Mourinho dismisses agency link in Son contract talks

By Sports Desk October 28, 2020

Jose Mourinho claimed Son Heung-min's decision to join the same management agency as him has no link to discussions over a new Tottenham contract for the South Korea star.

Son is in talks with Spurs over a new deal and recently joined CAA Base, who will represent his interests in addition to Mourinho's.

The forward has made a fine start to the campaign, scoring 10 goals in all competitions, and is contracted to the club until the end of the 2022-23 season.

Mourinho said at a media conference ahead of their Europa League clash with Antwerp that Son's decision to join CAA Base will not affect discussions, and he remains confident the 28-year-old will agree a new deal in the not-too-distant future.

"The agency represents me on my image rights and commercial outside my football job and that's it," Mourinho said.

"I don't care about who represents players. I just care about what players give me on the pitch. I had nothing to do with that.

"The majority of my players don't know who the agents are. An impact on Son's future? I can probably say on the commercial level it will be a big impact because it is a worldwide and important agency.

"In relation to his contract, I am not worried about it. He has three years left on his contract. There is a good relationship between Daniel Levy and the people who represent him. We believe that sooner or later that will be resolved.

"I do not see any problem with that because he is a player with three years of contract. In other clubs there are problems with other players because they have contracts in a few months, but three years is a long time."

Son has formed a brilliant partnership with Harry Kane so far this season, with the duo combining for nine Premier League goals – one shy of a club record.

Mourinho also believes Gareth Bale is starting to show the kind of form he wants from the on-loan Real Madrid forward.

The 31-year-old Wales international, who did not feature against Burnley on Monday, will start the Group J encounter against Antwerp as he continues to build up his match fitness.

"Bale is playing and we all have not just a feeling but the data to show that Bale is arriving," explained Mourinho.

"He is working very hard, he is being a great example for everybody. A big guy like him travelled to Burnley, stayed on the bench for 90 minutes, didn't play for one minute.

"His behaviour as a team guy is incredible, his behaviour as a Tottenham guy is remarkable and he is coming. I can see just with my eyes but then scientific data is also coming and he is working very, very well.

"He is improving, improving a lot and I think already we can see Gareth at a good level and hopefully he can fly because he is working very hard."

Tottenham are set to be without Eric Dier and Tanguy Ndombele for the match against the Belgium side with the midfield pair nursing slight injuries.

Mourinho added: "We left Dier behind because he comes with muscular injury from Monday night. Tanguy is not also coming because he felt little bit. We are not going to risk when have other options."

Related items

  • Guardiola refuses to be drawn on Kane speculation amid Man City links Guardiola refuses to be drawn on Kane speculation amid Man City links

    Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola refused to be drawn on speculation linking the Premier League champions with Tottenham star Harry Kane.

    Kane has reportedly told Tottenham he wants to leave, sparking apparent interest from City, neighbours Manchester United and Chelsea.

    Speaking after City's 3-2 Premier League defeat to Brighton and Hove Albion on Tuesday, Guardiola declined to fuel the rumours.

    "Next question," Guardiola said during his post-match news conference. "He's a Tottenham Hotspurs player. Please."

    Kane's future is unclear given his ambition to win trophies which has been unfulfilled at boyhood club Spurs.

    City are in the market for a new forward with free agent Sergio Aguero exiting this off-season, although the club have also been linked with Borussia Dortmund sensation Erling Haaland.

    Meanwhile, Guardiola insisted he was not concerned by City's recent form ahead of the Champions League final against Premier League rivals Chelsea on May 29.

    Guardiola's City have lost two of their past three matches, conceding eight goals in the process.

    City have lost six Premier League games having led by two or more goals – only Tottenham (eight) have suffered more such defeats in the competition's history.

    Against Brighton, City's possession figure was just 37 per cent, the lowest recorded by a side managed by Guardiola in a single top-flight match.

    "On Sunday, with our people, we are going to lift the trophy," Guardiola said. "And after we are going to go for the final of the Champions League.

    "I am concerned because this is the final of the Champions League, because the opponent is so tough. I saw incredible things today in the pitch with 11 against 10 for 80 minutes in the Premier League.

    "We are fortunate to lift the [Premier League] trophy and we did it ourselves. Nobody gave us absolutely anything; nothing.

    "That's why I am so proud of the team; it means how difficult is the Premier League again, and now we're going to prepare as best as possible for the final of the Champions League."

  • Barca 'cycle has finished' as Laporta eyes 'renovation' Barca 'cycle has finished' as Laporta eyes 'renovation'

    Barcelona president Joan Laporta said a cycle has finished for the LaLiga giants and he wants to "carry out a renovation" after an underwhelming 2020-21 campaign.

    Barca have fallen off the pace late in the LaLiga title race and will likely finish third in Ronald Koeman's first season as head coach at Camp Nou.

    Koeman's Barca lifted the Copa del Rey title last month but crashed out of the Champions League in the round of 16 at the hands of Paris Saint-Germain.

    Laporta, who assumed office for his second tenure as Barca president in March, said he is seeking an off-season shake-up amid links with Borussia Dortmund sensation Erling Haaland, Lyon captain Memphis Depay, Manchester City star Sergio Aguero and defender Eric Garcia, and Liverpool's Georginio Wijnaldum.

    "A cycle has finished and we are working to carry out a renovation," Laporta said at the Festa de l'Esport Catala

    "We have been eliminated from the Champions League very early and the league has been lost in an incomprehensible way.

    "I'm talking about the end of the cycle and renewal because that's what I think needs to be done.

    "Starting next week we are going to make a series of decisions and at that time we will comment.

    "Now what we have to do is work hard and effectively to have a very competitive team to win the Champions League and to win the league.

    "I already said that when the season is over, I would evaluate the results, the game, the attitude, the mentality and the ambition."

    Barcelona last won LaLiga in 2018-19 while they have only reached the Champions League semi-finals once since last lifting the European crown in 2015.

    Barca's 2020-21 last-16 exit was their worst Champions League result since the 2006-07 season.

  • Chelsea boss Tuchel: VAR decisions are horrible against us Chelsea boss Tuchel: VAR decisions are horrible against us

    Thomas Tuchel railed against VAR after Chelsea claimed a crucial win in their pursuit of Champions League football.

    The Blues leapfrogged Leicester City into third place in the Premier League with a 2-1 victory that means they remain in control of their top-four destiny ahead of the final game of the season.

    But they were made to work for their win – not only by the Foxes but also by the officials, according to Tuchel.

    The German was aggrieved at the failure to award a penalty when Timo Werner was tripped by Youri Tielemans in the first half, a decision he felt was in keeping with a recent theme.

    He told Sky Sports: "It's a clear penalty. Honestly, VAR decisions are horrible against us and it's the third time in a row.

    "We had a goal against Arsenal denied with a handball, we have a goal against Leicester in the cup [disallowed], and then today it's a penalty but it's a foul against us.

    "This has to stop, of course. But we were not worried at half-time, we just said let's do it again and force it."

    With the sides facing off just three days on from their FA Cup final meeting, it was perhaps inevitable that tempers would flare.

    And Tuchel was unimpressed with Leicester's contributions to a touchline spat involving both sets of players that kicked off as the match reached its conclusion.

    He said: "It's not so easy to lose in difficult games. We had to swallow it, we showed respect in the cup final. It got a bit heated up but it's like this.

    "I didn't say that, I said it's hard to lose in big matches."

    Chelsea were without Kai Havertz on Wednesday and also lost the influential N'Golo Kante to injury just before half-time.

    Asked about the pair's prognosis, Tuchel replied: "I don't know yet, we will check them tomorrow. I have a good feeling with N'Golo, he said he felt something and didn't want to go into the risk of a muscle injury so I hope for Sunday. With Kai, the same."

    Brendan Rodgers also aired his grievances with the referee after the game, suggesting Wesley Fofana was unfortunate to concede a penalty for a trip on Werner in the second half.

    He said: "We're obviously disappointed with the goals, we conceded a needless corner and then didn't pick them up well enough.

    "And the penalty I think is very, very, very, very harsh, but it's one that Wesley will learn from.

    "He's so good in so many ways but you've just got to be patient in that one, and Luke as well.

    "But they're 19 and 20 years of age the two boys, they've been absolutely amazing, and tonight will be really good learning for them."

    Defeat for the newly crowned FA Cup winners means they are likely reliant on a Liverpool slip-up to secure their place in the Champions League next season.

    But Rodgers insists the disappointment of missing out would be tempered by the fact that his players have achieved so much already this term.

    He added: "It'd be really disappointing but I think our story and your story is different.

    "Our story is the players have been fantastic in terms of their consistency and if we just fall short after 38 games then the team with the eighth-biggest budget fighting against the level we've been fighting at means we've fought really hard and just missed out.

    "However, there are still points to play for, we just need to win our game at the weekend and see where we are."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.