari.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.