Barcelona confirm Pique knee ligament damage, Roberto out for two months

By Sports Desk November 22, 2020

Gerard Pique suffered knee ligament damage during Saturday's 1-0 defeat to Atletico Madrid, Barcelona have confirmed.

Pique hobbled off in clear discomfort at the Wanda Metropolitano after Angel Correa landed awkwardly on his lower right leg.

Late on Saturday, Barca announced the experienced centre-back had suffered a sprain and further analysis revealed damage to both the interior lateral and anterior cruciate ligaments.

"Tests carried out this Sunday on Gerard Pique have shown that he has a grade three sprain in the internal lateral ligament and partial injury to the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee," a statement read.

"The evolution of the injury will condition his availability."

Although Barca declined to put a timeframe on Pique's recovery, Catalan paper Sport reported that much hinges upon whether or not surgery is required.

A sprain allowed to heel on its own might see Pique back in action within two months, while going under the knife would see him sidelined for between four to six months.

The bad news continues to mount for boss Ronald Koeman, who will also be without the versatile Sergi Roberto for two months due to a ruptured thigh muscle.

Barca are languishing in midtable in LaLiga after eight games, with Roberto and Pique joining Sergio Busquets, Ansu Fati and Samuel Umtiti in the treatment room.

Related items

  • Barca 'cycle has finished' as Laporta eyes 'renovation' Barca 'cycle has finished' as Laporta eyes 'renovation'

    Barcelona president Joan Laporta said a cycle has finished for the LaLiga giants and he wants to "carry out a renovation" after an underwhelming 2020-21 campaign.

    Barca have fallen off the pace late in the LaLiga title race and will likely finish third in Ronald Koeman's first season as head coach at Camp Nou.

    Koeman's Barca lifted the Copa del Rey title last month but crashed out of the Champions League in the round of 16 at the hands of Paris Saint-Germain.

    Laporta, who assumed office for his second tenure as Barca president in March, said he is seeking an off-season shake-up amid links with Borussia Dortmund sensation Erling Haaland, Lyon captain Memphis Depay, Manchester City star Sergio Aguero and defender Eric Garcia, and Liverpool's Georginio Wijnaldum.

    "A cycle has finished and we are working to carry out a renovation," Laporta said at the Festa de l'Esport Catala

    "We have been eliminated from the Champions League very early and the league has been lost in an incomprehensible way.

    "I'm talking about the end of the cycle and renewal because that's what I think needs to be done.

    "Starting next week we are going to make a series of decisions and at that time we will comment.

    "Now what we have to do is work hard and effectively to have a very competitive team to win the Champions League and to win the league.

    "I already said that when the season is over, I would evaluate the results, the game, the attitude, the mentality and the ambition."

    Barcelona last won LaLiga in 2018-19 while they have only reached the Champions League semi-finals once since last lifting the European crown in 2015.

    Barca's 2020-21 last-16 exit was their worst Champions League result since the 2006-07 season.

  • Pochettino hopeful of having Neymar available for Coupe de France final Pochettino hopeful of having Neymar available for Coupe de France final

    Mauricio Pochettino hopes to have Neymar available for Wednesday's Coupe de France final after Paris Saint-Germain appealed against the forward's suspension.

    Neymar was booked four minutes after being brought off the bench in last week's eventful 2-2 semi-final draw with Montpellier, which PSG won 6-5 on penalties to progress.

    That triggered a one-match ban linked to a pre-existing suspended sentence, having also sat out two matches after being sent off against Lille last month.

    The Brazil international hit out at the decision on social media, but PSG may yet have Neymar – plus defender Presnel Kimpembe – in their squad to face Monaco.

    PSG are awaiting a decision from the relevant authorities and Pochettino insists his side's plans will not be disrupted either way.

    "We don't know if they will be available, but we hope so. We will see in the next few hours if we can count on them," Pochettino said at Tuesday's pre-match news conference.

    "We are awaiting a decision and will prepare as normal. I will pick my team tomorrow. The rest does not change."

    PSG lost both league meetings with Monaco this season – 3-2 in November and 2-0 at home in February – and the two sides are involved in a thrilling Ligue 1 title battle.

    Reigning champions PSG are second in the standings heading into the final set of fixtures, with leaders Lille one point better off and Monaco two points further back in a three-way race.

    Pochettino faces a huge week in his first half-season at the Parc des Princes, with Wednesday's clash against in-form Monaco at the Stade de France followed by a league trip to Brest.

    "We are coming to the end of the season and have two games that we must win – they are both finals," Pochettino said. 

    "We don't need any extra motivation, and the physical aspect will not be a problem for us. There is a good atmosphere in the camp as we are close to two titles.

    "Monaco deserve credit for their wins against us and they are a physically strong team with a lot of qualities.

    "I think we deserved better in the last game between us, but they have played well. It is a final and I hope now the result will be different."

    Pochettino took over from Thomas Tuchel in the Parc des Princes dugout in January and he lifted the Trophee des Champions in his third game in charge.

    That was the first trophy the former Espanyol, Southampton and Tottenham boss has won and he is relaxed ahead of his side's latest final.

    "I am a calm coach. I don't have much excitement beforehand," said Pochettino, who was a beaten finalist with Tottenham in the 2018-19 Champions League.

    "We know our responsibilities and want to be as efficient as possible. I have confidence in the team and we will prepare in the right way for this final."

  • Hazard: Lille winning Ligue 1 would top 2010-11 Hazard: Lille winning Ligue 1 would top 2010-11

    Eden Hazard believes Lille winning Ligue 1 this season would be a greater achievement than when he inspired the club to a domestic double a decade ago.

    Belgium star Hazard enjoyed a breakout campaign in 2010-11 when Lille won Ligue 1 and the Coupe de France.

    He left for Chelsea after the following season, when he retained the Ligue 1 Player of the Year crown, but has kept a keen eye on Les Dogues ever since, having joined the club at 14 and progressed through the youth ranks.

    "I owe almost everything to Lille," he said in an interview with the club's official website.

    "If I am here today, it is partly thanks to the people I met in the north [of France], to the coaches, but also to all those whom I was able to meet during these years. 

    "They all have a part in my success."

     

    Christophe Galtier's current vintage will wrap up an improbable Ligue 1 success this weekend if they are able to match Paris Saint-Germain's result.

    PSG are away at relegation-threatened Brest, while Lille travel to mid-table Angers, although last weekend's frustrating 0-0 draw against Saint-Etienne has done plenty to set nerves jangling – their advantage at the summit trimmed to a solitary point.

    Bolstered by the lavish wealth of their Qatari owners, PSG have won seven of the past eight French titles, with Monaco's success in 2016-17 the outlier.

    "Honestly, if [Lille] are champions this season, it would be even better than us in 2011, because there is now the Qatar version of PSG, which makes this championship even more difficult to win," Hazard added.

    "The supporters deserve it. When we won this double, they had to wait over 50 years to see the club lift a trophy. And in this complicated period, it would be good for everyone. 

    "The people of the north deserve it and especially the players."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.