EPL

Maguire pleased with Man Utd's defensive improvements since Tottenham shock

By Sports Desk October 29, 2020

Harry Maguire is pleased with the defensive improvements made by Manchester United on the back of their 6-1 home defeat to Tottenham this month.

United suffered their joint-heaviest defeat in the Premier League as they lost by a five-goal margin for the fourth time, and the first since October 2011 against Manchester City.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's men are unbeaten in four matches since then, though, keeping back-to-back clean sheets against Chelsea and RB Leipzig after winning away at Newcastle United and Paris Saint-Germain.

Maguire, who has played every minute in the Premier League this season, admits his side were at "crisis" point after conceding 12 goals in their first three matches.

"After Tottenham, we were all devastated," he told the club's official website. "We were three games into the season but it felt like we were in a big crisis.

"It was quite a strange feeling, but we don't expect to lose games at Old Trafford - and we definitely don't expect to lose games like we did.

"The first three games we were conceding far too many chances, so as a defensive unit, having kept the most clean sheets in Europe last year, we knew we had to improve, we had to be more solid."

United faced 54 shots in their opening three top-flight matches - 18 of those on target - which is more than any other side over the same period, West Brom being the next worst with 52.

However, Solskjaer's men have faced 13 shots in their past two outings - a tally bettered only by Brighton and Hove Albion (10) - which captain Maguire puts down to hard work behind the scenes.

"I think since the international break we have gone back to not conceding chances, as was the case last year," he said. "We were a solid unit then and we played from a solid base.

"It has been really important - as a defender especially - to make sure that we give the front lads every opportunity to go and win the game.

"They score one, two, three goals, it should end up in a win and we're doing that at the moment.

"It's a start. It's still early on this season. It is going to be a long journey but we've got to improve. We know that and we are doing so at the minute, but there's a long way to go."

Related items

  • Kerrigan signs with rival Eagles after bidding farewell to Washington Kerrigan signs with rival Eagles after bidding farewell to Washington

    The Philadelphia Eagles have bolstered their defense with the signing of Ryan Kerrigan.

    Defensive end Kerrigan has spent 10 seasons with the Washington Football Team after being picked in the first round of the 2011 draft.

    A four-time Pro Bowler, Kerrigan holds the Washington franchise record for sacks with 95.5, which are the fifth-most in the NFL since 2011.

    "I'll never be able to sum up what these past 10 years have meant to me in an Instagram post, but what I can say is that they have been some of the best of my life," Kerrigan wrote in a farewell message to Washington on Instagram. 

    "I hope you had as much fun watching me as I did playing for you. Thank you, Washington, for everything."

    In a subsequent post announcing his signing with Washington's NFC East rivals the Eagles, he wrote: "I know I probably wasn't your favourite player over the past decade, but @philadelphiaeagles fans I'm fired up to be playing for you guys now!"

    He joins a Philadelphia defense that was seventh in the NFL in forcing negative passing plays in 2020 with 53 for minus 349 yards.

    The Eagles are not short on talented pass rushers. Brandon Graham was fifth in the league among edge rushers last season with a pressure rate of 23.5 per cent, while Josh Sweat's adjusted sack rate of 4.4 per cent was marginally better than that of Kerrigan (4.3) in 2020.

    Interior defensive lineman Fletcher Cox had 6.5 sacks and has at least 5.5 sacks in five of his past six seasons.

    The Eagles will hope the addition of Kerrigan to an already talented defensive front will help them bounce back from a 4-11-1 season under new head coach Nick Sirianni.

  • Solskjaer still unsure of Mata's future at Man United Solskjaer still unsure of Mata's future at Man United

    Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is unsure whether Juan Mata will remain at Old Trafford beyond this season.

    The Spanish midfielder has spent the last seven-and-a-half years at Old Trafford, racking up 271 appearances during that time.

    However, he has struggled for minutes this season – featuring just 16 times in all competitions – and is due to become a free agent next month.

    United have the option to trigger a 12-month extension in Mata's contract, but Solskjaer insists the player himself will have the final say over his future.

    "I've kept the dialogue with Juan and we're due to speak again very soon," he said at a news conference on Monday previewing his side's home match with Fulham. 

    "Of course, he's not played as much as he'd like and that's a decision that we'll make with him. He's in charge of his own future and he's been such a good servant for the club. 

    "But of course, it's hard, as I've said so many times, to leave good players out, good people out of the team. 

    "It's about what does he want as his next step in his career? Is it still play out his career here, or is it going somewhere else? We haven't made a final decision yet."

    Mata's appearance in a much-changed United's 2-1 loss to Leicester City last week was just his fifth start of the season in the Premier League, not helped by injuries and family matters.

    Prior to that rare outing against the Foxes, Mata had played just two minutes of top-flight football for United in 2021, coming on as a late substitute in February's 3-1 win against Newcastle United.

    He has failed to score in the league since April 2019 but does have two assists in 2020-21, which equates to 0.42 per 90 minutes and is the best record of any United player to have played more than once this term.

    Bruno Fernandes is next on the list with 0.33 assists per 90 minutes, albeit over a far greater period of 36 games compared to Mata's eight.

    The 33-year-old also ranks highly for chances created, the Spaniard's 1.69 per 90 minutes behind only Luke Shaw (2.53) and Fernandes (2.81).

    Serie A side Lazio are reportedly the favourites to sign the former Valencia and Chelsea man should he depart Old Trafford in the coming weeks. 

  • Ter Stegen confirms he will miss Germany's Euro 2020 campaign Ter Stegen confirms he will miss Germany's Euro 2020 campaign

    Marc-Andre ter Stegen has confirmed he will miss Germany's Euro 2020 campaign after opting to undergo a "therapeutic procedure" on his knee.

    Sunday's LaLiga results – including Celta Vigo's shock win at Camp Nou – mean Barcelona can no longer win the title, with the club and Ter Stegen subsequently deciding to cut his season short.

    A brief statement released by the club revealed Ter Stegen will "undergo a therapeutic procedure on the patellar tendon in his right knee on Thursday May 20 in Malmo by Dr Hakan Alfredson and under the supervision of the club's medial services".

    While Barca did not outline a return date, Ter Stegen provided an update on his official Instagram account on Monday, confirming it means he will play no part at the delayed Euro 2020.

    "I'm disappointed about yesterday's defeat and that now we can no longer win La Liga," he wrote.

    "After a complicated start to the season, we showed good character going 19 matches unbeaten – but we weren't able to keep this form.

    "I have decided together with the medical team of the club that I will do a complementary intervention on my knee.

    "I'm sad that I will miss Euro 2020 this summer with Germany. For the first time in many years I will be a fan at home supporting my country, I hope we win it!

    "After the summer break, when we are back on the pitch I hope to be able to play with fans [in attendance] once again, I miss it!

    "Thank you for your support throughout a difficult season and stay healthy!"

    Ter Stegen has featured 31 times in the league in 2020-21 for Barcelona, but his overall performance for the season has not been quite up to the high standards he has set previously.

    He has conceded 32 goals from shots on target worth 29.07 expected goals on target (xGOT), meaning he has let in nearly three goals more than expected. Celta's first goal on Sunday came from a speculative Santi Mina shot worth just 0.04 xGOT.

    Ter Stegen's xGOT differential of -2.93 this term is by far his worst across a single season at the club. In 2015-16, it was -1.44, though he only played seven LaLiga matches, while his next worst was -0.16 in 2019-20, a narrow margin which essentially meant he conceded as many goals as would be expected given the quality of the shots on target he faced.

    But for this procedure the ex-Borussia Monchengladbach man certainly would have been a part of the Germany squad next month, though he would have been playing back-up to Bayern Munich's Manuel Neuer.

     

    While Ter Stegen has let in more goals than he should have this season, Neuer has conceded 40 times in the Bundesliga from an xGOT value of 42.09, therefore preventing two goals in 2020-21.

    The Neuer or Ter Stegen debate has been a hot topic for Germany for a while now, though the data suggests that, at least this season, the Bayern star remains the safer option between the posts.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.