Southgate: 'Outstanding' Grealish moving up England pecking order

By Sports Desk November 15, 2020

Gareth Southgate acknowledged that Jack Grealish is working his way up the England pecking order after another impressive individual performance in Sunday's 2-0 defeat to Belgium.

Grealish was the undoubted highlight for the Three Lions as they saw their hopes of another UEFA Nations League Finals appearance dashed in Leuven.

The Aston Villa man took more touches (76) than any of his fellow England forwards, completed more passes in the opposition half (47) than any other player on the pitch, and won 86 per cent of his 14 duels.

Asked if Grealish had further strengthened his claim for regular England starts as a result, manager Southgate told ITV: "Yeah, 100 per cent. 

"I sort of explained to him what we wanted to see when we brought him in in September. 

"I think it's been helpful for him to bed in with the group so that he knows the way we want to play and the players get an understanding with him. 

"Today was a great game for us to see him in and to see the level and I couldn't speak highly enough of his performance.

"What I saw, that I knew I would see, was someone with the bravery to play. 

"I think he took the ball in tight areas, his technique was good, he took players out of the game. We knew he would buy a lot of free-kicks, which of course he did. 

"I just thought he was outstanding. He should be absolutely delighted with the way he played."

Grealish, too, alluded to his private conversations with Southgate, insisting they had been key to his emergence on the international stage.

He continued: "I said the other day, he's been brilliant with me since I first came here in September. He told me what I needed to do to get into the side and I've gone away and worked on that. 

"At the end of the day, that's what you need to do in football; there's only one person that you need to impress if you want to get in the team and that's the manager. 

"He obviously gave me some praise after the game, which is nice."

Related items

  • West Ham's Michail Antonio to accept invitation to join Jamaica's Reggae Boyz - report West Ham's Michail Antonio to accept invitation to join Jamaica's Reggae Boyz - report

    Jamaica’s World Cup campaign is set to be bolstered by the addition of West Ham striker Michail Antonio, who reports say, is to accept an invitation from the Jamaica Football Federation to represent the Reggae Boyz.

  • Ashwin claims 400th Test wicket to join list of India greats Ashwin claims 400th Test wicket to join list of India greats

    Ravichandran Ashwin became only the fourth India player to take 400 Test wickets, reaching the landmark on a dramatic second day of the third match in the series against England.

    The all-rounder trapped Jofra Archer lbw in England's second innings as he achieved the career feat in a low-scoring day-night match at the spectacular Narendra Modi Stadium.

    Ashwin joins Anil Kumble, Kapil Dev and Harbhajan Singh on the distinguished list of those to claim 400 scalps in the longest format for India.

    The 34-year-old is the 16th player to the milestone overall, getting there in only his 77th match. He is the second fastest to 400 too, behind only Sri Lanka's Muttiah Muralitharan in terms of games played.

    Ashwin moved six wickets shy of the milestone by taking match figures of 8-95 in an emphatic defeat of Joe Root's side at M.A. Chidambaram Stadium last time out, having claimed 9-207 in the first Test.

    He also struck a sublime century - the fifth of his career - in a magnificent man-of-the-match performance at his home ground in Chennai, where India levelled the series at 1-1.

    After claiming 3-26 as the tourists were bowled out for 112 on day one of the game in Ahmedabad, Ashwin removed Ben Stokes and Ollie Pope before Archer became his 400th Test victim, given out for a two-ball duck after attempting a sweep shot.

    Sachin Tendulkar - Test cricket's all-time leading runscorer - was quick to congratulate his compatriot on Twitter.

    "Terrific consistency!" Tendulkar wrote. "Well done, keep it up. Joy to watch you bowl."

  • Five Inter staff members test positive for coronavirus Five Inter staff members test positive for coronavirus

    Inter have confirmed that five members of staff have tested positive for coronavirus.

    Managing directors Alessandro Antonello and Giuseppe Marotta, sporting director Piero Ausilio and lawyer Angelo Capellini have all returned positive tests.

    An unspecified member of the Serie A leaders' technical staff has also tested positive for COVID-19.

    A statement on Inter's official website read: "All coaches and the entire team will follow the procedures set out in the health protocol."

    Inter will be desperate to ensure that this outbreak does not spread to their first-team squad or coaches.

    The Italians extended their lead at the summit of table to four points with a 3-0 win over city rivals Milan last time out.

    With no European commitments over the remainder of the season, Antonio Conte's men are strong favourites to end an 11-year wait for the title.

    They last lifted the Scudetto during Jose Mourinho's spell at the club in 2010, which also brought European Cup success.

    Juventus, who have won the last nine Serie A titles, sit eight points back in third place with a game in hand.

    Inter are next in action on Sunday, when they face Genoa at the San Siro.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.