Morata a 'different player' since Juventus move, declares Luis Enrique

By Sports Desk November 06, 2020

Spain coach Luis Enrique had no hesitations in handing Alvaro Morata an international recall after claiming the forward has turned himself into a different player at Juventus.

Morata last played for Spain in a Euro 2020 qualifier against Romania last November, seemingly falling out of favour since.

But the 28-year-old re-joined Juventus on loan from Atletico Madrid in September, and an upturn in form has brought him six goals in seven games for the Bianconeri.

Morata has scored 17 times in 33 appearances for Spain since making his debut in November 2014, but his consistency at club level has been questioned in the past.

However, Luis Enrique has closely monitored Morata's performances at Juve and seen enough to warrant his return to the squad.

Spain face the Netherlands in a friendly on Wednesday, before Nations League clashes with Switzerland and Germany.

"I call on Morata because since he returned to Juventus, he is confident and his numbers indicate that," Luis Enrique told a media conference on Friday.

"You can see a different player with many aspects improved in attack and defence. It is always a pleasure to have Alvaro again.

"Those of us who are outside can appreciate that, in terms of confidence and performance, Morata in attack is better than previously."

Luis Enrique also named Atletico midfielder Koke in his squad after an international exile of just over two years.

Koke, 28, last played for Spain in a 4-1 friendly defeat of Wales in October 2018.

The coach continued: "I have always liked Koke, he is of a high level and as a person he's 10 out of 10. The midfield is my weakness and there is a lot of competition. We will ask him for other things."

With Liverpool midfielder Thiago Alcantara absent due to injury, there was also a first senior call-up for Koke's Atletico team-mate Marcos Llorente, and Luis Enrique backed him to make an impact.

He added: "Llorente is a very complete player, I will ask him where he is most comfortable. He is very versatile.

"He has scored goals, [got] assists, is powerful, well-equipped technically. He is eager to see what he can offer us.

"There are players who are not included due to injury, but it opens up the opportunity to see others. It is an interesting situation for me, to prepare for three very interesting games."

Related items

  • Koeman furious at missed Barcelona penalties: This can't be accepted Koeman furious at missed Barcelona penalties: This can't be accepted

    Barcelona coach Ronald Koeman was furious that his side missed two penalties in their Copa del Rey victory over Cornella.

    The Catalans required extra time to overcome the Segunda B side, with Ousmane Dembele and Martin Braithwaite eventually securing a 2-0 win.

    Cornella goalkeeper Ramon Juan had otherwise kept Barca at bay, making seven saves including two from the spot to deny Miralem Pjanic in the first half and Dembele in the second.

    Those missed opportunities forced Barca to go to extra time for the third game in a row - after two Supercopa de Espana draws - for the first time in their history.

    Barca have now missed five of their past eight penalties in all competitions, including their most recent four in a row, and Koeman slammed their success rate as ill-fitting of a club of their stature.

    "The most important thing is always to go through, but we can't be happy because we scored goals," he said.

    "We missed two penalties and you have to have more responsibility in these types of games.

    "Again, 120 minutes, it's an important topic because we've had three games [like that] and that's on us. We created chances and two penalties... that cannot be.

    "I can't complain about the effort but it's not only running, but also creating and being effective. It was really tough today. It cannot be and it can't be accepted.

    "You have to win matches earlier. We missed two penalties, we had chances. It cannot be that a team like Barca misses so much.

    "I don't understand it, either, because we usually have enough players who can score a penalty. It can be scary. I truly don't know why we've missed so many penalties. You can't miss two penalties as Barcelona players. This isn't serious."

    Barca are next in action away to Elche in LaLiga on Sunday.

  • Minnesota United, Vancouver Whitecaps select Jamaicans McMaster, Brown, in MLS Super Draft Minnesota United, Vancouver Whitecaps select Jamaicans McMaster, Brown, in MLS Super Draft

    Justin McMaster and Javain Brown were selected by Minnesota United and the Vancouver Whitecaps, respectively, in the MLS Super Draft earlier today.

  • Marseille confirm signing of Napoli forward Milik Marseille confirm signing of Napoli forward Milik

    Arkadiusz Milik has joined Marseille on loan from Napoli until 2022 and the forward's move could be made permanent for a reported €12million.

    Milik, 26, heads to the Ligue 1 club after four and a half seasons at Napoli, although he has not made an appearance in 2020-21.

    The Poland international scored 48 goals in 122 games in Serie A, having arrived from Ajax for a reported €35m in 2016.

    Knee injuries hampered his Napoli career, and his switch to Marseille was confirmed on Thursday.

    While Napoli said Marseille had an "obligation to make the transfer permanent", the Ligue 1 side claimed it was an option.

    Reports say a permanent deal would be an initial €8m plus €4m in bonuses.

    Milik had also been linked to Premier League sides Tottenham and Everton, but he was delighted to get the move to Marseille, who sit sixth in the Ligue 1 table – 10 points behind Paris Saint-Germain but holding a game in hand.

    "I am happy and proud to announce that I am officially a player of Olympique de Marseille, one of the most prestigious clubs in Europe," Milik wrote on Twitter.

    "I'm ready for this new adventure. Allez OM."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.